Hawkeyes in Mix for 5th Year Forward from Tample?

Did Gamble or Barnes spit on an opposing fan? Steal from a dorm room? Get kicked off a team for smoking too much weed? Did either lead the NCAA in technical fouls?

I always thought that bringing that many guys like that would blow up in Hoiberg's face, but he seems to have done a pretty good job of bringing guys in and keeping them in line and focused on basketball.

Uthoff, Gabe, White, Woody and Uhl will be a front line with which you can find a way to succeed.

MG, Jok, JO, Sapp and Ellingson is not a backcourt with which you can succeed.

So, Let's HOPE DICKERSON IS THE KEY!

MG has no penetration scoring ability or entry pass ability. He is an off-the-bench high energy combo guard - Think Vinny Johnson.

Jok's bball IQ is way too low. Who knows if he will ever develop, but he is so far away that thinking it can happen next year is not realistic.

JO is a decent #4 in the backcourt rotation. Bring him in and if he doesn't hit his first shot. Turn off the green light, put on the red and tell him to play decent D and not turn the ball over to give your first three guards a rest.

Sapp plays the position the MG should play, Sapp should play it at a non-major level.

Ellingson is a JO replicant. If he is better than JO, he makes JO expendable. If not, he is redundant and should probably be redshirted.

Seriously, if there is a one and done he desperately needs to be backcourt! Dickerson and a true physical scoring 2 would be great. Then let MG come off the bench and create havoc by going 150% for brief stretches.

Saying Jok's BB IQ is low is one of the sillier things I think I have seen you spew on the boards lately and you couldn't be further from the truth.

Saying Jok's BB IQ is low is one of the sillier things I think I have seen you spew on the boards lately and you couldn't be further from the truth.

So players with a high basketball IQ jack up forced shots all over the place and get burnt on D? Explain your logic.

Did Gamble or Barnes spit on an opposing fan? Steal from a dorm room? Get kicked off a team for smoking too much weed? Did either lead the NCAA in technical fouls?

And what has happened since these guys have gotten on campus? I can't believe this is even still an issue for some people. It seems like the guys Fred really needs to watch out for are former walk-ons from Ames and the only guy with tech and behavior problems is the conf POY and former scholar athlete of the year with a 3.7 GPA.

So players with a high basketball IQ jack up forced shots all over the place and get burnt on D? Explain your logic.

Ye cause all he does is force jacked up shots all over the place...I think you must be mistaking him for marble.

Damn Jon, that Oklahoma drawl starting to take over your writing? I can see you southern boys referring to Temple as Tample.

And what has happened since these guys have gotten on campus? I can't believe this is even still an issue for some people. It seems like the guys Fred really needs to watch out for are former walk-ons from Ames and the only guy with tech and behavior problems is the conf POY and former scholar athlete of the year with a 3.7 GPA.

Give it up Bryce, people will spin things to try and prove a point not matter how wrong, and hide behind ethics that fit their agenda.

The funny part of his comments, he seems to associate technical fouls with being a thug. Lots of irony there..

Last edited:
Uthoff, Gabe, White, Woody and Uhl will be a front line with which you can find a way to succeed.

MG, Jok, JO, Sapp and Ellingson is not a backcourt with which you can succeed.

So, Let's HOPE DICKERSON IS THE KEY!

MG has no penetration scoring ability or entry pass ability. He is an off-the-bench high energy combo guard - Think Vinny Johnson.

Jok's bball IQ is way too low. Who knows if he will ever develop, but he is so far away that thinking it can happen next year is not realistic.

JO is a decent #4 in the backcourt rotation. Bring him in and if he doesn't hit his first shot. Turn off the green light, put on the red and tell him to play decent D and not turn the ball over to give your first three guards a rest.

Sapp plays the position the MG should play, Sapp should play it at a non-major level.

Ellingson is a JO replicant. If he is better than JO, he makes JO expendable. If not, he is redundant and should probably be redshirted.

Seriously, if there is a one and done he desperately needs to be backcourt! Dickerson and a true physical scoring 2 would be great. Then let MG come off the bench and create havoc by going 150% for brief stretches.

Saying Ellingson is a JO replicant is too simplistic. It's another "oh, they're both white guys who are shooters so they must be the same". We won't know anything until we see BE at this level. From the video I've seen from him his shot looks smoother than JO's but I say that with a grain of salt because it's just a brief video.

Someone said Jok's a freshman and makes freshman-type mistakes. Those mental lapses are correctable and he'll likely be coached up on those. Not sure he's quick enough with his footwork and that might concern me more. Still, he's likely to get a lot better overall.

MG does have some ability to penetrate a defense, though he isn't outstanding at it. He's a pretty solid B guard on an A-F scale.

TD looks good on video but again, that's not the same as seeing him in live action on this level.

I think Fran's one transfer away from at least having this team in the conversation for an NCAA bid next year, but that's just message board guy talking.

So you're just going to pretend Kane didn't try to gouge some kid's eyes out? He was deservedly ejected from that game. But great point, Fred doesn't just transfer in thugs, he recruits them.

Give it up Bryce, people will spin things to try and prove a point not matter how wrong, and hide behind ethics that fit their agenda.

The funny part of his comments, he seems to associate technical fouls with being a thug. Lots of irony there..

lol at spinning things. It says a lot when simply telling the truth is a damning indictment of ISU's players.

Normally I'm all for finding good basketball players and worrying about positions later, but I don't want to see too many more minutes from Uthoff or White at the 3. Let those guys dominate the minutes at power forward.

So you're just going to pretend Kane didn't try to gouge some kid's eyes out? He was deservedly ejected from that game. But great point, Fred doesn't just transfer in thugs, he recruits them.

frabz-oh-no-he-dint-40a89e.jpg

Saying Ellingson is a JO replicant is too simplistic. It's another "oh, they're both white guys who are shooters so they must be the same". We won't know anything until we see BE at this level. From the video I've seen from him his shot looks smoother than JO's but I say that with a grain of salt because it's just a brief video.

Someone said Jok's a freshman and makes freshman-type mistakes. Those mental lapses are correctable and he'll likely be coached up on those. Not sure he's quick enough with his footwork and that might concern me more. Still, he's likely to get a lot better overall.

MG does have some ability to penetrate a defense, though he isn't outstanding at it. He's a pretty solid B guard on an A-F scale.

TD looks good on video but again, that's not the same as seeing him in live action on this level.

I think Fran's one transfer away from at least having this team in the conversation for an NCAA bid next year, but that's just message board guy talking.

I don't even think we need another transfer. With the way this team is currently built, I fully expect to be back in the NCAA next year too. We played one of the toughest B10 schedules this year, and with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland next year, it is almost guaranteed that we will have an easier road. The B10 is losing a lot of talent next year, I see the conference as a whole taking a step backwards next season. We do lose some key contributors, but we didn't take a step backwards when we lost Matt Gatens two years ago and I don't expect us to now that we lose Marble.

Also, despite what a lot of the vocal minority of the fan base think, Fran is still a really good coach. I don't think the end to this year will carry over to next year. He'll adjust and have the team ready to finish in the upper half of the B10 for the third straight year.

The key to next year is Woody and Gabe. I think they will only have to improve a little to help us a lot. They are both players that stop themselves more than the defense stops them. Guys like them are hard to stop otherwise. If they get just a little better at post moves they could darn near double their production.

Latest posts