Heartfelt congrats to ISU

Was Iowa ever actually confirmed to have interest? I don't remember seeing anything that solidly said Iowa was after him.

As for Gesell/Woody compared to Hoiberg's recruits, the results after they arrive on campus don't matter for the purposes of this discussion. Fran beat North Carolina to land Woody. He was highly touted, and ISU's success had no sway with him.

When there's so little direct competition, I guess I don't see the big deal if ISU has success. They can go after Thomas, we can go get Hutton. Without direct competition, ISU's success doesn't really hurt Iowa. We can go get equally good players elsewhere...or not, but if we can't get players that ISU isn't going after, that's a "me" problem for Fran, not Hoiberg's/ISU's fault.

I like the Hutton commit, but let's face it, he won't be on Iowa's team until the 2015-16 season, right? Even then, he'll be a freshman. Probably is going to take another year or two before he's ready to contribute at a high level. So 3-4 years from now, this might pay dividends. If Hoiberg lands Lee, he will be getting a guy that can play NOW.

As for Iowa never having confirmed interest.. I don't see why we shouldn't, and I have to say it boggles my mind a bit as to why Fran wouldn't be interested. I thought he even said himself that he would consider a transfer, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I do not like to cheer for the Clowns. However, I do like cheering for Fred. He is a class act and if ISU can somehow keep him they will be good for a long, long, time.

Some of it is luck too. It would be funny if next year Iowa hits 3-4 game wining shots as that is how things work out at times.
Amen, brother. One thing I have realized about Iowa sports (sans the Lick era) is that when Iowa is good, they're rarely as good as their record suggests and conversely, when they're bad, they're rarely as bad as their record suggests. When we got up to 10th in basketball this year, we weren't that good and most of us knew that deep down inside. When we hit the late game skid we weren't really that bad. In 2009, we had a really good football club, but the chips fell for us that year and we temporarily flirted with greatness. The chips didn't fall in 2010 with a pretty dang similar team, but we weren't as bad as our record indicated. Maybe this is true of college sports overall, but luck in executing those last few plays is a big factor and for Iowa, it really seems to come in spurts running both ways. It's maddening, but those magical seasons when it hits, well they keep me watching the games.

Was Iowa ever actually confirmed to have interest? I don't remember seeing anything that solidly said Iowa was after him.

As for Gesell/Woody compared to Hoiberg's recruits, the results after they arrive on campus don't matter for the purposes of this discussion. Fran beat North Carolina to land Woody. He was highly touted, and ISU's success had no sway with him.

When there's so little direct competition, I guess I don't see the big deal if ISU has success. They can go after Thomas, we can go get Hutton. Without direct competition, ISU's success doesn't really hurt Iowa. We can go get equally good players elsewhere...or not, but if we can't get players that ISU isn't going after, that's a "me" problem for Fran, not Hoiberg's/ISU's fault.

That's exactly my point. We landed Woodbury b/c he was a lifelong Hawk fan within state borders. I would bet my life we don't land him if say he was from Colorado and had no Iowa ties. Woody and Gesell, whatever way you want to slice it, don't match any of the 4 I listed. The other 4 were all rated higher (except for maybe one) than both Gesell and Woodbury. All (obviously not Custer) have performed better on the court than both Gesell and Woodbury.

I never said anything was Hoibergs fault. I'd love to have his team. The problem is we can't (we can but we aren't going to land any outside of Iowa borders) target those same guys (top 75 guys) and have a legit shot at them like Hoiberg does. That's all I'm trying to say. To get those kinds of good players consistently like Fred is doing you have to be good yourself. We're not good, and obviously not landing those types of commits. That doesn't mean the guys we're landing suck, but we're not going to get where Hawk fans want to be without improved recruiting. There is generally a pretty direct correlation between the talent ratings and wins. Obvioiusly there are exceptions, but we're not one. We play in too tough of a league to get by with avg talent.

That's exactly my point. We landed Woodbury b/c he was a lifelong Hawk fan within state borders. I would bet my life we don't land him if say he was from Colorado and had no Iowa ties. Woody and Gesell, whatever way you want to slice it, don't match any of the 4 I listed. The other 4 were all rated higher (except for maybe one) than both Gesell and Woodbury. All (obviously not Custer) have performed better on the court than both Gesell and Woodbury.

I never said anything was Hoibergs fault. I'd love to have his team. The problem is we can't (we can but we aren't going to land any outside of Iowa borders) target those same guys (top 75 guys) and have a legit shot at them like Hoiberg does. That's all I'm trying to say. To get those kinds of good players consistently like Fred is doing you have to be good yourself. We're not good, and obviously not landing those types of commits. That doesn't mean the guys we're landing suck, but we're not going to get where Hawk fans want to be without improved recruiting. There is generally a pretty direct correlation between the talent ratings and wins. Obvioiusly there are exceptions, but we're not one. We play in too tough of a league to get by with avg talent.

If Fred goes to the NBA, and ISU goes to sh!t, Iowa still has the same problems they have now, and are exactly what you said. They don't get Woodbury if he is from Colorado (even if ISU is good or bad). I mean think about what you are saying, that somehow is the SOLELY because ISU has been good the last couple years? It doesn't make sense, as Iowa isn't going to all of a sudden start pulling Michigan kids (Morris), Kansas kids (Custer), or other out of state kids just cause ISU is bad. I mean most out of state kids don't give a rip about Iowa vs ISU, and the lack of results on the recruiting trail are NOT because ISU is good.

If Fred goes to the NBA, and ISU goes to sh!t, Iowa still has the same problems they have now, and are exactly what you said. They don't get Woodbury if he is from Colorado (even if ISU is good or bad). I mean think about what you are saying, that somehow is the SOLELY because ISU has been good the last couple years? It doesn't make sense, as Iowa isn't going to all of a sudden start pulling Michigan kids (Morris), Kansas kids (Custer), or other out of state kids just cause ISU is bad. I mean most out of state kids don't give a rip about Iowa vs ISU, and the lack of results on the recruiting trail are NOT because ISU is good.

This.

How can Iowa even compete with this on the recruiting trail?:)

[video=youtube;Qe8zp9C-1pw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe8zp9C-1pw[/video]

Yep, and had Marble played clutch in the other 30+ minutes of the game he was in, Iowa would have won by 10.

bull ****.... if this is the case, how many games did we have that White, Uthoff, Mike, McCabe, Basabe and Olaseni NOT step up?

Pisses me off people want to call out the 1 player that was actually consistent over the year. Dude had maybe 2 bad games while everybody else was coming and going and playing a disappearing act.

bull ****.... if this is the case, how many games did we have that White, Uthoff, Mike, McCabe, Basabe and Olaseni NOT step up?

Pisses me off people want to call out the 1 player that was actually consistent over the year. Dude had maybe 2 bad games while everybody else was coming and going and playing a disappearing act.
**DDThompson really likes this**

Dead on, iba, dead on. The complaining against Marble is over the top. I wonder if MSU fans botch about a first team all-B1G player like Hawks fans have been.

**DDThompson likes this**

STOP your madness!
Face it, you're not a true Hawk fan if you don't hate the Cyclones.

Yep, and had Marble played clutch in the other 30+ minutes of the game he was in, Iowa would have won by 10.

You do realize that he had the flu and had thrown up pretty much everything he ate that day. Kind of hard to perform at top level when you are sick. MJ could do it but he was a true freak of nature.

I do enjoy it when ANY team from Iowa moves on in ANY tournament. I root for Iowa, Iowa State, UNI and Drake. I also root for the DII and DIII schools as well as the NAIA schools in DI and DII in Iowa. I root for all of them in football, basketball and baseball. I follow all the sports at all the schools. My first choice will always be Wartburg and my second choice will always be Iowa. I attend games at all levels regularly.

I just don't understand the hate towards Iowa State from Iowa fans. Nor do I understand the hate towards Iowa from Iowa State fans. I understand rooting FOR your team, but rooting against your rival when your rival is playing another team? I don't get that.

I am not, nor have I ever said, that Iowa's struggles on the recruiting trail are due solely to Iowa State. That's absurd and not at all what I said. I am saying success for Iowa State makes it/will make it harder for Iowa to recruit against them for both in-state kids and out of state kids.

I do enjoy it when ANY team from Iowa moves on in ANY tournament. I root for Iowa, Iowa State, UNI and Drake. I also root for the DII and DIII schools as well as the NAIA schools in DI and DII in Iowa. I root for all of them in football, basketball and baseball. I follow all the sports at all the schools. My first choice will always be Wartburg and my second choice will always be Iowa. I attend games at all levels regularly.

I just don't understand the hate towards Iowa State from Iowa fans. Nor do I understand the hate towards Iowa from Iowa State fans. I understand rooting FOR your team, but rooting against your rival when your rival is playing another team? I don't get that.

I get what your saying. But if lived in central Iowa I think I would have more issue with ISU(actually more the fans than the players, teams, coaches, etc). Such is the nature of rivals, especially instate rivals. Fans chirp, incite, flame, and in general they are the source of the "hate". Add in the local media's and their bias....fury.

Heck, we have our very own fans that we likely wouldn't claim, our own fans, imagine if they were Clone/nebby fans....fury

I live in Omaha and outside of the extremely rare exception, I want nebby to lose every time, in every sport....its more due to the delusional fans and incessant media, than actual disdain for the teams.

Even with my contempt for all things "sker", I can still appreciate certain coaches, players, etc by how they go about things.....recent examples are Burkhead, Kenny Bell, Tim Miles.

I hope the Hawks crush them all though :)

I am not, nor have I ever said, that Iowa's struggles on the recruiting trail are due solely to Iowa State. That's absurd and not at all what I said. I am saying success for Iowa State makes it/will make it harder for Iowa to recruit against them for both in-state kids and out of state kids.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. This exact thing can be said of every conference opponent, or any other school that we ever recruit against. Schools have to offer something to these kids, and recent success is short lived, and fleeting. If you aren't competing against a blue blood, I just don't think that one or two years of success is that big of hurdle to overcome in recruiting. If it was the case the Dickerson goes to Nebraska, Hutton goes to Wisconsin. One with more recent and quick success, the other with 15 years of success.

I don't think I can take much more of this Hoiberg lovefest. They have a better coach, fans and media need to move on and start talking football.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. This exact thing can be said of every conference opponent, or any other school that we ever recruit against. Schools have to offer something to these kids, and recent success is short lived, and fleeting. If you aren't competing against a blue blood, I just don't think that one or two years of success is that big of hurdle to overcome in recruiting. If it was the case the Dickerson goes to Nebraska, Hutton goes to Wisconsin. One with more recent and quick success, the other with 15 years of success.

Probably a good idea :D I feel like ISU is well on their way to becoming a blue blood, as painful as it is to say. Will just leave it at that.

Latest posts