How long do you give a coach??

Do you think a coach like Mick Cronin at Cincinnati would want to coach in a bigger conference? Just curious.

It's way past time to stop thinking of "mediocre" and recruiting "good" boys. It's time to hire someone who can bring MEN to Iowa City...let's go after someone who can recruit and coach for championships...Pitino is available.

Do you think a coach like Mick Cronin at Cincinnati would want to coach in a bigger conference? Just curious.

I don't think him or Marshall would come to Iowa. They would need a big job to open up for them to move. I think our best option is to get an up and comer like Moton who could recruit or get a proven coach like Crean who would recruit much better here than Fran does.

I don't think him or Marshall would come to Iowa. They would need a big job to open up for them to move. I think our best option is to get an up and comer like Moton who could recruit or get a proven coach like Crean who would recruit much better here than Fran does.

That's probably true .. I thought it might be a call worth making just in case coaching in the Big 10 would lure someone like that.

Iowa is in a much better position to get a good coach now then several years ago - we can attract some good names. That said, I think Fran's getting at least this and next year to figure it out and I think he will. This year looks like a lost season tho.

As we've seen through the coaching changes throughout the football season, it's all about the money. We don't need an up-and-comer as we've gone through that misery of that before starting with a clown who came from Southeast Missouri State. What we need is a coach who has a background of recruiting men, focusing upon winning, doesn't settle for mediocrity, and has an attitude that can be absorbed and translated by those around him...someone who has come from a big league program and knows what it means to win in the trenches...We've had enough "good-guys" which have brought us to the place we are now. It's time that we can be assured that year in and year out that we'll be in the top 25. It's time that we can be proud of wearing the black and gold into neutral sports bars and not lose to third tier programs. Let's spend some money and get a Pearl, a Pitino, a Calipari, or even an Izzo.

Iowa is in a much better position to get a good coach now then several years ago - we can attract some good names. That said, I think Fran's getting at least this and next year to figure it out and I think he will. This year looks like a lost season tho.
Yep, you're right. The season ended with a Penn State loss. Last year should have been his "...figure it out..." year. This year should be the appeal to the AD to do the right thing year.

As we've seen through the coaching changes throughout the football season, it's all about the money. We don't need an up-and-comer as we've gone through that misery of that before starting with a clown who came from Southeast Missouri State. What we need is a coach who has a background of recruiting men, focusing upon winning, doesn't settle for mediocrity, and has an attitude that can be absorbed and translated by those around him...someone who has come from a big league program and knows what it means to win in the trenches...We've had enough "good-guys" which have brought us to the place we are now. It's time that we can be assured that year in and year out that we'll be in the top 25. It's time that we can be proud of wearing the black and gold into neutral sports bars and not lose to third tier programs. Let's spend some money and get a Pearl, a Pitino, a Calipari, or even an Izzo.

We also need an AD with similar attributes, IMO..

...is there anyone out there that can remember the days when Lute would enter a foreign floor and the Iowa fans, stuck way up in the rafters, would chant, "...Lute, Lute, Lute.."? is there anyone out there that can remember when the likes of Gamble, Lester, Boyle, and the "Twin Towers", came to town that you knew that there was going to be tussle and a win? is there anyone out there that can remember when Iowa Basketball meant that all opposing teams were going to be dealt with and there wouldn't be puddles under our feet? I miss those days, I miss the knowledge that every year was a guaranteed Big Dance year, I miss the Saturday afternoon matchups on national tv knowing that we have the best of the best. Instead, we have a pitiful hope that perhaps we can pull off a close one with Wartburg. If Gonzaga can have a national program, If Wichita State can be a national threat, if Bradley can field a fearful five, then what's happened to US? Is complacency and being happy with finishing somewhere at the top end of the lower portion of the BIG where we are now? Is praying that a middle of the pack record with 20 wins made from NAIA schools enough?

if he's had ample time and got all "his guys" and starts 4-4 against zero competition then he should be on a metal seat with a butane torch under it.

There's a 0.0% chance Fran gets let go during the season or in the off-season of this year. Just don't see that happening

There's a 0.0% chance Fran gets let go during the season or in the off-season of this year. Just don't see that happening
Can't disagree with that. If we miss the NCAAs next season, I can't imagine he'll be at Iowa anymore. With Barta, who knows...

Can't disagree with that. If we miss the NCAAs next season, I can't imagine he'll be at Iowa anymore. With Barta, who knows...

Yeah, I don't know what relationship is with Fran and Barta. If it's anything like KF and Barta, then it would take several years of no NCAA's in order for Fran to be fired.

Neither do I because our AD is a big pussy, that's only interested in fleecing the fans, rather than demand greatness from this coaches.
He's real tough with female coaches, though. He'll send them packing in a NY minute.

Neither do I because our AD is a big pussy, that's only interested in fleecing the fans, rather than demand greatness from this coaches.
He's real tough with female coaches, though. He'll send them packing in a NY minute.
And forget to document it...

Latest posts