How Bad Is This Season So Far?

I actually think Penn State will be a tournament team this year. They actually have a point guard and we recruited him and missed.
Their RPI is 135 right now. They have a long way to go before they can talk about the tournament, and their aren't a lot of great wins in the BIG to have. Indiana, our other conference game has an RPI of 180. My point is, we haven't played anyone really good yet and our record is bad.

You’re going to you use an excuse about a guy that would be a gray shirt on any top ten program? Are you being serious?
The returning B1G sixth man of the year? The only upperclassmen on our team set to average more than 20 minutes? Arguably the most important or second most important player on our team?

It’s amazing all these new posters I see running around on here now that Iowa is doing terrible...

We played Penn State at home and lost. It was kind of embarrassing. I wouldn't use that argument to say this season hasn't been horrible.
Figure it out. His Op was about record and point differential through 11 games. Do you think those numbers are going to be different when comparing teams who played two B1G conference games through the first 11 or replace those games with two cream puffs as the previous teams had. Derp

The returning B1G sixth man of the year? The only upperclassmen on our team set to average more than 20 minutes? Arguably the most important or second most important player on our team?

It’s amazing all these new posters I see running around on here now that Iowa is doing terrible...
I agree, Baer needs to play. But I also agree the rotation has to be shortened. I'm just not sure who you cut out. Not many have been consistent enough to say they deserve more minutes, but everyone has shown flashes of being able to contribute. I understand Fran's dilemma here, but I guess that's why he makes the big bucks. I don't see many teams who are successful with 11 man rotations.

Figure it out. His Op was about record and point differential through 11 games. Do you think those numbers are going to be different when comparing teams who played two B1G conference games through the first 11 or replace those games with two cream puffs as the previous teams had. Derp
I'm not saying Fran is as bad as Lick by any stretch. I'm just saying the start to the season has been putrid, and nobody should try to defend it. Stick with the "look what he has done in previous years" and "the future is bright with all this young talent" narrative.

I agree, Baer needs to play. But I also agree the rotation has to be shortened. I'm just not sure who you cut out. Not many have been consistent enough to say they deserve more minutes, but everyone has shown flashes of being able to contribute. I understand Fran's dilemma here, but I guess that's why he makes the big bucks. I don't see many teams who are successful with 11 man rotations.
I totally agree the rotation needs to be shortened and think that is a legitimate concern with Fran. I’m all for having realistic discussions about our current shortcomings but it gets difficult when many of these posters are so out of touch with reality.

I totally agree the rotation needs to be shortened and think that is a legitimate concern with Fran. I’m all for having realistic discussions about our current shortcomings but it gets difficult when many of these posters are so out of touch with reality.
I agree that some go over the top, and I fully admit I have gone over the top on game days. It's the nature of the beast. We all got our hopes up with what we had coming back and the new kids coming in and it has been a colossal disappointment so far. I truly hope it all turns around.

I'm not saying Fran is as bad as Lick by any stretch. I'm just saying the start to the season has been putrid, and nobody should try to defend it. Stick with the "look what he has done in previous years" and "the future is bright with all this young talent" narrative.
I don’t have a narrative. I’m as unhappy with how this season has gone as anyone. I was so excited for this season and now I barely get excited to watch the games.

With that said I am still going to watch this team and see where they go from here. I also understand that there are other factors that have contributed to some of the poor performance. The looney crowd says it’s all excuses and that’s okay by me.

If you want to have legitimate discussions about Fran’s issues: unbalanced classes, poor guard recruiting, too long of a rotation, poor in game coaching, I am all for that, but you can’t have those discussions with people who instantly dismiss any of his accomplishments while here at Iowa.

I don’t have a narrative. I’m as unhappy with how this season has gone as anyone. I was so excited for this season and now I barely get excited to watch the games.

With that said I am still going to watch this team and see where they go from here. I also understand that there are other factors that have contributed to some of the poor performance. The looney crowd says it’s all excuses and that’s okay by me.

If you want to have legitimate discussions about Fran’s issues: unbalanced classes, poor guard recruiting, too long of a rotation, poor in game coaching, I am all for that, but you can’t have those discussions with people who instantly dismiss any of his accomplishments while here at Iowa.
Fair enough. Personally there are things that have bugged me about Fran since he's been here, but I have always been grateful for getting us out of the Lick hell.
This year Fran has been driving me crazy, but that happens when you lose. It's a lot easier to second guess everything.
Now I just want to see some improvement throughout the year. Next year will be an important season for Fran in my opinion.

Fair enough. Personally there are things that have bugged me about Fran since he's been here, but I have always been grateful for getting us out of the Lick hell.
This year Fran has been driving me crazy, but that happens when you lose. It's a lot easier to second guess everything.
Now I just want to see some improvement throughout the year. Next year will be an important season for Fran in my opinion.
I’ve been a Fran supporter. This is the first year I can remember myself yelling at him through the TV almost every game.

Do you see many teams who are unsuccessful with 11 man rotations?

Those two conference games are against teams currently ranked #147 and 171 in the RPI, respectively.

Outside of ISU who is #26, our highest opponents are VT (86) and SDSU (78). The numbers will change, obviously, but Iowa has not exactly faced murderers row.

After 11 games, Iowa has exactly ZERO wins against the RPI Top 150. Our best win is #216. Barring water turning into wine, Iowa's NCAA Tournament hopes are pretty much toast already.

No matter how you try to spin it, this season has been horrendous.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/2294

Do you see many teams who are unsuccessful with 11 man rotations?

I don't know many teams at all that do it. West Virginia maybe? The worse thing is it will probably go to a 12 man rotation with Cordell back now that Connor is in the mix.

Lick's first year he was 6-5 in his first 11 games. Outscored opponents avg of 11.18 points a game.
Lick's second year he was 9-2 in his first 11 games. Outscored opponents avg of 15.81 points a game.
Lick's third year he was 4-7 in his first 11 games. Outscored opponents avg of 14 points a game.

This year, Fran is 5-6 in his first 11 games. Outscored opponents avg of 5 points a game.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAZzAAAAJDhlNTk2ODQ5LTIyOGItNGNjZS04YWU1LWU5ODBmN2E3Y2U1OQ.jpg

Lick gave up 1.2 point guards a season. Fran doesn’t have any point guards to give up.:D

Those two conference games are against teams currently ranked #147 and 171 in the RPI, respectively.

Outside of ISU who is #26, our highest opponents are VT (86) and SDSU (78). The numbers will change, obviously, but Iowa has not exactly faced murderers row.

After 11 games, Iowa has exactly ZERO wins against the RPI Top 150. Our best win is #216. Barring water turning into wine, Iowa's NCAA Tournament hopes are pretty much toast already.

No matter how you try to spin it, this season has been horrendous.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/sort/RPI/teamId/2294
Stop using the RPI. It is a flawed statistic, especially early in the season.

Here is KenPom ratings of those opponents:
VT: 30
PSU: 39
ISU: 63
Indiana: 82

Are PSU and Indiana juggernauts? No. But they are much better than the normal cream puff states that those games would normally be replaced with.

Stop using the RPI. It is a flawed statistic, especially early in the season.

Here is KenPom ratings of those opponents:
VT: 30
PSU: 39
ISU: 63
Indiana: 82

Are PSU and Indiana juggernauts? No. But they are much better than the normal cream puff states that those games would normally be replaced with.

So we lost to a few so-so teams. It who Iowa has beaten (absolutely nobody) that would mean something. Iowa's schedule has been pretty soft so far no matter how you slice it.

The spin machine is really working overtime here.

So we lost to a few so-so teams. It who Iowa has beaten (absolutely nobody) that would mean something. Iowa's schedule has been pretty soft so far no matter how you slice it.

The spin machine is really working overtime here.
I have in fact never argued that Iowa’s season is going well. It is going absolutely terrible and I have no issues admitting that.

The only issue I have is with the OP of this thread. In past seasons Iowa never played B1G games in their first 11 so that has extremely changed the statistic the OP has presented. That is what you call “spin”.

Latest posts