Hoops Numbers Before the Storm

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
A look at where Iowa 'ranks' in the RPI and other measures, the schedule the rest of the way and this week's Big Ten Power Rankings.

More...

Is the formula for RPI that the Tourney committee uses a secret or something? Why don't they say what it is so everyone knows exactly where their at. If anybody knows how that works I'd be curious to know.

Nebraska actually plays ‘slower’ than Northwestern when you account for adjusted tempo free statistic

How do you determine how fast or slow a team plays from a tempo free statistic?

VaTech lost another player. They are down to 7 scholarship players. So I think we can expect their RPI to not help the Hawks when the regular season winds down.

Nebraska actually plays ‘slower’ than Northwestern when you account for adjusted tempo free statistic

How do you determine how fast or slow a team plays from a tempo free statistic?

As I understand it, tempo free means you're looking more at efficiency, rather than just raw numbers. Nebraska is probably less efficient than Northwestern.

As I understand it, tempo free means you're looking more at efficiency, rather than just raw numbers. Nebraska is probably less efficient than Northwestern.

Yeah...that makes no sense. How efficient a team is has absolutely nothing to do with pace of play.

this is what is wrong with ranking services, they don't take injuries into account.

How can you take injuries into account? Not sure how that would work. For the fans who follow basketball rankings aren't that important. I don't care if Iowa is ever ranked, as long as they win who cares. Although I think Iowa gets past Indiana and Michigan, they are looking at top 20 easily, if not top 15.

Yeah...that makes no sense. How efficient a team is has absolutely nothing to do with pace of play.

That's not what the adjusted tempo stats are for, though. It's easy to skew numbers in your favor, like ppg. If you play faster, you get more possessions, and likely more points. But that doesn't make you better than a team that plays at a slower pace and scores few points per game.

Adjusted tempo is simply a way to evaluate teams without their respective paces of play fudging the numbers.

That's not what the adjusted tempo stats are for, though. It's easy to skew numbers in your favor, like ppg. If you play faster, you get more possessions, and likely more points. But that doesn't make you better than a team that plays at a slower pace and scores few points per game.

Adjusted tempo is simply a way to evaluate teams without their respective paces of play fudging the numbers.

What are you talking about? From Ken Pom himself, Adjusted Tempo is

An estimate of the tempo (possessions per 40 minutes) a team would have against the team that wants to play at an average D-I tempo

So yeah it pretty much just measures pace of play. It has nothing to do with efficiency.

There was a mistake in Jon's article. There's obviously no such thing as an adjusted tempo free stat used to measure pace of play. There's an adjusted tempo stat category, and tempo free advanced stats. There's no such thing as adjusted tempo free tempo.

bottom line, 9 conference wins gets Iowa into the tournament..........at least it should if there is any justice.

It depends on who they beat to get to 9 wins. Regardless how many wins Iowa gets in conference play they will need to pull off a couple of upsets to get into the big dance. I do not think Iowa can get in by just beating teams like Penn State and Nebraska.

9 wins will get Iowa in if they beat Indiana and/or MSU with those wins.

They cannot lose to PSU/Neb, or they will have to win at least 10. That is where the nonconference hurts them, one loss to PSU/Neb means they have to have 2 big wins to replace it, but if that bad loss is at home...ugh:mad:

Also, Jon, I think your two best teams are correct, but I think Michigan has the edge with Burke/Stauskas matching up against Ferell/Hulls. Jordan Morgan has proven he can defend Zeller and adding McGary against him is not going to hurt their chances.

The benches are even because both are extremely deep, UM doesn't have the big names off their bench like IU has in Perea, but they are pretty good.

If Iowa and Illanoy both have 9 wins, who would get in if only one. Put another way, with IL annoy playing an tougher NC schedule and a B1G schedule that includes OSU and UM 2x and IL Annoy has 1 less B1G win and they can't take both, who would they take?

I'm thinking 10.. which should be more than doable

When you look at the schedule, it seems like we can get to 10, but we have to remember, this is a young team, who reallly hasn't beaten anybody yet. ISU was okay, but not great, and we lost to the other 2 teams with a pulse. I do think we've improved a lot since those two loses, but the jury is still out. A team led by mostly Freshman and Sophomores will likely hit some rough patches. I'm thinking we get somewhere around 7-9 conference wins this year.

refresh my memory, just who did Michigan lose off of last seasons BT 3 way tie championship team?
as I recall MSU'S recruiting class was 9th, Indiana's was 11th and Michigan's class was 14th and Iowa's was 25th by ESPN,
so I don't understand how people just automatically just think Indiana is going to just walk over teams and claim the BT Title
Michigan recruits 18th best RobinsonIII SF
27TH best McGary pf/c
76th best Stauskas SF
and as we are seeing 3 of that 25th rated class are starting with the lowest rated recruit in Clemmons at
2* 72nd best PG, but the #1 PG and 3rd best in the state of Michigan by the Michigan people
another kid Fran found that is making ranking people look stupid, all because of not getting the right offers,
just like White

Latest posts