Hoiberg to Nebraska

He didn't get any Iowa kids when he was at ISU. If anyone he goes after that Fr. at Ames, and he is a big ISU fan I guess.
With Iowa State losing all their stars this year, Iowa State will probably go down the drain. Hopefully, Iowa will be on the rise. He probably won't be as big a fan in a couple of years.

With Iowa State losing all their stars this year, Iowa State will probably go down the drain. Hopefully, Iowa will be on the rise. He probably won't be as big a fan in a couple of years.

If I were an ISU fan, I'd be in panic territory right now. You now have Prohm for good, with no shot of getting Hoiberg back. I'd be shocked if ISU can make the NCAA tournament next year losing what they did this year. If Prohm is 1-2 in making the NCAA with his recruits, I'd be so mad how he pissed away all the talent Hoiberg left him. I mean Hoiberg left Prohm with a Final 4 level talent, and once they were gone we are seeing what Prohm can really do coaching wise.

If I were an ISU fan, I'd be in panic territory right now. You now have Prohm for good, with no shot of getting Hoiberg back. I'd be shocked if ISU can make the NCAA tournament next year losing what they did this year. If Prohm is 1-2 in making the NCAA with his recruits, I'd be so mad how he pissed away all the talent Hoiberg left him. I mean Hoiberg left Prohm with a Final 4 level talent, and once they were gone we are seeing what Prohm can really do coaching wise.

Yep. Prohm had 5 players that have time on NBA rosters his 1st year, 3 of those players returned for his 2nd year and last year they were all gone and was a clear rebuilding year. Then this year they bounced back but are yet again headed towards a rebuild with all of the players leaving/graduating. Plenty of unknown to make any fan base worry.

now that its a done deal, the question is: will he steal in-state talent away from Iowa/Ia. St./UNI/Drake?
What in-State talent.

We need ATHLETIC 4* players from metro areas like DM not non-ATHLETIC 4* players from New Hartford, Iowa.

Credit to the Nebraska AD for his hires in football and basketball these last two years. HuskerNation believes they have the right coaches now in place to climb to the top of the B1G pecking order and maybe they do. If Nebraska is as successful as HuskerNation believes it would most likely be a detriment to our Hawkeyes. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

I feel Hoiberg was a great hire for them. They built that new BB palace and now they want some Ws, I don't blame them. On paper Hoeberg is everything they want, born in Lincoln, parents are alums, grandpa was the head coach for 8 years, all kinds of college and pro experience. Can he bring in the players and win, we'll see? There are lots of good BB programs in the B1G that will have something to say about that.

You don't actually believe this.

What has Prohm done with his own players so far? As soon as Fred’s guys graduated he missed the NCAA tournament even though he had 2 years to replace them. When Fred walked in to a decimated roster he was in the NCAA tournament in his 2nd year because he completely revamped the roster. Prohm had two years to get player and yet in year 3 needed to “rebuild”? WTF for, he had two years to get ready for year 3???

Maybe I’m premature here, I get that. If Prohm can make the NCAA after losing that much talent I’ll be here next year saying he is a good coach. If he misses the NCAA next year, I’d be on the ledge if I were a ISU fan.

What has Prohm done with his own players so far? As soon as Fred’s guys graduated he missed the NCAA tournament even though he had 2 years to replace them. When Fred walked in to a decimated roster he was in the NCAA tournament in his 2nd year because he completely revamped the roster. Prohm had two years to get player and yet in year 3 needed to “rebuild”? WTF for, he had two years to get ready for year 3???

Maybe I’m premature here, I get that. If Prohm can make the NCAA after losing that much talent I’ll be here next year saying he is a good coach. If he misses the NCAA next year, I’d be on the ledge if I were a ISU fan.
giphy.gif

You don't actually believe this.

If having 5 future NBA guys (all upperclassmen) and a majority of a roster that had been part of back to back top 10 finishes in the final AP ranking the prior 2 years doesn't scream final 4 potential roster, then I'm not sure what does. ISU was preseason #7 and spent the bulk of Prohm's first season in the top 15. Granted Naz got hurt that year but that's beside the point. Prohm was handed about as good a team any coach could ask for during year 1. 3 of those 5 NBA guys returned for year 2.

If he makes the tourney next year it will be his best coaching job. For sure.

As to the final four talent thing, I find it very hard to believe you thought that going into that season. I could go back to posts from around that time to see what you guys really thought but I think we all know what I'd find.

As to having 2 years to rebuild the roster, he really only had one. He got hired in June. There is nothing left at that point. And we've seen, he has not done well with grad transfers. He absolutely needs to hit a home run there this offseason to make the tourney realistic for this.

I stated earlier if Prohm makes the NCAA's this year, that I would probably back off this as I would consider that a good coaching job. So far though, what he has done is taken Fred's guys and won and not much beyond that.

As far as recruiting in that first year, Fred managed to do it just fine. I mean the guy had NOTHING on the roster, and he still built it up in 1 year and turned them into a NCAA team for the rest of his time there. Plus he left a stocked cupboard for Prohm to kick off his first 2 seasons worth. Steve got Sr.: Niang, McKay, and Nadar and Jr: Morris, Thomas, Long and Burton. I mean I could coach those teams to the sweet 16.

I mean honestly you are really trying to make the case that Prohm had it sooooo tough that in the first full year of recruiting he couldn't get some kids in to get the team ready for 2 years from then?

Latest posts