Howe: Big Ten Hoops Power Rankings 1-14

Patrick being sick may have contributed.
Anyone who doesn't think Patrick didnt influence that season must not be a parent. No way I could do my job to my best abilities if my kid was home with cancer. I think it also affected recruiting during that time. Which would make a lot of sense looking at how bad those classes were.

Also the 2015 year may have been affected in a round about way. The players on that team knew they collapsed 2 years earlier after reaching the top 10. That had to be a lot of pressure to deal with trying for it to not happen again. We all know how good those players were with dealing with pressure. Has they not collapsed 2 years earlier, would they have that year? Who knows. All I do know is that pressure and doubt in their heads couldn't have helped.

And then I elaborated on our conversation. I agree it shouldn't be hard.
You tried to turn it back to Fran. My comment was never meant to include, compare or discuss Fran. Nowhere in my comment about Davis, was Fran's name mentioned. Was any part of Fran's basketball teams mentioned. We agree. You are making this hard.

This is my main problem with Fran. The good 'spurts" are ending in 2nd round blow out losses. That's not good enough for me.
It's our inability to win close games, even in tournament years, that keeps landing us as a 7-10 seed and tees us up for a superior one or two seed to blow us out of the gym.

If Fran does better in close games, we will fiinish higher in the conference and improve our seeding and avoid those teams for at least one more round. Getting to Sunday, or at least Saturday, in the conference tournament wouldn't hurt either. I would bet that we are the only power conference school in the country to lose an opening round game to a double digit seed four years in a row.

Last edited:
One of those losses was to the national champion who won their sweet 16 game by more points against Miami and beat their final 4 foe (Oklahoma) by 44 points. 44! The other blowout loss was to a team who ended up losing to the National Champion in the E8.

We've just run up against some really good second round teams, our seed hasn't been good enough or bad enough to prevent it.
Get off the 8-9 line or the 7-10 line and you won't see those teams in the second round. That was a problem with Davis in the nineties as well.

Not in that 4th season, I didn't. I was mostly referring to the obvious play makers from the Raveling era.
That '89-90 season was crazy. We were eighth in the country in December and had December wins over North Carolina, UC Santa Barbara, and at Iowa State. We competed against eventual national champion UNLV until Thompson turned his ankle. He, of course, would soon be gone and the rest of the season was a death spiral culminating in 40 point blowout losses to Indiana, Illinois and Michigan.

If we are 20 points worse than the eventual NC, I'm not happy with that result. Any year. Just like I'm not happy when we are 30 points worse than Michigan St. I'm not concerned with our seed. If we can't at least be competitive with the top teams, I want a coach that can be

So based on what you just said...you wouldn't have been happy being Oklahoma that year. Oklahoma finished 29-8 and made the Final Four.

Gotcha....

giphy.gif

Douche much?

You're real close to be eliminated from this board. Stop with the name calling.

And before you start with the elementary school "but you called me asinine" yesterday. I did not call you asinine. I said your take that Fran hasn't accomplished anything at Iowa was asinine. And it is.

And here I opened and posted in this topic because I thought it was going to be about power rating the B1G schools. I should have known certain parties would hijack it and make it about their displeasure with McCaffery, as happens way too often.

And here I opened and posted in this topic because I thought it was going to be about power rating the B1G schools. I should have known certain parties would hijack it and make it about their displeasure with McCaffery, as happens way too often.

Of course. And Lightning is one of the main culprits.

That will change.

You tried to turn it back to Fran. My comment was never meant to include, compare or discuss Fran. Nowhere in my comment about Davis, was Fran's name mentioned. Was any part of Fran's basketball teams mentioned. We agree. You are making this hard.

That's because your point about Davis helped prove my point about Fran. Which was what the original conversation was about before you changed it to Davis.

Yeah that season with Moses as our featured guy were some brutal hoops. Brutal.
In addition to losing Thompson and Brian Garner to academics Acie Earl was suspended by Davis for six games and came close to being dismissed from the team. Matt Bullard and Michael Ingram were fighting knee problems. Rodell Davis was just coming back from two and a half years of knee problems.

Les Jepsen, of all people, was out main go to guy that year. And if you had seen him his freshman and sophomore years you wouldn't have believed it. He improved over his career as much as any Hawkeye I've ever seen, even got an NBA cup of coffee.

If we are 20 points worse than the eventual NC, I'm not happy with that result. Any year. Just like I'm not happy when we are 30 points worse than Michigan St. I'm not concerned with our seed. If we can't at least be competitive with the top teams, I want a coach that can be

Michigan lost to Villanova in the Title game last year by 17 (79-62). That's 2 less points than Iowa lost to Nova (19) in the game referenced. Do you feel the same with Michigan's season last year? :)

In addition to losing Thompson and Brian Garner to academics Acie Earl was suspended by Davis for six games and came close to being dismissed from the team. Matt Bullard and Michael Ingram were fighting knee problems. Rodell Davis was just coming back from two and a half years of knee problems.

Les Jepsen, of all people, was out main go to guy that year. And if you had seen him his freshman and sophomore years you wouldn't have believed it. He improved over his career as much as any Hawkeye I've ever seen, even got an NBA cup of coffee.

Yes. Jepsen really made himself into a decent player and was a bright spot on that team. He went from averaging 4 and 5 the year before to 15 and 10 in '89/90.

James Moses really struggled that year, his sophomore season. I remember him laying brick after brick but that didn't keep him from shooting.
Out of curiousity I checked the stats. Moses took 336 shots that year. Jepsen took 249. Almost 100 more shots. James averaged 35% from the floor. 24% from 3 pt range. Think about for a moment. For his career James shot 29% from three and 39% overall.

His shooting never got much better but to his credit he was named team MVP in '91, I believe.

Since this is a now a post on Fran, he was one NIT win away from joining Lute and Tom as the only coaches with 5 straight 20 win seasons.

Also, took May and Gatens team to an NIT title game against a LOADED Baylor team.

There you go. You labeled exactly what he accomplished and they have the words TITLES in them. If Fran had the words TITLES and BIG CONFERENCE associated with his name, I'd have a different opinion. But he doesn't.

Let's look at our Big 10 competition for coaches that they hoped would "get them to the next level".

Illinois - It could easily be argued that Illinois was waning during the Bruce Weber years and has died since. Hard to believe that a team that was so strong under Lou Henson and Bill Self.
Maryland - While the Turgeon coached Terps are solid, they likely will never be the national powers they were under Lefty Driesell or Gary Williams.
Minnesota - They were a perrenial powerhouse under Jim Dutcher but since then have struggled mainly due to off-court issues. Who knows if Richard Pitio is the guy? Hopefully they won't have the off-court issues that forced them to fire Clem Haskins, Dan Monson and Tubby Smith.
Indiana - Since Bob Knight was booted, they have dwindled. Tom Crean could recruit but had one down year and was fired. Who knows how Archie Miller will do there; he's in his second year now.
Ohio State - They have always had a good team, sometimes a great team. Thad Matta had a great run for them. Who knows how Chris Holtmann will do there; he's in his second year now.
Penn State - No coach at Penn State has left with a winning record since Bruce Parkhill left in 1995. Pat Chambers is likely on the hot seat, but who knows what kind of coach Penn State would get?
Rutgers - Continues to search for a coach that can win consistently.

Latest posts