Horner, Recker, Gamble, Settles, Bowen candidates for assistant job; All Players Back

Re: Horner, Recker, Gamble, Settles, Bowen candidates for assistant job; All Players

What I like is that it isn't a maybe about hiring a former player, but definite. However, I am not sure if that was an actual list or if he was just listing ex players.

Re: Horner, Recker, Gamble, Settles, Bowen candidates for assistant job; All Players

Jeff Horner would be an awesome addition.

What I like is that it isn't a maybe about hiring a former player, but definite. However, I am not sure if that was an actual list or if he was just listing ex players.

I would vote for Gamble, had a good NBA Career and good coaching experience. He would have cred from players because of his NBA success.

Impressive list. Gamble probably has the most experience out of them all.

Jeff Horner would be an awesome addition.

I like Horner and possibly Recker. The other guys have a generation gap with current recruits. I think Horner would be great for securing in-state recruits, and providing someone on the team players can relate with. Horner has recently walked in their shoes. I think people underestimate the need to focus on Iowa kids. Over a 4-5 year period we usually have a pretty solid Big 10 caliber nucleus of players. Lately we've been losing some of these guys as well. We need to keep these guys, our best team in recent memory had Horner, Brunner, Haluska, and Henderson all playing large roles. I think Horner would be useful for recruiting the Paige's and Jok's of the state.

Jeff coached at West Des Moines Valley this past season. He has no other coaching experience besides that.

Jeff coached at West Des Moines Valley this past season. He has no other coaching experience besides that.

Too bad he didn't coach at Dowling, then he would already have the recruiting experience as well.

I am simply more impressed with Coach McCaffery each day that passes. I was less than thrilled on Sunday and am now beside myself with giddiness.

I am just so happy he is our coach. I really like his approach to each task that is in front of him. His commitment to meet with each current players parents gives us just a little bit more of a clear picture as to how he will represent himself while at Iowa.

I'll disagree, Drew.

If this program is halfway decent we don't need a guy that prepped in Iowa to secure the Iowa recruits we need to get. We more need a former player that has inroads into Illinois and Michigan.

Your generation gap thinking is not a reason to push for a guy that is just out of school for four or five years instead of a guy that has better connections. Are there a lot of other teams that are that concerned about this sort of thing that they bring in a guy that won't have a generation gap with the players on the team? I think there is probably another position that can handle that, like if there is a way to have a guy on staff like KF has in the former player that is now the "counselor guy" for the football players.

I am probably one of the few guys that feels it is so important to have a former player on staff. I personally want the coach that will give us the best chance to compete. I just don't see how being a former Iowa player , if that is the prerequisite, does that if he doesn't bring everything else that a coach in that position can bring. How that would be a former high school player from Iowa that has no coaching experience, no connections to the AAU circuit outside the state of Iowa and no connections to the high schools outside of Iowa that we need to recruit, well, I just don't see the need for a former player at the expense of getting the right person.

I have to admit that I am so in the minority there that I know I will get slammed to no end. And I don't have anything against Horner or any other former Hawk. I just really want the assistant coaches that give us the best chance to win. Period.

Wasnt horner an assistant at Grand View too?

Was trying to see what Kevin Gamble has done. Seems pretty impressive, I would think he and Rodell would be the front runners.

Info on Kevin Gamble....
Gamble is the first head coach of the Prairie Stars in the college's history as they just started up their basketball program.[5] The 2006-07 season saw the Prairie Stars capture their first American Midwest Conference (AMC) regular season title outright, win their second consecutive AMC Tournament and advance to the second round of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) National Tournament. Gamble's team went 11-1 in conference play and 23-9 overall and his continued success earned Gamble his second American Midwest Conference Coach of the Year honor.[

Re: I'll disagree, Drew.

I guess my thought is that no former player is going to have pre-existing in-roads to Chicago. We either need to a hire a guy with pre-existing connections irrespective of the former player. Or we need to hire a former player who we believe has the potential to develop connections. Developing connections is nothing but hard-work, personality, and selling oneself. I personally think a guy like Horner/Recker might have the skills/ambition to pound the pavement more than some of the older guys.

Also, I know others might disagree, but I don't think it is safe to assume we will get top Iowa kids, and I think it is essential (even more so than Chicago) that we do. If we have one assistant who locks down Iowa and competes hard in the Dakotas (which has been decent to us) and Omaha, and Western Illinois that is valuable. Another assistant can provide connections into the urban areas. Hopefully all can coach.

Horner for grad student assistant. Davis as first option, Gamble as very close section. I am not feeling Recker. Let Alford hire him.

I love the fact a former player will be an assistant. It bothers me a little when it appears he is limited or limiting it to one. Its like he is on a tight budget or he has to add one as part of taking the job. If the guys are qualified and can add value, why only one? Look at Coach K, he has 3 or 4 former Duke players on his bench and 3 or 4 more at other schools. If money is no object on this hire, lets get it done.

Too bad he didn't coach at Dowling, then he would already have the recruiting experience as well.

ZINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 hahah horner was a great assistant at valley this year..great

He also helped at Grandview University so Valley isn't his only coaching experience. As you could probably guess the players at Grandview got along great with him and from what I heard they loved having him around with his knowledge.

:D

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Latest posts