How Long does a coach get Part II

IMO Iowa has talent, they just don't have a PG who can get their talent to do what they do best....

Imagine a PG who can get dribble penetration and kick out to Bohannon or Moss for an open 3.
Imagine a PG who can penetrate and then dish monsterous alley-oop dunks to cook.
Imagine a PG who can dribble the ball with 10 seconds before the half and didn't turn it over.
Imagine a PG who can take a defender off the dribble to the basket for a layup.
Imagine a PG who can accurately feed the ball into the post.

There's one common theme here and its KILLING the hawks.

I would also add a true center into this equation (6-10 to 7 foot type, 240 pounds+) who can really eat space and guard the yard. Iowa has far to many tweeners who would be great to come off the bench, but not as starters at the 3,4, and 5 positions. I also think youth can only be used as an excuse so far. You can win with older and younger players. Just need the talent at every position, xs and os, and a willingness to put it all together night in and night out.

You guys are nuts if you think Fran is going anywhere. Below is where Iowa has placed in conference last couple years. It could be a lot worse. 2 fresh, 3 soph started tonight. What do you expect when our starters are this young? If Iowa doesnt make the tourney next year or in 2019, i'd agree his seat will be hot. Fran has a young team. They will improve this year.

2011-12 8-10 7th
2012-13 9-9 6th
2013-14 9-9 6th
2014-15 12-6 5th
2015-16 12-6 T3
2016-17 12-6 T5

That's great and all, but then you gotta ask yourself why only 3 of those teams could even get into the NCAA tournament? Last years team for instance was 12-6 in B1G play and can't make the NCAA's? That is spitting the bit in the non conference then. Even worse is taking a team that you return 90% of the next year and looking like a JV squad.

I would also add a true center into this equation (6-10 to 7 foot type, 240 pounds+) who can really eat space and guard the yard. Iowa has far to many tweeners who would be great to come off the bench, but not as starters at the 3,4, and 5 positions. I also think youth can only be used as an excuse so far. You can win with older and younger players. Just need the talent at every position, xs and os, and a willingness to put it all together night in and night out.

You don't even need anything more than a 6-10 guy these days. Look at what a 6'8 Morgan and 6'10 Davis did against us last night. Look at what a 6'8 Stevens, and 6'9 Watkins from Penn St. did to us.

The name of the game is athletic bigs, we have one of those is all. You don't need a 6'11 slug, you need your 6'9 athlete like Cook to be able to defend those guys and play your C position. If Cook wasn't sooooooo bad at D, a 6'9 255 lbs Cook should be able to guard a 6'10 254 lbs Watkins.

I REALLY hate to say this, but I watched Iowa State in the second half last night. They have drastically improved from the last time I've seen them. Their coach is always coaching. He is getting guys where they need to be, he's coaching them in timeouts, he actually seems to know what he's doing.

IMO Iowa has talent, they just don't have a PG who can get their talent to do what they do best....

Imagine a PG who can get dribble penetration and kick out to Bohannon or Moss for an open 3.
Imagine a PG who can penetrate and then dish monsterous alley-oop dunks to cook.
Imagine a PG who can dribble the ball with 10 seconds before the half and didn't turn it over.
Imagine a PG who can take a defender off the dribble to the basket for a layup.
Imagine a PG who can accurately feed the ball into the post.

There's one common theme here and its KILLING the hawks.

Careful, you are going to provoke Dean.

I REALLY hate to say this, but I watched Iowa State in the second half last night. They have drastically improved from the last time I've seen them. Their coach is always coaching. He is getting guys where they need to be, he's coaching them in timeouts, he actually seems to know what he's doing.

Yeah but Fran yells a lot

Reactions: DJL
Fundamentals are lacking on this team - defensive positioning, ball control, offensive movement. MAYBE this can be traced to the proliferation of AAU basketball - players playing more games with less focus on teaching basic fundamentals. MAYBE coach Fran is used to his players having a base knowledge of fundamentals when they arrive on campus and he typically builds on those. MAYBE this year's young team never learned the basics and now struggle to comprehend the IA staff's "level 2" concepts since they never learned level 1.

Of course other teams players were heavy into AAU as well, so it's up to the coaching staffs to recognize their team's knowledge and simplify where necessary, and none of us on this board go to practices, so maybe the IA staff is already doing this and the players just can't put it into practice.

You don't even need anything more than a 6-10 guy these days. Look at what a 6'8 Morgan and 6'10 Davis did against us last night. Look at what a 6'8 Stevens, and 6'9 Watkins from Penn St. did to us.

The name of the game is athletic bigs, we have one of those is all. You don't need a 6'11 slug, you need your 6'9 athlete like Cook to be able to defend those guys and play your C position. If Cook wasn't sooooooo bad at D, a 6'9 255 lbs Cook should be able to guard a 6'10 254 lbs Watkins.

Ah, I remember Adam Woodbury. I also remember how so many on here said he was going to be a solid NBA player some day and show us all. He's currently playing for Fort Wayne in the NBA G league averaging 1.6 pts in 6.5 minutes a game.

You are hilarious. You insult those negative on KF and you insult those positive on FM.

I have a new photo for you to use:
View attachment 2973

Link to me insulting anyone that is positive about Fran? I have my own view of Fran and his job and I haven’t insulted anyone who had a different opinion on Fran.

Plus you are the KF apologist, not me.

Link to me insulting anyone that is positive about Fran? I have my own view of Fran and his job and I haven’t insulted anyone who had a different opinion on Fran.

Plus you are the KF apologist, not me.

Just today. Unless you deleted it or don't recognize what you do.

nar·cis·sis·tic
ˌnärsəˈsistik/
adjective
  1. having an excessive interest in oneself,

Just today. Unless you deleted it or don't recognize what you do.

nar·cis·sis·tic
ˌnärsəˈsistik/
adjective
  1. having an excessive interest in oneself,

Link the quote. Disagring with someone is not insulting.

Calling me an idiot like you did just today or yesterday (I forget as your personal attacks on me and others is too frequent to recall all of them).

That's great and all, but then you gotta ask yourself why only 3 of those teams could even get into the NCAA tournament? Last years team for instance was 12-6 in B1G play and can't make the NCAA's? That is spitting the bit in the non conference then. Even worse is taking a team that you return 90% of the next year and looking like a JV squad.

They went 10-8 last year. They would have gotten in at 11-7, which we would have been if we get that timeout against Minnesota.

Fran on hot seat next year, has one big year to save his a$$ and gets big extension..

Sound familiar?

With Barta's track record of handing out extensions, I could totally see that happening.

Yep. But I am seeing more and more posts declaring Barta needs to go before we move on new coaches. So Christmas has arrived early for me.

We lost on our home court to a Penn St team that started one senior. Teams have won national titles starting freshman and sophomores . What grade you are in is irreverent in college basketball

I couldn’t disagree anymore with your entire statement. The player grade does matter when you are talking about firing the head coach of a university. What % of teams win national titles starting fresh & soph? Sound like it’s a pretty common if you’re making a point to bring it up.

Year 8 and one decent team. SMH. Iowa is officially in a 70's level era of sports performance. When the next Bump Elliot comes in here and we start winning again, so many of you patient realists are going to look back at what we put up with for 15 years with disbelief.

One decent team is an opinion. Fran won’t be fired due to an opinion. Fact is that Iowa has finished in the top half of the Big10 conference & made it to post season play for the past several years. Luckily, I wasn’t alive in the 70’s to recall this horrific era of hawkeye sports. Go Hawks!

Latest posts