How long do you give a coach??

I think if we don't even make the NIT this year Fran would be shown the door. That is just unacceptable for how much we returned. I wonder if Barta has put any feelers out there for replacements. I don't see us getting Gregg Marshall but I think we could land Tom Crean or LeVelle Moton and both would be major upgrades.

Last edited:
I think you should make the NCAA tournament 3 out of every 4 years, or 5 out of 8 years. So basically if you don't necessarily make it one of those 3 years in a 4 year period, that isn't the end of the world. Fran has been behind schedule the whole time he was here. It took him to year 4 to make the NCAA (at least 1 year longer than he should have). Now he is in rebuild mode again? I mean seriously enough is enough, we aren't the Lickliter Hawks any longer. If we miss the NCAA again this year that means 3 trips in 8 years, that isn't acceptable on any level at all, those are freaking AlFraud type results.

I think you should make the NCAA tournament 3 out of every 4 years, or 5 out of 8 years. So basically if you don't necessarily make it one of those 3 years in a 4 year period, that isn't the end of the world. Fran has been behind schedule the whole time he was here. It took him to year 4 to make the NCAA (at least 1 year longer than he should have). Now he is in rebuild mode again? I mean seriously enough is enough, we aren't the Lickliter Hawks any longer. If we miss the NCAA again this year that means 3 trips in 8 years, that isn't acceptable on any level at all, those are freaking AlFraud type results.

I'm willing to cut Fran some slack for the first couple years given what he inherited from Lick, but it's his program now, so no more excuses. Gotta be making the NCAA tournament most of the time. Sure, I expect a bit of a rebuilding year here and there, but a good coach should be able to meet the criteria you just laid out imo.

Just get there more often than not and get past the second round every once in a while.. Shouldn't be too much to ask for.

I'm willing to cut Fran some slack for the first couple years given what he inherited from Lick, but it's his program now, so no more excuses. Gotta be making the NCAA tournament most of the time. Sure, I expect a bit of a rebuilding year here and there, but a good coach should be able to meet the criteria you just laid out imo.

Just get there more often than not and get past the second round every once in a while.. Shouldn't be too much to ask for.

I agree. I think the year Fran first made the tourney is when it officially became "his team". I know some people disagree with that, but to me, it's not relevant anymore how long it took him to build the program since it's already built now. All that matters now is what the program looks like now that it's built.

Missing this year will mean he's made it 3 out of the last 5 with no good runs. To me, that is the bare minimum he should be allowed without an immediate shit canning. Continue on the bare minimum for much longer and it's time to move on. I do wonder tho how many programs would fire their coach for staying at that "bare minimum" guideline I just laid out? Maybe 20?

Yes this will play out to be a tough year. Frans recruiting shortcomings will keep us from maybe making the NIT, and a 500 season will be difficult. The program under Fran though is in good shape despite his lack of success. When he came in the program was ridiculously bad people, less you forget we were playing greyshirts. I believe we have the right coach and look forward to seeing what can happen in years to come. We all see we have better talent and they are not producing, a lack of a pt guard is an issue, and yes this all lands on Frans responsiblity. I still think he can correct our shortcomings in the future, and with a passion to win that may increase with his kids playing...thats where I am laying my hope today.

Fran/Iowa basketball is in a position of his own making. What we are seeing is EXACTLY what I predicted a few years ago, when Conner committed to Iowa.
I said: Conner is going to play PG at Iowa and strangle any hopes of recruiting a good PG to the program for 5 years, at least. A lot of posters on this board told me I was crazy because the recruiting services listed Conner as a small forward and they know what they are talking about, blah, blah, blah.
I said: If Conner plays PG lights out, it will all be ok. If he doesn't, it will end up putting a ton of criticism/pressure on him and spell the end of Fran's tenure as head coach at Iowa.
As it turns out, we can't even get a decent out of state combo guard to come here, much less a PG. That's due to Conner and his dad being HC. And. as it turns out, Fran's tenure is looking grim and in jeopardy of coming to an end, due to our horrific guard play and Conner hasn't even played in a meaningful game yet. What's going to happen when it becomes obvious that Conner isn't a BIG level difference maker? And we still have a poor defensive backcourt that can't create their own shots, for the next 2 or 3 years?

I'm all for a change at the end of the year if this continues as is. But, I don't think that it's going to continue. Baer is back and has a couple games under his belt to knock some rust off. I believe he will be getting back to his old self. Once Conner gets back and can spell JBo that will be an upgrade over Brady and allow him to get back to backing up the 2 where he belongs and is more comfortable. I believe that this team will start to hit some shots and gain confidence and will put together a good run. Fran has worked very hard on the recruiting trail and has most of the pieces to the puzzle. I think he'll figure it out yet this year and hopefully it starts tomorrow

Who would be on your wish list for a replacement? I'm still thinking Crean or Moton since I don't think Marshall is a realistic possibility.

Tom Crean? No thanks
huh.gif

Tom Crean? No thanks

Crean wanted the Iowa job at one time and glad it didn't happen. Fran doesn't seem the answer long term but it seems premature talking about making a change unless we continue to spiral downward past this season. Should Barta leave the scene due to his health situation a new AD would have some serious evaluation to do on all fronts and a culture to work through that seems happy with the status quo in terms of the big donors.

I think some results are worth firing and then going out and finding a replacement. Some results are worth keeping your eye open for a guaranteed upgrade replacement. If this season plays out like it looks like it's going to, those results fall into the latter category.

All that said, last year, they were just as bad in the non conference and looked lost without Uthoff. They ended up one horrible call from the NCAA tournament. Uthoff's senior year, they looked terrible in the non conference and they looked lost without White. Then they got up to number 3 in the country. White's senior year, they looked terrible in the non conference and looked lost without Marble. Then they finished 12-6 in conference. Next year will be the first year in the last 4 that they don't lose their best player. Hopefully they will start strong and finish stronger.

Crean got lucky with Dwade at Marquette. Got almost every recruit he wanted at Indiana. I doubt he'd get that lucky or recruit that well at Iowa. But I'd give him 4 seasons to try, if I had to.

I agree. Iowa needs a coach who is either a really good recruiter or one who is really good at spotting low ranked talent. I'm not sure if Crean falls into either of those categories or not.

Crean got lucky with Dwade at Marquette. Got almost every recruit he wanted at Indiana. I doubt he'd get that lucky or recruit that well at Iowa. But I'd give him 4 seasons to try, if I had to.

I think Crean can coach but still not the guy I want running my program. I don't like his sideline demeanor nor the way he runs kids off. I would like to do better than what we get from Fran but not with a guy like Crean as the face of the program. Iowa can find a guy who fits better when the time comes.

Who would be on your wish list for a replacement? I'm still thinking Crean or Moton since I don't think Marshall is a realistic possibility.

Do you think a coach like Mick Cronin at Cincinnati would want to coach in a bigger conference? Just curious.

Latest posts