HN 2013 On the Record: Football Prediction

Clone fan prediction - Iowa goes 3-1 Non conf (loses to ISU) and then goes 3-5 in conference play with wins over Michigan State, Purdue, and surprise victory over Wisky.

Iowa makes a bowl game.

Let's try the recruiting angle for a little fun........using Rival's Big 10 class rankings for the last 4 years and using this incoming talent ranking as the only gauge:

It would say that Iowa should go 8-4 overall with losses to MSU (close), OSU, MI, and NE......easier wins in all of the non-conf schedule plus MN......and close games but victories over NW, WI, and PU.

Let's try the recruiting angle for a little fun........using Rival's Big 10 class rankings for the last 4 years and using this incoming talent ranking as the only gauge:

It would say that Iowa should go 8-4 overall with losses to MSU (close), OSU, MI, and NE......easier wins in all of the non-conf schedule plus MN......and close games but victories over NW, WI, and PU.

Actually there's a site that predicts games based on recruiting and they have Iowa going 9-3 with a negative coaching adjustment of -1.5 so 7.5 wins.

We will be 7-5, 5-3 in the Big Ten.

Northern Illinois (L) 0-1, 0-0
Missouri State (W) 1-1, 0-0
@ Iowa State (L) 1-2, 0-0
Western Michigan (W) 2-2, 0-0
@ Minnesota (W) 3-2, 1-0
Michigan State (W) 4-2, 2-0
@ Ohio State (L) 4-3, 2-1
Northwestern (L) 4-4, 2-2
Wisconsin (W) 5-4, 3-2
@ Purdue (W) 6-4, 4-2
Michigan (W) 7-4, 5-2
@ Nebraska (L) 7-5, 5-3

We will defeat Arizona State in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl to finish 8-5.

A clear QB starter will cement himself during the first two Big Ten games. After the bye week and a couple hard fought lumps vs. Ohio State and Northwestern, we will emerge a rejuvenated program as November begins.

Northern Illinois (W)
Missouri State (W)
@ Iowa State (L) - Iowa State is always up for this game and Iowa's team will not have gelled yet.
Western Michigan (W)
@ Minnesota (W)
Michigan State (L) - It was close last year and I think Mich St's defense will be enough to stop the Hawks.
@ Ohio State (L) - Urban wants 'style' points to make it to the NCG so this could get ugly.
Northwestern (L) - NW just seems to have Iowa's number lately.
Wisconsin (W) New coach; Wisc will take a step (or two) back.
@ Purdue (W) New coach; same as Wisc.
Michigan (L) - Gardner will give them stability and their recruiting will start to kick in.
@ Nebraska (L) - NU's offense will be good and their young defense will have gotten better by this point.

6-6 with an appearance in a lower-tier bowl.

"....No. Ill - LOSS. Huskies struggle a bit with Iowa D, but get 13-17 pts on the board. Iowa can't keep up.
NWMSU - WIN. Much like UNI last year, Iowa has too much O and D and wins by 10.
ISU - LOSS. Road trip to a team that will sell all out to win "their biggest game of the year" - Questions?
WMU - WIN. Very close game, we decide to recover onside kicks and not commit PF penalties at inopportune times, that might say lose us the game."

Don't see Iowa losing to a Northern Illinois team that isn't as good as the team they fielded last year. Especially with Iowa being better this year. Iowa's defense is expected to be better. Not a lot but significantly enough to stop the Huskies. The offense slightly better.
Iowa State always a toss up with the home team winning most of the time (recently). Iowa State's defense has some big holes to fill with AJ and Jake gone. Look for the game to come down to the fourth quarter.
WMU. Don't see that one being close but Iowa (Kirk's teams) seems to play down to teams at times, particularly early in the year. Iowa wins by 10.
Any Iowa loss in these early games is very bad. It's doubtful that they can make it up later and still get to 6 wins or better.

HD,

I hope your view of the first four games is more accurate, that will mean that my prediction was "out to lunch" and thus the Hawks will have a far better season than I envisioned... Which would be way cool.
Even though I'm decidedly pessimistic going into this season, I still hope for the best.

Are you kidding me? Most Iowa fans would give their left nut for an 8-4 season.

well-we-re-waiting-o-s.gif

:cool:

N. Illinois- win
Mo. State- win
Iowa St- win
W. Michigan- win
Minny- win
Ohio St- loss
Mich St- loss
NW- loss
Wisky- loss
Purdue- win
Michigan- loss
Nebraska- loss

6-6 with the only game I don't see us having a chance in being tOSU, and the only game I don't see us having a chance of losing being Missouri State.

Well hot dog, I thought I had predicted 4-8. I feel much better about predicting 6-6. Missed the wins against Michigan and Nebraska.

Latest posts