How long before some faction in Iowa City says dont play Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Barbasol is good stuff, the right razor is key in getting that truly close shave.

Very true, but I have found that even after I've used my Fusion 3 or 4 times (I shave maybe twice a week), it's still a very close shave.

I wonder what Gillette is coming out with on June 6th that could top the Fusion.

Very true, but I have found that even after I've used my Fusion 3 or 4 times (I shave maybe twice a week), it's still a very close shave.

I wonder what Gillette is coming out with on June 6th that could top the Fusion.

I don't know, but it will have to be pretty darn good for me to put down my Fusion. Best razor ever!

Some of the flannel shirt crowd need a close shave.
6468.jpg

Technically "Suns" is a proper name so it wouldn't change during translation.

False. Proper nouns change all the time. Also, to change it to "Los Suns" is to change the proper noun, so they might as well have changed it to "Los Soles." As is they tried to provide solidarity with Mexicans, but as my wife (a Mexican citizen) says, "They blew it."

Put me down as someone that will not be in that faction. If I do not like a law in Arizona then I can make the choice to not live there. If there is a faction in Iowa City that does not like the Arizona laws then they can all make the trip down there and do their little protest thing and then root for the Hawks to kick the crap out of Stoops team.

Racial profiling...Who is illegal? Kind of like who is attacking the US and blowing up planes--young middle east men and women or the elderly woman from Sioux City? Who would you rather focus on at airports?

As for illegals in the southwest, who do you focus on --the white or black people or the hispanics? Call it racial profiling or whatever semantics you want but it is hispanic folks that are coming across the border is it not?

Like in airports, they can focus on the elderly lady from Sioux City but the chances of her having a bomb is slim to none. However, the chances of the young male, 20 to 35, from the Middle East of having a bomb goes up greatly does it not?

Same in Arizona, law enforcement can stop white and black folks and check their legal status and the chances of them being in the US illegally is slim to none. However, checking hispanics working in kitchens and elsewhere at menial jobs and at job sites and in select parts of the city and the odds go up greatly, does it not?

In Albuquerque, if law enforcement went to the Southwest part of the City, they would end up arresting most of that part of the city and the population of the City would probably be reduced by 1/4. Most of that part of the City is in Spanish (streets, signs, and so on). Mostly illegals...law enforcement could randomly stop anyone there and they would be illegal 9 out of 10 times and probably could barely speak English. The same holds true in Phoenix I would bet and in numerous areas of Arizona. That is all law enforcement needs to focus on. It isn't like they need to start stopping people on the street.

Plus, remember when we go to other countries we are TOLD to keep our passports on us at all times and that INCLUDES Mexico or we can be put in jail or deported. And we can be stopped at ANY time and asked to see our identification. Isn't THAT ironic

This is simple linear thinking -- some may call it pragmatic but lets take it to it's logical extension. OK -- so lets agree your premise is correct that illegals come from Mexico so we should allow racial profiling. What happens when the current Populism shifts to Catholics because of Northern Ireland to Blacks because of tensions in Africa? Once you start down the road of limiting freedoms of any group you jeopardize all groups. Is that the country you want to live in? I sure don't. There is no easy solution to this problem -- and limiting everyone's freedom is a simplistic flawed notion to solve it.

Let me see your papers -- to see if you are 'American' enough to post on this board!

Someone suggested on twitter that I may be bringing this up because I have an agenda. No such thing. Just seen stuff like this get brought up in Iowa City through the years, and anticipating it happening...and if it does, I'll reject it like I did Ms Erin Busuvious and the pink locker room flap.

This is simple linear thinking -- some may call it pragmatic but lets take it to it's logical extension. OK -- so lets agree your premise is correct that illegals come from Mexico so we should allow racial profiling. What happens when the current Populism shifts to Catholics because of Northern Ireland to Blacks because of tensions in Africa? Once you start down the road of limiting freedoms of any group you jeopardize all groups. Is that the country you want to live in? I sure don't. There is no easy solution to this problem -- and limiting everyone's freedom is a simplistic flawed notion to solve it.

Let me see your papers -- to see if you are 'American' enough to post on this board!

Straw man.

Go read the bill.

Someone suggested on twitter that I may be bringing this up because I have an agenda. No such thing. Just seen stuff like this get brought up in Iowa City through the years, and anticipating it happening...and if it does, I'll reject it like I did Ms Erin Busuvious and the pink locker room flap.

If this was the first time you thinly veiled a political discussion with something about the Hawkeyes I might believe you. This stuff belongs in the politics forum, you should abide by your own rules.

The city of Tucson as a whole and the U of A are extremely outspoken in their opposition to this law, so boycotting a trip there doesn't make much sense. I say that as a part-year resident of Tucson and an extremely liberal guy. A lot of people are staying away from the state, though-- I have a close friend who works in PR in Scottsdale, and one of her clients (a hotel) has had over $100,000 in cancellations since the law was passed. This is in a state where tourism is a huge sector of the economy. Well done, state legislature!

When you see professional athletes protesting a law-- in addition to the Suns and Spurs, the MLB Players Association is considering boycotting spring training-- it should tell you something, as professional athletes are among the most dependably conservative demographics in the U.S. Regardless of the ideology and politics behind the law, the economic consequences are going to savage the state (which is already in an financial tailspin), and a lot of those legislators are going to find themselves out of work, along with Governor Brewer. Just my prediction.

The city of Tucson as a whole and the U of A are extremely outspoken in their opposition to this law, so boycotting a trip there doesn't make much sense. I say that as a part-year resident of Tucson and an extremely liberal guy. A lot of people are staying away from the state, though-- I have a close friend who works in PR in Scottsdale, and one of her clients (a hotel) has had over $100,000 in cancellations since the law was passed. This is in a state where tourism is a huge sector of the economy. Well done, state legislature!

When you see professional athletes protesting a law-- in addition to the Suns and Spurs, the MLB Players Association is considering boycotting spring training-- it should tell you something, as professional athletes are among the most dependably conservative demographics in the U.S. Regardless of the ideology and politics behind the law, the economic consequences are going to savage the state (which is already in an financial tailspin), and a lot of those legislators are going to find themselves out of work, along with Governor Brewer. Just my prediction.

All that means is that like a majority of the people in this country, they haven't read the bill. It's an easy cause to get behind, even if they have no idea what it's about. You think Steve Nash gives a rip about the Arizona immigration law?

Professional sports are protesting because they want to expand their Hispanic audience.

Haven't you seen all the Ene-Be-A signs, and the ads for sports teams websites in Spanish?

It's all about the $$$

So this forum has turned from Imigration laws, to flanel shirt wearers, to Brabasol, to close shaves...I must say the key to a close shave is the razor though....Go Hawks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts