How do you feel if your kids goes to Iowa State and youre truly Hawk fan?

I have two sons that went to ISU. The first was more interested in partying and left after two years. The second got his degree and is employed in Urbandale. While I like to see ISU do well, I am and always will be a Hawk!!!

Unless you agree with the Regents who are trying to treat each university as if there were no differences among them, it really depends on what they are studying. If my child goes to ISU for Vet School, I'm okay with it.

Definitely wouldn't care. If ISU is better for their desired degree, I would hope they choose the better school for their plans. A kid doesn't owe any school anything based on sports fandom, just like kids don't owe the athletic department anything simply because they happen to attend the school.

Sad, Betrayed, Stabbed in the Back, but after getting over the negative reactions, I would encourage her to do well, especially get her studies done before going out with her friends to enjoy the college scene.....

Been a while, Atomic, you doing alright, my friend.....

:rolleyes:

I am the son in your scenario. Only person in my family to go to ISU, rest huge Iowa fans. If you are any kind of parent/family that cares about each other that stuff doesn't matter one bit. I was encouraged to go where I felt I needed to go. I have a 6 month old son and I would be very proud if he went to ISU or Iowa or Kirkwood, or the military or none of the above. Just as long as he is happy.

My son just graduated ISU this Spring, it was the better choice for the program/degree he wanted. That said he's a pretty smart kid, he's still a Hawk fan first and foremost.....

I have two sons that went to ISU. The first was more interested in partying and left after two years. The second got his degree and is employed in Urbandale. While I like to see ISU do well, I am and always will be a Hawk!!!

Sounds like the first son should have gone to Iowa. :cool:

Just depends on the kid and what he or she wants. Like others have said, if I have a son or daughter who wants to be a Vet. or an Engineer I think it would make perfect sense for them to go to ISU.

Also on a side note... I'm as big of a Hawkeye fan as you can be, but I can honestly say I would be a little concerned to have my son or daughter go to Iowa unless they were incredibly mature for their age. College kids are going to party. I get that. I'm fine with it. However, the party scene at Iowa can be a huge distraction. I found that out myself, and it worries me what my future kids may be like. Alcoholism and addiction runs in our family. Not with myself, but with my biological father. Now I partied my tail off, and I still managed to get my degree somehow. I'm just not sure I'd want my kid to be around that kind of a party scene.

With that said, I fully realize addiction can follow someone anywhere they go. The Iowa City scene just kind of takes it to a whole different level.

Going to ISU for an education? No problem. It's an excellent school.

If they switch colors as a fan? "Your mother and I will be watching on the big screen in the living room. Don't forget to grab the space heater on your way to the garage."

I am not a father ... but my dad went to Iowa in the 50s ... And I graduated from ISU in the 90s. And I grew up in a die-hard Hawk family. Three older brothers. 8 nephews. All die-hards... People still give me crud for going to ISU because they know how I bleed black and gold. I liked my time in Ames. I liked the journalism school ... I didn't like ISU sports ... and I still don't ... But I liked the university ... and my degree has served me well in my career. As for my dad ... well ... he still talks to me so I guess he didn't loose too much sleep :)