How Long does a coach get Part II

If Iowa was Alabama right now, we'd be in the CFP.

No one would have a problem with Fran if he were winning this year because Iowa has made the post season tourney’s the last couple of years. The discussion is about how long Fran will be the head coach before he’s fired. Fran won’t be let go because of 1 bad (2017-18) season, there’s plenty to look forward to in the future. There has to be multi-years of losing and little hope for the future. That’s not the case right now with Hawkeye basketball. Go Hawks!

That's great and all, but then you gotta ask yourself why only 3 of those teams could even get into the NCAA tournament? Last years team for instance was 12-6 in B1G play and can't make the NCAA's? That is spitting the bit in the non conference then. Even worse is taking a team that you return 90% of the next year and looking like a JV squad.

You're being nice with JV reference (unless you're talking about HS JV). This team also looked horrible last year until we play ISU. There's plenty of talent on the roster, they're not playing like it yet. The next 2 years look bright. Go Hawks!

Late to this thread and didn’t read the previous posts. But it’s obvious he had until Conner graduates now. Not sure what we’re even talking about here.

Late to this thread and didn’t read the previous posts. But it’s obvious he had until Conner graduates now. Not sure what we’re even talking about here.

Just curious what makes that obvious? You could extend that out and say he has six years until Patrick graduates. I don't buy it and having two talented sons should have nothing to do with whether we retain a coach or not. If this goes south maybe Connor will decide to concentrate full time on baseball which he could just as easily do at another school although Iowa seems like a good program with Heller at the helm if his dad sticks it out here.

I don't see Fran lasting all the way through Patrick's college years and this may seem a good time to get out of dodge even though I don't see that happening unless forced out. Fran would probably do well finishing his career at another mid-major if he went that route but hard to say how this will play out.

I couldn’t disagree anymore with your entire statement. The player grade does matter when you are talking about firing the head coach of a university. What % of teams win national titles starting fresh & soph? Sound like it’s a pretty common if you’re making a point to bring it up.
Where in my statement did I mention firing Fran? I’m stating you can’t rely on youth as an excuse for losing when the teams that are beating you are also young . The longer you stick around college basketball the less talented you are if you’re goal is to make it to the NBA

Where in my statement did I mention firing Fran? I’m stating you can’t rely on youth as an excuse for losing when the teams that are beating you are also young . The longer you stick around college basketball the less talented you are if you’re goal is to make it to the NBA

Penn State is young too and beat us. But the teams are pretty even. When two bad teams play, someone has to win. Your last sentence makes it sound like you think every player that doesn't leave early for the NBA sucks.

Penn State is young too and beat us. But the teams are pretty even. When two bad teams play, someone has to win. Your last sentence makes it sound like you think every player that doesn't leave early for the NBA sucks.
That’s not my opinion that’s an NBA GM’s opinion . I don’t see a lot of upper classmen going thru the first round of the draft. It’s mostly one and dones or euro players. Shouldn’t Fran have that as one of his goals to prepare his kids for the next level? Good luck with that considering this dogshit roster and to the fans who want to bury their heads in the sand and try to come up with lame excuses to try and make themselves feel better about a team who is one of the worst clubs in the entire country

That’s not my opinion that’s an NBA GM’s opinion . I don’t see a lot of upper classmen going thru the first round of the draft. It’s mostly one and dones or euro players. Shouldn’t Fran have that as one of his goals to prepare his kids for the next level? Good luck with that considering this dogshit roster and to the fans who want to bury their heads in the sand and try to come up with lame excuses to try and make themselves feel better about a team who is one of the worst clubs in the entire country

There are 2 schools in the country that have really good rosters full of underclassmen. Duke and Kentucky. There are a handful of other schools who have a couple really good young players. We have 4 guys that are juniors and seniors, and only one will be missed at all when they're gone.

Being young is a really good excuse for why we aren't good this year. It's a terrible excuse for Fran tho because he is the reason we have such a young roster.

Watching basketball tonight has helped cool me off a bit. Basketball is a sport where your season can change on a dime. Fran has done that 3 straight years now. Hopefully he can do it a 4th.

Minnesota went from one of the worst D1 teams in the nation to a top 25 team in one year. Nebraska just kicked their ass. It just goes to show how much things can change in one season, or one game.

There are 2 schools in the country that have really good rosters full of underclassmen. Duke and Kentucky. There are a handful of other schools who have a couple really good young players. We have 4 guys that are juniors and seniors, and only one will be missed at all when they're gone.

Being young is a really good excuse for why we aren't good this year. It's a terrible excuse for Fran tho because he is the reason we have such a young roster.
The youth excuse is not a good excuse it’s a terrible excuse . We aren’t bad because we are young . We are bad because our roster is loaded with MAC level talent. It has nothing to do with youth.

The youth excuse is not a good excuse it’s a terrible excuse . We aren’t bad because we are young . We are bad because our roster is loaded with MAC level talent. It has nothing to do with youth.

MAC talent that went 12-6 last year in the conference. Iowa isn't playing together as a team this year. Fran has the talent, they need to play together. Your NBA theory doesn't apply to Iowa, since there aren't any players that are leaving for the NBA. May have couple players ready when they graduate, but they will need more experience.

Last edited:

How can you possibly say we aren't bad because we are young, when we are so young? Now if you want to say this roster will never be really good, I could buy that. But this team could easily improve to be a 5 seed or so in two years, and that's without adding players.

. . . . Minnesota went from one of the worst D1 teams in the nation to a top 25 team in one year. Nebraska just kicked their ass. It just goes to show how much things can change in one season, or one game.

I had to look up the game when you posted this comment. Not sure if my phone messed up or if its espn but the score is shown as nebby 39-68 minny. Nebby winning. ill try to attach the screen capture.

Attachments

• minny.pdf
    412.5 KB · Views: 3
I had to look up the game when you posted this comment. Not sure if my phone messed up or if its espn but the score is shown as nebby 39-68 minny. Nebby winning. ill try to attach the screen capture.

Weird. Nebraska won by 10 or so. Was up 17 late. They made everything they threw up. It was a game where the fans of the losing team wonder what was wrong, even tho it was obvious it was just Nebraska's night.

Latest posts