How Long does a coach get Part II

longtimer

I posted the first question but I thought it deserved another thread. I'm thinking the answer might be about 10 tonight! the first half was as bad a display of basketball as I have seen in a long time. We dont have great talent but no team can be this bad. Indiana really isn't any good either!
Just had to vent. I doubt they fire Fran tonight although I really could see him losing it as frustration sets in and tossing a chair at someone. After his chair busting episode of a couple years ago that could do it

Look at the positives, it’s the deepest team he’s ever had..:D

Quantity over quality..

Answer remains the same regarding Fran tho. No chance he gets fired this year, even if this team goes 0-fer in the conference. At least, I think. Just thinking of the powers that be at the UofI.

I really wanted (want) things to work out for Fran. Loved his pressers, loved that he brought back Zone Defense and pressing. But, so poorly coached and his teams often collapse (even his best ones at Iowa). His recruiting is so uneven at point guard and center.

I will give him credit for digging Iowa out of hole from Alford/Lick, but he is digging a new hole now.

Not looking good.

You guys are nuts if you think Fran is going anywhere. Below is where Iowa has placed in conference last couple years. It could be a lot worse. 2 fresh, 3 soph started tonight. What do you expect when our starters are this young? If Iowa doesnt make the tourney next year or in 2019, i'd agree his seat will be hot. Fran has a young team. They will improve this year.

2011-12 8-10 7th
2012-13 9-9 6th
2013-14 9-9 6th
2014-15 12-6 5th
2015-16 12-6 T3
2016-17 12-6 T5

So poor fundamentally right now that is very disheartening and goes back to coaching. Poor handles, poor entry passes, not going and getting the ball when it's passed to you, allowing back door cuts all the time. No matter the talent we could at least still have decent fundamentals if coached properly

You guys are nuts if you think Fran is going anywhere. Below is where Iowa has placed in conference last couple years. It could be a lot worse. 2 fresh, 3 soph started tonight. What do you expect when our starters are this young? If Iowa doesnt make the tourney next year or in 2019, i'd agree his seat will be hot. Fran has a young team. They will improve this year.

2011-12 8-10 7th
2012-13 9-9 6th
2013-14 9-9 6th
2014-15 12-6 5th
2015-16 12-6 T3
2016-17 12-6 T5

Those are solid numbers.....but also include his best teams to date...and his best teams have not gone far in the Big Dance. And, this team, looks so far removed from those numbers. How long does the young team excuse hold water?

I'm also not saying fire him, but I think he is heading that way. This team is nowhere close to a .500 level Big Ten team...a team that Fran said was one of his deepest. Maybe Fran actually meant we were in deep shit with this team.

How long does young team excuse hold water?

At least a season, wouldn't you think? His teams haven't gone far, but have improved every year. Exception is last year with 1 senior. Iowa conference record could be a lot worse & Iowa could have this record with multiple seniors on the roster. I get angry as much as anyone during these games but there's a lot to look forward to. Go Hawks!

2011-12 8-10 7th
2012-13 9-9 6th
2013-14 9-9 6th
2014-15 12-6 5th
2015-16 12-6 T3
2016-17 12-6 T5

Yeah we should be awesome with no PG again next year, and a bunch of guys who don't know how to play defense. Add to that we're overall less athletic at pretty much every position than our opponents, and it looks to be another stellar year. What did I expect?? I expected to not lose 5 games to some of the worst teams in all of college basketball 9 games into the season. Fran's had plenty of time. The time for excuses is over.

How long does young team excuse hold water?

At least a season, wouldn't you think? His teams haven't gone far, but have improved every year. Exception is last year with 1 senior. Iowa conference record could be a lot worse & Iowa could have this record with multiple seniors on the roster. I get angry as much as anyone during these games but there's a lot to look forward to. Go Hawks!

I wouldn't call this team overly experienced but other than Jok, who did they really lose from last year? There are a couple newcomers, true, but this team isn't any younger than a year ago. It's hard not to be disappointed in the returnees to this point.

And the "improved every year" thing was true for a while but it's starting to ring a little hollow for me now because 1) things have plateaued the last few years and 2) that's not too hard to accomplish when you're taking over for Lick..

Yeah we should be awesome with no PG again next year, and a bunch of guys who don't know how to play defense. Add to that we're overall less athletic at pretty much every position than our opponents, and it looks to be another stellar year. What did I expect?? I expected to not lose 5 games to some of the worst teams in all of college basketball 9 games into the season. Fran's had plenty of time. The time for excuses is over.

You're saying he should be fired for not having anything to look forward to next year? & He's had plenty of time? it's only December & Iowa made the NIT last year with a very young team. Again, 2 fresh & 3 soph started tonight on the road during conf play.

I wouldn't call this team overly experienced but other than Jok, who did they really lose from last year? There are a couple newcomers, true, but this team isn't any younger than a year ago. It's hard not to be disappointed in the returnees to this point.

And the "improved every year" thing was true for a while but it's starting to ring a little hollow for me now because 1) things have plateaued the last few years and 2) that's not too hard to accomplish when you're taking over for Lick..

Disappointed? Yes. I am pissed off and angry too but Fran has not had plenty of time with this team. Couple of newcomers? Last year these 2 guys were in HS and they started tonight in a BIG10 road game. Indiana had a full house and was loud. Your #2 above is not relevant. I don't care what the previous coach did. I care about conference and post season. Give this team longer then 1 month, especially how young they are.

You're saying he should be fired for not having anything to look forward to next year? & He's had plenty of time? it's only December & Iowa made the NIT last year with a very young team. Again, 2 fresh & 3 soph started tonight on the road during conf play.

Absolutely. It's year 8, meaning he's had 7 years to build and make this team a contender. During those 8 yrs he's shown the same deficiencies. The most glaring being not being able to land a B1G caliber PG, which given Fran was a good PG is puzzling and unacceptable. And no, Gesell was not B1G quality. We have played D2 schools with much better backcourts than ours. The fact that Ellingson is playing PG at all should place Fran's balls pretty close to the bandsaw. All these "young" guys played a TON last year. They are nearly 40 games into their college career. Who can you honestly say has improved?

Latest posts