How can the Iowa MBB become a destination program - Nationwide?

You gotta watch the full exchange with that lady.

Yeah I started with the condensed version and then had to see what I missed. She's a firecracker. That was definitely great for a laugh. Absolutely brutal and straight to the point while holding very little back.

I’ll say this about Fran, he’s coaching at Iowa in an era where 1000+ kids transfer and guys who have no business leaving for the NBA leave early. How good would Davis had been if he couldn’t keep his entire roster in tact multiple years? How good could Iowa be if we could have kept guys like Cook, Moss, CJ and JoeW
Also feel this way

I’ll say this about Fran, he’s coaching at Iowa in an era where 1000+ kids transfer and guys who have no business leaving for the NBA leave early. How good would Davis had been if he couldn’t keep his entire roster in tact multiple years? How good could Iowa be if we could have kept guys like Cook, Moss, CJ and JoeW

Just my opinion but this is a net zero proposition, because Iowa is also playing against teams going through the same thing. For example, Iowa swept Minnesota who is pretty bad this year. However, it would have been a lot tougher and Iowa might have lost one if Carr was still on the team, who had 30 and 8 against Iowa in a win for Minny last year.

Just my opinion but this is a net zero proposition, because Iowa is also playing against teams going through the same thing. For example, Iowa swept Minnesota who is pretty bad this year. However, it would have been a lot tougher and Iowa might have lost one if Carr was still on the team, who had 30 and 8 against Iowa in a win for Minny last year.
Good point, but then I think, Fran is still pretty good at keeping guys in the program but now he's facing losing guys like Moss and CJF to Blue Bloods. I am sure that happens every where as well, I just think to myself, other coaches didn't coach in a time like that and IMO makes it more impressive.

Lute would have gotten torn up on message boards if he coached today.
Lute is always brought up as the coach who made Iowa a national contender. He did make the Final Four once, but he also lost a couple of first round games as a big favorite. His overall record at Iowa wasn't great, but much better than his predecessor, Schultz. Lute, like Ralph Miller, went on to bigger things at a PAC 10 school. Whether Oregon State and Arizona were dirty I don't know.

Lute is always brought up as the coach who made Iowa a national contender. He did make the Final Four once, but he also lost a couple of first round games as a big favorite. His overall record at Iowa wasn't great, but much better than his predecessor, Schultz. Lute, like Ralph Miller, went on to bigger things at a PAC 10 school. Whether Oregon State and Arizona were dirty I don't know.

Maybe, but Lute coached in a time when the tourney format was different. First round games are not comparable to first round games now. For example, he lost the "First round" in '79, but he was a 4 seed vs. a 5 seed and both teams had a bye before that.

In '81 he lost a "First round" game where Iowa was a 3 seed vs. a 6 seed. That's not some huge upset.

Good point, but then I think, Fran is still pretty good at keeping guys in the program but now he's facing losing guys like Moss and CJF to Blue Bloods. I am sure that happens every where as well, I just think to myself, other coaches didn't coach in a time like that and IMO makes it more impressive.

I guess I just think the landscape is different now. Nobody is hanging on to players. The blue bloods lose their best players to the NBA and the middle tier like ISU and Iowa lose their players to blue bloods. It just is what it is.

Maybe, but Lute coached in a time when the tourney format was different. First round games are not comparable to first round games now. For example, he lost the "First round" in '79, but he was a 4 seed vs. a 5 seed and both teams had a bye before that.

In '81 he lost a "First round" game where Iowa was a 3 seed vs. a 6 seed. That's not some huge upset.

Especially when the 1981 tourney game was on the home floor of the #6 team (Wichita State). :)

And in '81 he was forced to play Wichita State on their home court. Thank God they did away with this. It cost Illinois a final four in 1984 (where they would have gotten mauled by Georgetown anyway) and Kentucky got that honor instead. Later in the decade I remember Purdue having to play LSU on its home court.

I think that madness finally stopped in the late 80's. Arizona in 1987 was one of the last teams I remember getting to play a first round game on its home court and potentially host Iowa in the second round. Tim Hardaway and UTEP had other ideas, and then the Miners nearly dismantled Iowa as well

Lute's B1G record by the way was 92-70, and he inherited a hot mess when he took over. Not to shabby, and probably better than an above poster remembered.

And in '81 he was forced to play Wichita State on their home court. Thank God they did away with this. It cost Illinois a final four in 1984 (where they would have gotten mauled by Georgetown anyway) and Kentucky got that honor instead. Later in the decade I remember Purdue having to play LSU on its home court.

I think that madness finally stopped in the late 80's. Arizona in 1987 was one of the last teams I remember getting to play a first round game on its home court and potentially host Iowa in the second round. Tim Hardaway and UTEP had other ideas, and then the Miners nearly dismantled Iowa as well

Lute's B1G record by the way was 92-70, and he inherited a hot mess when he took over. Not to shabby, and probably better than an above poster remembered.
It was exactly as I remember. Lute had the good luck to have Ronnie Lester, the best point guard I've ever seen, and a bunch of decent role players. I was inferring that his time in Iowa was very good, but I think it had peaked. He was able to recruit better players to Arizona.

It was exactly as I remember. Lute had the good luck to have Ronnie Lester, the best point guard I've ever seen, and a bunch of decent role players. I was inferring that his time in Iowa was very good, but I think it had peaked. He was able to recruit better players to Arizona.
Not trying to be difficult, but Bobby Hansen was a "role player" who ended up playing in the NBA longer than Lester (who like Bobby won a ring) And if Lute had peaked prior to leaving, he went down fighting. His final Iowa team would have reached the Elite 8 had Hansen been able ro hit a couple free throws vs Villanova. Lute left a team behind that included Greg Stokes, who played a couple years in the NBA, and Brad Lohaus, who played in the league only one year fewer than Sean Elliott.

I don’t get it why are we talking about a new coach? Fran just put together a 20 win season with a bunch of JUCO level players, Murray excluded. This is one of the best coaching jobs that I have ever seen.

I don’t get it why are we talking about a new coach? Fran just put together a 20 win season with a bunch of JUCO level players, Murray excluded. This is one of the best coaching jobs that I have ever seen.
But, but...Mr. Davis!!!

But, but...Lute!!!