Hey, X. Foster,

Can you imagine how insufferable Jamie Pollard would be if he could lure Hoiberg back to Ames? The ISU alumni would be showering him in praise and money. There was a reason why he was called the Mayor...Hoiberg owned Ames, Iowa.

There's no guarantee that Freddie would duplicate his previous success in Ames. He's 3-30 in his last two years of NCAA basketball and was .426 in the NBA. The "magic" may have worn off. He's also not the only guy playing the "find a transfer" game now so that gimmick doesn't have the pull it did.

BTW, Prohm's 5 year NCAA tourney performance at ISU almost mirrors Hoiberg's. Freddie had 1 more tourney win.

Regardless, the program has certainly crashed and burned over the last 2 years and I couldn't be more giddy about it.

Last edited:
There's no guarantee that Freddie would duplicate his previous success in Ames. He's 3-30 in his last two years of NCAA basketball and was .426 in the NBA. The "magic" may have worn off. He's also not the only guy playing the "find a transfer" game now so that gimmick doesn't have the pull it did.

BTW, Prohm's 5 year NCAA tourney performance at ISU almost mirrors Hoiberg's. Freddie had 1 more tourney win.

Regardless, the program has certainly crashed and burned over the last 2 years and I couldn't be more giddy about it.
Yes...all rational arguments. However, can I remind you who we are talking about here. Iowa State University...where delusions run deep. You say the name Hoiberg...and suddenly everyone needs an underwear change. Former player, former ambassador to MOO U.

At this point...Pollard's searching for his GOAT...as in the SCAPE variety.

Yes...all rational arguments. However, can I remind you who we are talking about here. Iowa State University...where delusions run deep. You say the name Hoiberg...and suddenly everyone needs an underwear change. Former player, former ambassador to MOO U.

At this point...Pollard's searching for his GOAT...as in the SCAPE variety.

Yep. This is a place where career .521 gets you a statue. Fred will probably get the arena renamed for him.

Shouldn't that almost be a prerequisite for D1 players over say 6'3? I mean you have to be athletic enough to do it. Maybe not in a game necessarily but unguarded they should have the ability to get up that high. (let alone 7'0 long armed guys with huge hands) Woody was so awkward in that regard.
I would think a D1 6'1 or taller should be able to dunk, if not necessarily in a game.

CJ was alone on a breakaway at the end of the Penn State game, but made the wise move (in regards to his foot) and chose to lay it in.

I've seen him dunk in pregame however. I'd bet JBo could dunk before the hip procedures. Hell I was 5'9 in college and was an average athlete at best and I could grab a pretty good piece of the rim. Of course I was also 165-175 lbs back then.

There is no way Jbo ever sniffed a dunk.
Well, Steve Alford could dunk. At 6'1 with hands all you need is a 30 or 31 inch vertical. Thats not to much to ask of a modern D1 athlete with everything at their disposal nowadays.

My daughter, who had a nice vertical herself at 5'10, played volleyball with a 5'7 middle blocker who had a 33 inch vertical and could touch the rim as well

I saw a 6/4" girl dunk a volleyball as a freshmen HS student. She can dunk a BB as a junior. Normally, tall girls are not athletic, this girl was lights out athletic. Side note; she was from Africa.

I saw a 6/4" girl dunk a volleyball as a freshmen HS student. She can dunk a BB as a junior. Normally, tall girls are not athletic, this girl was lights out athletic. Side note; she was from Africa.
Dunking by females has everything to do with the size of their hands. Yeah, height and vertical are important, too.

I grew up in NW Iowa and a cousin of mine played with Tammy Blackstone back in the 90s at Cherokee. She went on to play at Drake. She was 6'4 and could dunk easily. She put on a show in warmups. For small town 2A hoops she was a big deal at the time. I don't remember putting them down with 2 hands at all just the 1 using a girls ball. But still my 5'8 skinny ass never could come close. I could barely touch the bottom of the rim on my best day.

Senior year of high school I could dunk on a good day, not terribly reliably though. 6'0" but with 6'5" wing span. I think Woodbury has a bigger vertical than me now :(

Well, Steve Alford could dunk. At 6'1 with hands all you need is a 30 or 31 inch vertical. Thats not to much to ask of a modern D1 athlete with everything at their disposal nowadays.

My daughter, who had a nice vertical herself at 5'10, played volleyball with a 5'7 middle blocker who had a 33 inch vertical and could touch the rim as well
Dont kid yourself, despite what he is listed as in the program Jbo is not 6 feet tall.

Senior year of high school I could dunk on a good day, not terribly reliably though. 6'0" but with 6'5" wing span. I think Woodbury has a bigger vertical than me now :(
As I aged into my late 40s, my vertical disapeared. The most frustrating part was when you had a put back from under the rim roll off. In the good old days, i could just throw those down.

Dont kid yourself, despite what he is listed as in the program Jbo is not 6 feet tall.
Yeah he MIGHT be 6' with his shoes on but not a half inch higher. And I bet even on his best day he can't dunk. I've never seen him really explode off one leg before but I just don't get the impression between that and his hands that he could palm a ball enough to do it. You have to get 5 or 6 inches higher with your hand with control of the ball. I'd be impressed if he can but I highly doubt it

I always joked that with my vertical you might be able to slide the Hills, IA, phone book under my feet when I jumped.

Do we really care if a point guard who is not really a penetrator/slasher and is a 3-point shooter can dunk? JBo has a nice offensive game but dunking has never been a part of it, and he's still managed to get into the 1000 point club and is closing in on the career assist record.

i was just refuting an aassertion by a previous poster that he thought Jbo could dunk pre hip surgery. I dont care that he cant dunk, but i bet he cant, and never could.

As I aged into my late 40s, my vertical disapeared. The most frustrating part was when you had a put back from under the rim roll off. In the good old days, i could just throw those down.
At 5"10 3/4's (and white) I could easily reach/hang on the rim (had powerful legs, ran cross-country in H.S.) but my hands were just about a 1/2" too narrow to dunk. Always lost the ball on the way up. Damn.

Latest posts