Howe: Big Ten Hoops Power Rankings 1-14

We had four spurts of relevence between 1956-1988. It can be done with the right people in place. And you could argue that Lute's teams in 1976 and 1977, with Sky King at center, would have easily qualified for the NCAA's if 68 teams got in back then. And that was even more true in Ralph Miller's era.

Iowa doesn't have to be a blue blood. But it can be what it was that era. The B1G certainly wasn't any weaker and if anything may have been stronger.

The thing is, Iowa will have other spurts of relevance. They just aren't in one right now. If we were always in a spurt of relevance, we would be a blue blood.

The thing is, Iowa will have other spurts of relevance. They just aren't in one right now. If we were always in a spurt of relevance, we would be a blue blood.

Agreed. The program was in a small 3 year spurt a few years back. Unfortunately it didn't result in much tournament success outside of first round wins. It appears that the program is trending up again this year. Only time will tell if it actually is another spurt and how good of one it may be.

Give Fran those first 2 years and his record is way better. Try using some variables when forming an opinion instead of seeing everything in black and white. You wont sound so dumb.
I'm not discussing Fran with this comment, dumb ass. Reading comprehension. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Yes and now he has Iowa at 14 wins with 14 games to go. Enjoy the ride while it's there. Hang on tight though as I'm sure that there's some bad bumps in the road coming up
I'm enjoying watching the players' games evolve. That's about all I get out of it. I enjoy individual games. My mind is made up on Fran. He'd need a crazy season to get me to change my mind on him.

The point was Davis was "given" those 2 years with the team he inherited and Fran was "given" is first 2 years with the team he inherited. Pretty much everyone agrees that the first couple years shouldn't be held against him, yet people still sight his overall record at Iowa and say things like "only 3 tournament appearances in 9 years".
I was a huge Tom Davis fan. So there is no Fran bias associated with this post. Below are the overall conference records and winning percentages for Tom and Fran in years 3 through 8 at Iowa.

Fran = 56-52 (51.9%)
Tom = 49-59 (45.4%)

Tom was 4-14 in Year 4 and 5-13 in Year 8. These were his only seasons with a losing conference record at Iowa.

Fran was 4-14 in Year 8. This is his only season with a losing conference record (excluding the first 2 when he was 4-14 and 8-10 respectively...and didn't have Raveling recruits on the roster).

Note - Tom's and Fran's Year 8 are eerily similar (and bad)...had no idea until starting this bit of research.

Tom then went 51-35 (59.3%) in his remaining 5 years at Iowa...far better winning percentage than the preceding 6 year period. If Fran is able to replicate this he will average a 12-8 conference record over the remainder of this season and the next 4.

Did people want Tom gone at the time? Do people want Fran gone if he does the same?

Agreed. The program was in a small 3 year spurt a few years back. Unfortunately it didn't result in much tournament success outside of first round wins. It appears that the program is trending up again this year. Only time will tell if it actually is another spurt and how good of one it may be.
This is my main problem with Fran. The good 'spurts" are ending in 2nd round blow out losses. That's not good enough for me.

What sucks is the NCAA tournament tends to be a crapshoot, yet its what your season is most heavily weighted on. You have neutral locations, tons of publicity and hype, unfamiliar opponents, weird travel schedules...lots can go wrong and only one slip up can end your season.

This is my main problem with Fran. The good 'spurts" are ending in 2nd round blow out losses. That's not good enough for me.
One of those losses was to the national champion who won their sweet 16 game by more points against Miami and beat their final 4 foe (Oklahoma) by 44 points. 44! The other blowout loss was to a team who ended up losing to the National Champion in the E8.

We've just run up against some really good second round teams, our seed hasn't been good enough or bad enough to prevent it.

What sucks is the NCAA tournament tends to be a crapshoot, yet its what your season is most heavily weighted on. You have neutral locations, tons of publicity and hype, unfamiliar opponents, weird travel schedules...lots can go wrong and only one slip up can end your season.

That's why I put almost no stock in how a coach does in the tournament. To me it's all about how often they make it and what seed they have. So far it hasn't been good enough for me but looking at all the variables, I still think Fran has just as good of a chance to do better going forward than a new random coach would. If iowa could bring in a proven top 20 coach, it would be a no brainer. But of all the coaches we could realistically get, my money is still on Fran being the better (or at least equal) option.

That's why I put almost no stock in how a coach does in the tournament. To me it's all about how often they make it and what seed they have. So far it hasn't been good enough for me but looking at all the variables, I still think Fran has just as good of a chance to do better going forward than a new random coach would. If iowa could bring in a proven top 20 coach, it would be a no brainer. But of all the coaches we could realistically get, my money is still on Fran being the better (or at least equal) option.
Agree.

In 2016 they lost to Nova who won the title. Nova then beat #3 seed Miami by more than they beat Iowa and then blew out #2 Oklahoma by even more than that in the final four. Sure getting blown out to Nova at the time was disappointing, but after seeing what else Nova had in store that tournament....it was no wonder Iowa got crushed

The 2015 Gonzaga loss was pretty painful. I thought Iowa had a legit chance there. Unfortunately Gonzaga shot 63% from 3 and Iowa couldn't stop Wiltjer. What sucks is had Iowa won that they would've played #11 seeded Steve Alford. How crazy would that have been. Gonzaga blew them out.

The year before that...that loss to Tennessee in the play-in after Iowa collapsed in the regular season...that was brutal.

That's how I feel about the tournament. 1 game shouldnt dictate your entire season. But at the same time, that's what makes March Madness so damn magical...so I wouldn't have it any other way

One of those losses was to the national champion who won their sweet 16 game by more points against Miami and beat their final 4 foe (Oklahoma) by 44 points. 44! The other blowout loss was to a team who ended up losing to the National Champion in the E8.

We've just run up against some really good second round teams, our seed hasn't been good enough or bad enough to prevent it.
If we are 20 points worse than the eventual NC, I'm not happy with that result. Any year. Just like I'm not happy when we are 30 points worse than Michigan St. I'm not concerned with our seed. If we can't at least be competitive with the top teams, I want a coach that can be.

In 2016 they lost to Nova who won the title. Nova then beat #3 seed Miami by more than they beat Iowa and then blew out #2 Oklahoma by even more than that in the final four. Sure getting blown out to Nova at the time was disappointing, but after seeing what else Nova had in store that tournament....it was no wonder Iowa got crushed

The 2015 Gonzaga loss was pretty painful. I thought Iowa had a legit chance there. Unfortunately Gonzaga shot 63% from 3 and Iowa couldn't stop Wiltjer. What sucks is had Iowa won that they would've played #11 seeded Steve Alford. How crazy would that have been. Gonzaga blew them out.

The year before that...that loss to Tennessee in the play-in after Iowa collapsed in the regular season...that was brutal.
If we are 20 points worse than the eventual NC, I'm not happy with that result. Any year. Just like I'm not happy when we are 30 points worse than Michigan St. I'm not concerned with our seed. If we can't at least be competitive with the top teams, I want a coach that can be

I'm tired of the chicken little excuses. Put a BIG title team on the floor. It's way past time this happened. We are turning into the Iowa State football fans of basketball.

Latest posts