Hoops Numbers Before the Storm

Evan Turner's averages against Iowa that year in 2 games:

24 PPG, 9.5 RPG, 6 APG and 3.5 SPG on 48.6% shooting.

I know Turner was great that year and IIRC he was National Player of the Year, but those numbers dont help your argument that May was a great defender.

He led Iowa in steals and blocks his freshman year, also was 2nd on the team in DREB.

He led Iowa in steals and blocks his freshman year, also was 2nd on the team in DREB.

May was not a lock down defender but he was athletic enough to jump a passing lane and physical enough to rebound.

May was never going to be a great player, he was a poor ball handler as a freshman and has not really improved that part of his game. He just can't create off the bounce so it really limits him as a wing player.

May was not a lock down defender but he was athletic enough to jump a passing lane and physical enough to rebound.

May was never going to be a great player, he was a poor ball handler as a freshman and has not really improved that part of his game. He just can't create off the bounce so it really limits him as a wing player.

I don't disagree with this assessment.

Neither does posting the stats of a player of the year that he defended. ;)

And, be fair, I never said he was a great defender in this thread.

Ok, you didnt say he was great, but you made it a point by saying "dont forget about his defense". My bad on that exact language of your post.

You brought up Turner, not me. It doesnt do a bit of good if May guarded Turner but was torched doing it. It just means Iowa had nobody else better to throw at Turner. Being the best of a bad bunch doesnt make him good.

May is a good energy guy to have on the court. His spacing and his knack for being a ball stopper on offense was frustrating at times though. But he's valuable coming off the bench. He has a chance to prove even more valuable if he hones in on becoming a pest on defense. Sorta what you saw with O'Rear provide for UNI would go a long ways.

Ok, you didnt say he was great, but you made it a point by saying "dont forget about his defense". My bad on that exact language of your post.

You brought up Turner, not me. It doesnt do a bit of good if May guarded Turner but was torched doing it. It just means Iowa had nobody else better to throw at Turner. Being the best of a bad bunch doesnt make him good.

That's fine. I'm just saying Eric May played some solid defense as a freshman, which I used to help build the season he had a true frosh on a bad team.

May has been a bust ever since. He will have minimal minutes in league play if Gesell and Clemmons and stay healthy and out of foul trouble as well as Ingram improving his play as well.

Damn! You'd better get on the horn to McCaffery and let him know how screwed up his rotation is. He's got May out there for almost half the game!

Latest posts