Hawks Have stolen Clones Thunder

longtimer

All we heard at the beginning of the year was how great the Clones would be and the good chance they would take it all. Frankly they deserved the accolades and in fact have enough talent to still make a run at the final four. There doesn't seem to be a great team this year.
But most of the big news (with the exception of the Des Moines Register's Peterson who is more of an Iowa State PR person than reporter) is coming from Iowa City. When the polls come out a likely top 3 ranking and if we could win Thursday ? Of course cover of Sports Illustrated which we havent been On since George Peeples (one of my all time favorites) just before we got beat by Texas Western who then went on to beat Kentucky for the NC
What a fun year. I just hope that as One of the guys on the Big Ten Network alluded to that we have been playing so well have we peaked too early?? I think with this experience not but we shall see.

This is absolutely killing Clown fans, so much so that the trolls won't even show up around here. Heck even the good Clown posters like BryceC won't poke their heads around here anymore.

clowz: anything less than final four disappointment.....

remember what dreamy boy fred said when he was leaving last year? nothing like setting up the new guy to fail, and quite the thing to say when you were bounced from the tourney in the first round....couldn't happen to a nicer group.

I still root for the clones since them winning helps Iowa, and since ISU can't play in Des Moines anyway. ISU wins are only positives for the Hawkeyes.

However, when they lose or have McKay drama issues, I'm hardly sad about it :cool:

Peaking too early...I view this as a team playing at a very high level without room for improvement. Other teams improve and close the gap or pass a team by. It looks like the team "peaked too early." But I think the team hit their high point while others improved.

With the experience in Iowa's starting lineup this could be reason for concern. Can they really get much better? But our bench is young and inexperienced. I think Uhl, Ellingson, Baer and most of all Wagner can and will improve. So I don't think this team has peaked.

I also feel like this team was playing at about a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 when conference play started...something to prove, a chip on their shoulder, must win early games, etc. I sense that they are still very focused but (the starters especially) have backed off just a bit and are playing at about an 8 against some of the weaker competition. I think we will see them back at the 9 level for the conference tournament and games like Indiana and Michigan. But I think (hope) Iowa's 10 level is going to come out over a 6 game stretch in the NCAA Tournament.

I still root for the clones since them winning helps Iowa, and since ISU can't play in Des Moines anyway. ISU wins are only positives for the Hawkeyes.

However, when they lose or have McKay drama issues, I'm hardly sad about it :cool:

Why can't the Clowns play in Des Moines?

If both kansas and iowa end up in des moines...it will be one crazy location. I went to the Bahamas with iowa a couple years ago and the Kansas fans travel like crazy.

They are the host team, so they can't play at that arena.

I think this is incorrect. I can find nothing that prevents the host team from playing at the site it hosts.

The only rule I can find concerns neutral courts. Teams are prohibited from playing tournament games on their home courts prior to the Final Four (though in some cases, a team may be fortunate enough to play in or near its home state or city). By current NCAA rules, any court on which a team hosts more than three regular-season games (in other words, not including conference tournament games) is considered a "home court".[SUP][/SUP] The exception to this rule is the University of Dayton, which would be allowed to play a game in the "First Four" round in their home arena[SUP][/SUP] as they did in 2015.

Peaking too early...I view this as a team playing at a very high level without room for improvement. Other teams improve and close the gap or pass a team by. It looks like the team "peaked too early." But I think the team hit their high point while others improved.

With the experience in Iowa's starting lineup this could be reason for concern. Can they really get much better? But our bench is young and inexperienced. I think Uhl, Ellingson, Baer and most of all Wagner can and will improve. So I don't think this team has peaked.

I also feel like this team was playing at about a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 when conference play started...something to prove, a chip on their shoulder, must win early games, etc. I sense that they are still very focused but (the starters especially) have backed off just a bit and are playing at about an 8 against some of the weaker competition. I think we will see them back at the 9 level for the conference tournament and games like Indiana and Michigan. But I think (hope) Iowa's 10 level is going to come out over a 6 game stretch in the NCAA Tournament.

Interesting perspective. Were there signs of the 2014 end-of-season implosion that we should be looking for this year?

I think this is incorrect. I can find nothing that prevents the host team from playing at the site it hosts.

The only rule I can find concerns neutral courts. Teams are prohibited from playing tournament games on their home courts prior to the Final Four (though in some cases, a team may be fortunate enough to play in or near its home state or city). By current NCAA rules, any court on which a team hosts more than three regular-season games (in other words, not including conference tournament games) is considered a "home court". The exception to this rule is the University of Dayton, which would be allowed to play a game in the "First Four" round in their home arena as they did in 2015.

I remember during the preseason ISU fans were super bitter that UNI or Drake didn't step up to be the host site so that ISU could play in Des Moines. From what I remember, Des Moines had previously bid to be a host site, but because it was Drake that was bidding, it was denied. I think Iowa State being the host school for the bid brought some clout to the bid and the hope is that in the future Drake can be viewed as a host instead of Iowa State.

Here's a snippet about ISU not being able to play there:

DES MOINES, Iowa - Des Moines has been selected to host the first and second rounds of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament at Wells Fargo Arena on March 17 & 19 in 2016. Iowa State, as the host school, will not be allowed to play at the Des Moines site.

I should have added that since Iowa State is considered the host school, their season ticket holders get all the priority on the tickets and I believe Iowa State gets a large chunk of the money as well. I'm not sure how that will all play out if Iowa and/or Kansas play in Des Moines :)

Either there will be a lot of McDonalds employees in the stands booing Iowa and Kansas, or McDonalds employees will profit heavily at the expense of their rivals.

I should have added that since Iowa State is considered the host school, their season ticket holders get all the priority on the tickets and I believe Iowa State gets a large chunk of the money as well. I'm not sure how that will all play out if Iowa and/or Kansas play in Des Moines :)

Either there will be a lot of McDonalds employees in the stands booing Iowa and Kansas, or McDonalds employees will profit heavily at the expense of their rivals.

Do you get joy in insulting McDonalds employees like that? :)

and once again Hawkeye fans will be responsible for keeping the ISU athletic department out of the red. I love the thought of the envious Mr Pollard being dependent upon us.

This is absolutely killing Clown fans, so much so that the trolls won't even show up around here. Heck even the good Clown posters like BryceC won't poke their heads around here anymore.

I pop in from time to time. I gave up all social media and am on the boards rarely. I do think the Hawks are having an awesome year, def proved me wrong, and yes some clones are certainly having trouble with that.

I get so irritated by clown fans annointing ISU as a basketball school. They are NOT a basketball school. Duke, Indiana, UNC, UCLA, Kansas and Kentucky are basketball schools. Iowa state is a school with a basketball team. Historically Iowa has just as much and actually more basketball tradition then ISU.

Dispense with the Hilton Magic and Larry eustachy Magic. Nauseating.

I pop in from time to time. I gave up all social media and am on the boards rarely. I do think the Hawks are having an awesome year, def proved me wrong, and yes some clones are certainly having trouble with that.

We really need to get ForeverIowan unbanned, I bet he is freaking going nuts. I'd also bet CyTwins is besides himself. I told him that Peter Jok was gonna be a good player, and that we were getting a top 50 type player. He mocked me and mocked Jok calling him a Mid Major player all the time, but as per usual that d!pshit was wrong.

Also I told you two years ago Freddie was screwing you guys recruiting wise, you disagreed, but you gotta admit that Fred really dropped the ball recruiting wise.

Latest posts