Hawks to Host a Wrestling Duel at Kinnick: Will Set Attendence Record

iowalaw

Banned
The Hawkeye wrestling team, which will likely be ranked in the top 3 in the nation, will be hosting an outdoor wrestling meet at Kinnick stadium in mid NOVEMBER, prior to the Minnesota game. The foe will not be Minnesota, and may end up being Oklahoma State. This is an awesome concept...very innovative. It is also huge because Penn State recently surpassed Iowa's dual meet attendance record by 1 person, and a meet at Kinnick would likely destroy the record.

I commend the administration for FINALLY starting to think outside the box to promote our athletic programs. Barta has taken a lot of flack over the years, and often for good reason, but this is a great idea (although I have to wonder why they wouldn't do this earlier in the year? Perhaps the new associate AD (or whatever his title is) who came over from North Dakota, came up with the innovation. In any event, this will be pretty cool.

I think this is still in the investigation phase, if you will. They are going to discuss it.

Regular season competition begins in late October so there most likely aren't any high ranked opponents coming until OK St or someone else. They would want a highly ranked opponent. IA vs Ball St wouldn't cut it.

Should be about 38 degrees that day. Maybe they will be allowed to wear underarmour warmers for the meet. Otherwise yikes! İ love this idea btw

Like the idea. We'll have to see if it gets traction and actually works out. Gonna suck for those wrestlers, though...

I think this is still in the investigation phase, if you will. They are going to discuss it.

Regular season competition begins in late October so there most likely aren't any high ranked opponents coming until OK St or someone else. They would want a highly ranked opponent. IA vs Ball St wouldn't cut it.

The wrestling twitter account tweeted a very telling hint, so it appears like its going to happen. There is a presser next week to announce the season's schedule, and this meet is expected to be announced.

PSU and OSU are not wrestling Iowa on the B1G schedule, so there is a lot of speculation that one of those two will be the opponent in a non-conf meet. Iowa wrestled PSU in a non-conf meet last year.

I would love this, but the risk of injury wrestling in 30 degree weather could ruin a season. That's the only thing that would give me pause about it.

Properly clothed and provided that the mat will still cushion adequately, I can't imagine that weather around 35 degrees would be that bad if the wrestlers can be adequately warmed up prior to going outside.
Would be a lot less jarring and injury prone than cold weather football.

For the first time in my lifetime the Iowa Athletic Dept. does something imaginative, creative and outside the box. Kudos. Let's hope the next idea comes a little faster.

*tip of the hat to the athletics department*

This is a home run; and I'm beyond excited.

*tip of the hat to the athletics department*

This is a home run; and I'm beyond excited.
I think it is way too early...who is going to show up? The whole "ooooooh its gonna be sooooo cold" argument is just plain silly. That same day we will sleeveless football players. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling knows that wrestlers warm up to a profuse sweat for their match. A 9 minute match. Its not like they are going to be exposed to subzero temps for hours. Good grief..I LOVE the idea...but it seems 11 AM is far too early unless they have some sort of free admission then exit back to tailgates policy.

I think it is way too early...who is going to show up? The whole "ooooooh its gonna be sooooo cold" argument is just plain silly. That same day we will sleeveless football players. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling knows that wrestlers warm up to a profuse sweat for their match. A 9 minute match. Its not like they are going to be exposed to subzero temps for hours. Good grief..I LOVE the idea...but it seems 11 AM is far too early unless they have some sort of free admission then exit back to tailgates policy.

Tickets for the wrestling are separate than the football game tickets

Latest posts