How can the Iowa MBB become a destination program - Nationwide?

Yep I think the only two ways are either 1) Cheating really well or 2) Luck into a great coach that sticks around long enough, and provides enough consistent results, for recruiting to start picking up, basically like a Gonzaga.

I ain't gonna turn blue holding my breath waiting for either of these two things to happen.

Iowa isn't going to steal a proven coach from a blue blood - and I think Iowa has shown in the past that they aren't willing to pony up the dough for a major hire, anyway. Or not so I've ever heard. It seems their business model is basically to find a guy that has success, and THEN pay him (Ferentz). Or maybe they've tried and there just is no mutual interest - I don't know.

I would also add that I think Gonzaga is lucky that Mark Few has stuck around for the long haul. Nearly always, those guys jump to a higher profile job.

Start paying recruits a lot of money, directly or indirectly.

That is how it is done.

John Wooden is in the hall of fame. He paid players through an agent. Bob Knight wouldn't even speak to him because of his cheating (and rightly so).

If I find out that Iowa is cheating like the scum bag bluebloods (Kansas, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, etc. etc.) I'm out. I will never watch an Iowa game again.

Some things in life are more important than winning college football or basketball games. Iowa doesn't cheat and generally runs clean programs. I'm ok with our results over the past 10 years in both sports. Lots of bowl championships in football and we certainly contend for our division title year after year (with one title). Basketball under Fran: Top 25 rankings and NCAA bids. That has been terrific.

College sports is going to have to be substantially changed before Iowa can contend with the cheating blue bloods (Ohio State cheats in football; well documented). Perhaps they go to the NFL model, where recruits are drafted and must go to the school where they are drafted for at least one year.

That is how it is done.

John Wooden is in the hall of fame. He paid players through an agent. Bob Knight wouldn't even speak to him because of his cheating (and rightly so).

If I find out that Iowa is cheating like the scum bag bluebloods (Kansas, UCLA, Duke, North Carolina, etc. etc.) I'm out. I will never watch an Iowa game again.

Some things in life are more important than winning college football or basketball games. Iowa doesn't cheat and generally runs clean programs. I'm ok with our results over the past 10 years in both sports. Lots of bowl championships in football and we certainly contend for our division title year after year (with one title). Basketball under Fran: Top 25 rankings and NCAA bids. That has been terrific.

College sports is going to have to be substantially changed before Iowa can contend with the cheating blue bloods (Ohio State cheats in football; well documented). Perhaps they go to the NFL model, where recruits are drafted and must go to the school where they are drafted for at least one year.
There's things to like about the NFL. One is the scheduling in that the Super Bowl champion of the previous year gets a much more difficult slate of teams to play the next season, at least on paper anyway. However for various reasons I'm sure that couldn't happen at the P5 college level.

Rally up the rich UNI, ISU and Iowa alumni. Implement this plan: UNI and ISU alumni pay recruits to go to Iowa. Iowa, ISU pay for UNI. and UNI. Iowa pay for ISU.

This is a loophole in the system, exploit like tOSU does in football. This is a great way to become elite.
I've not heard of this before.

It’s not negative Nancy to say something is impossible when it is.

There is literally nothing you can do other than luck into an awesome coach or cheat. Blue blood programs either had a unicorn coach come in (Krzeycwrzscrzyskwski, Few, etc) or they started doing dirty shit to get the best recruits. Once they start winning tons of ballgames and making deep tourney runs the recruiting happens by itself and there’s no stopping the train.

The best players are the ones you need to be an elite national team. Those players are only going to play one, and rarely two years. And those players go to the blue bloods. It’s no different in college football.

Garza is actually some of the best evidence for this. We had the unanimous POY and best player in college basketball for two years running, and we still couldn't pick up top guys out of the portal. Lost a starter to Xavier (for good reasons) and lost a kid to Kentucky to play for the current dirtiest coach in NCAA basketball.

In other words, unless this team lucks into the second coming of Mike Kyrsezrwyczrewski or starts making huuuuge brown bag deliveries to recruits’ parents, it ain’t happening. Fran does the right thing and runs a clean program. But the phrases, "clean program" and "blue blood" don't go together. Hell, even if Fran told a recruit he'd give his parents $100K, a booster will give you a car, and we'll pay someone to do your schoolwork for a year until you go pro how would that compete with the schools that already do that shit?
Fry absolutely nailed it.

Doesn't mean I don't love the Hawks. I'll continue to watch and root like hell, but facts is facts.

That is how it is done.

I've got bad news, bruh. The new NIL rules are basically going to require any team that has a snowball's chance in hell of being competitive to get boosters ready to sign recruits up to endorsement contracts which are going to put the graft everywhere. Of course, since it will be permitted, it won't be cheating.

2 things...

1 - This conversation has taken place in countless other threads.

2 - The only thing different is you’ve put limitations on allowable responses which eliminate the ability to respond honestly and accurately.
Because it has been discussed countless times it typically turns into what has already happened - basic answer is "not happening" without luck or "this is Iowa", and the proclaimed "honestly and accurately" is a cop out. Thus, the limitations - these comments lacks creativity of thought and an unwillingness to think outside of the norm. I'm fine with that, it's your choice... but that wasn't the intent of this post.

HEY EVERYONE! The world is FLAT!! Don't go exploring because you will die and that's what we all believe. Coincides with exactly goes on with way too many discussion.

Then we have the segment that wants to blame Barta, but when the large majority of the arguments mostly fall into the stated comments, everyone is basically stating that it doesn't matter if its Barta or not - because of this argument. So which is it? Barta or luck?

Because it has been discussed countless times it typically turns into what has already happened - basic answer is "not happening" without luck or "this is Iowa", and the proclaimed "honestly and accurately" is a cop out. Thus, the limitations - these comments lacks creativity of thought and an unwillingness to think outside of the norm. I'm fine with that, it's your choice... but that wasn't the intent of this post.
Well then, Poindexter, why don't you explain for us a scenario in which an Iowa program under the rules of the NCAA and without dumb luck can form itself into a basketball powerhouse?

If what literally everyone here is saying is a "cop out," what's your solution? If you're going to tell us our answers are bullshit you have to be prepared to show otherwise. Because if you don't, your solution is just as bullshit as ours.

I'm thinking you're probably afraid to answer that first question because you know that it'll get shot out of the water with a dose of reality.

Well then, Poindexter, why don't you explain for us a scenario in which an Iowa program under the rules of the NCAA and without dumb luck can form itself into a basketball powerhouse?

If what literally everyone here is saying is a "cop out," what's your solution? If you're going to tell us our answers are bullshit you have to be prepared to show otherwise. Because if you don't, your solution is just as bullshit as ours.

I'm thinking you're probably afraid to answer that first question because you know that it'll get shot out of the water with a dose of reality.
Why certainly Howdy Doody... I hadn't put one out there due to work and a new shop I'm building...

I really think it begins with a coach that knows how to put a staff together with a bit of "stardom" in their resume (aka Juan Howard) and a group of assistants that have a similar resume. See Michigan - with a good mix of stardom (recruiting) and experience:
Head Coach - Juwan Howard - resume speaks for itself
Assistants:
Saddi Washington (4th season) - retained from Beilein's staff - provided stability through the transition - probably the weakest resume from a known commodity
Phil Martelli (1st season) - led Saint Joseph's to seven NCAA Tournaments and six NIT appearances in 24 seasons as head coach
Howard Eisley (1st season) - An American retired professional basketball player and coach. Born in Detroit, Eisley played college basketball at Boston College

So who could or would have fit a similar role for Iowa? I can think of a couple that would have the name recognition, stardom, local ties, have the ability to coach players up and the connections to hire good assistants to help with regional recruiting and such. Not all inclusive or even names that haven't been discussed before... remember this would be me working in Barta's shoes and in my opinion misses on his part. A couple of good examples would have been Bobby Hanson or BJ Armstrong. I don't think neither would think about it now... but there was a time they might have strongly considered it.

Moving forward - Matt Gatens or Jeff Horner? Do they have the connections to build a staff to attract regional talent? Those are the questions I'd be asking them.
As another example - Hoiberg worked out well for ISU - good for us he left.

I really think that's a realistic and attainable path.

Your turn Howdy Doody.

Why certainly Howdy Doody... I hadn't put one out there due to work and a new shop I'm building...

I really think it begins with a coach that knows how to put a staff together with a bit of "stardom" in their resume (aka Juan Howard) and a group of assistants that have a similar resume. See Michigan - with a good mix of stardom (recruiting) and experience:
Head Coach - Juwan Howard - resume speaks for itself
Assistants:
Saddi Washington
Phil Martelli
Howard Eisley
Michigan is already a blue blood school. Howard is a product of that school from it's best days. Iowa has nothing even remotely in the same area code as Michigan when it comes to history, recruiting power, and hiring power. Not even remotely close.

So who could or would have fit a similar role for Iowa? I can think of a couple that would have the name recognition, stardom, local ties, have the ability to coach players up and the connections to hire good assistants to help with regional recruiting and such. Not all inclusive or even names that haven't been discussed before... remember this would be me working in Barta's shoes and in my opinion misses on his part. A couple of good examples would have been Bobby Hanson or BJ Armstrong. I don't think neither would think about it now... but there was a time they might have strongly considered it.

Moving forward - Matt Gatens or Jeff Horner? Do they have the connections to build a staff to attract regional talent? Those are the questions I'd be asking them.
As another example - Hoiberg worked out well for ISU - good for us he left.
Again, rolling the dice on coaches, lol. This is akin to people who think if they play a slot machine long enough they're going to come out ahead. How many program changing coaches have there been in the last 25 years that have come in and made a team elite? Remember your original post said "what does Iowa have top do to be able to get any recruit they want?"

There have been maybe 5 or 6 of those coaches who have done complete 180s. How many total P5 coaches have there been altogether in that time frame? Hundreds.

How do you know Horner would work out no matter how well he did at Truman State? How well did it work out hiring Lickliter because he won games at Butler?

Either way you look at it you're rolling the roulette wheel only with way worse odds. Hoiberg was good at ISU but he's completely flopped in nebraska. Whether you like to admit it or not, past coaching performance doesn't indicate future performance at all.

Again, you're talking about things that require luck and your OP specifically asked what Iowa could do to reliably make itself a "destination" program? The answer is nothing.

I tried. Unfortunately, the Google has rendered the search functionality on the Youtube basically worthless. I think they're trying to make it easier to memory hole shit. You get like 10 results, which ain't gonna find shit that is 5 years old unless it's a song or a meme and you got the name pretty close, then it rolls into the "OTHER VIDEOS YOU MIGHT LIKE" which have nothing to do with the search. It plays in really well with America's collective ADHD.
Here you go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5S5ZXWxc98&t=5484s

Michigan is already a blue blood school. Howard is a product of that school from it's best days. Iowa has nothing even remotely in the same area code as Michigan when it comes to history, recruiting power, and hiring power. Not even remotely close.
True, but they sucked last year and he readjusted on his staff. Why?

Hoiberg? ISU a blue blood?

Anyway, you asked I provided... without the normal excuses.

Nope. It's still your turn, because you haven't given us an answer to how (without relying on luck or cheating) Iowa can make itself into a blue blood and get any player it wants.
Just because you don't like or agree to my answer doesn't mean it doesn't work. Quit screaming the world is flat and be creative in your thinking. That's all I'm asking, is it too much to ask? Apparently so...

Just because you don't like or agree to my answer doesn't mean it doesn't work. Quit screaming the world is flat and be creative in your thinking. That's all I'm asking, is it too much to ask? Apparently so...
Your idea relies on hiring a coach who you have no idea how he will perform whatsoever. That’s gambling. It relies on luck.

What’s your real solution?