Hawkeyes Believe Offense Close to Breaking Through

Trust me. I know he's going to be in Iowa City a while. But the facts are the facts.

Luckily I live out of state and have several options to follow and I do on any given Saturday. I even flipped back and forth between ISU and the Iowa game. Can tell you directly ISU is so much more fun to watch it's not even close.

But growing up an Iowa fan they'll always be #1 for me regardless of the coach. He will not dictate my allegiance.

I've been an Iowa fan MUCH longer than KF's been there, so I reserve the right to call his philosophy what it is and it's boring and now delusional.

ISU scored 14 points and had 255 total yards of offense vs TCU. Only a Clown troll would say that is much more fun to watch.

ISU scored 14 points and had 255 total yards of offense vs TCU. Only a Clown troll would say that is much more fun to watch.

OMG Dean, I've been on this site for years now. Just changed my name in the past few years.

You can't say with a straight face that Iowa is fun to watch. I'm not an ISU fan either. I am a Matt Campbell fan though. He doesn't coach like it's 1975.

Give me the Iowa players and Matt Campbell as coach and I'd be happy as can be. Win or lose, it'd be fun to watch.

OMG Dean, I've been on this site for years now. Just changed my name in the past few years.

You can't say with a straight face that Iowa is fun to watch. I'm not an ISU fan either. I am a Matt Campbell fan though. He doesn't coach like it's 1975.

Give me the Iowa players and Matt Campbell as coach and I'd be happy as can be. Win or lose, it'd be fun to watch.

I know you aren’t a Clown fan/troll. Just pretty stupid to call the ISU vs TCU game as ISU playing a “fun style”. That game made B1G football look exciting. Winning 14-7 while gaining 255 yards if more KF than even KF can pull off.

they showed that once they got the lead they had to revert to "the process" "who we are" "pound into the line" for nothing.... instead of trying to extend the lead.

the most boring time for an Iowa football fan is when Iowa has a 7 point lead against a team like Minny or Purdue.

I know you aren’t a Clown fan/troll. Just pretty stupid to call the ISU vs TCU game as ISU playing a “fun style”. That game made B1G football look exciting. Winning 14-7 while gaining 255 yards if more KF than even KF can pull off.

Don't think I said that particular game was exciting. Iowa States style of play as a whole is though. Or more precisely, Matt Campbell's philosophy is more exciting than KF's is.

Four offensive coaches either new to the program or in different positions, 2 starting freshmen tackles, mental mistakes and a new starting QB. This adds up to an inconsistent offense trying to find its way. I doubt we will see a big break through this year. Maybe next year then the new staff gets settled in and the younger players gain experience. I do like what see but it will just take time for the offense to jell, but we are running out of time for this year.

Don't think I said that particular game was exciting. Iowa States style of play as a whole is though. Or more precisely, Matt Campbell's philosophy is more exciting than KF's is.

I wouldn't have replied if you didn't make it seem like you were talking about this Saturdays game for ISU is why they are more exciting

I even flipped back and forth between ISU and the Iowa game. Can tell you directly ISU is so much more fun to watch it's not even close.

Campbell is winning with defense and turnover margin, sound familiar? As a matter of fact ISU is #8 in the nation in turnover margin. They aren't out playing teams, they are just out turnovering teams. For instance ISU hasn't won the TO battle in two games......yep vs Iowa and Texas. In ISU 6 wins they are +12 in TO margin. When you average +2 in TO margin in games, you win 99% of games. Turnovers are a very fickle things, and I doubt they remain being the beneficiaries of so many TO the rest of the season.

they showed that once they got the lead they had to revert to "the process" "who we are" "pound into the line" for nothing.... instead of trying to extend the lead.

the most boring time for an Iowa football fan is when Iowa has a 7 point lead against a team like Minny or Purdue.

I noticed a subtle difference. Recall that on IA second possession, Brian went for the kill, the well-thrown pass bounced off the receiver's face mask, and was "intercepted" by the Gophers. After that, the offense went plain vanilla.

My point is that Iowa's claim to fame is the quality of our OL. However, I believe the quality of our OL talent seems to have fallen off in the last two years (and I don't think I'm alone on this).
My second point is that BF as Head OL coach from 2012-2016 would appear to be responsible for this fall off in recruiting and/or development.
Iowa’s “claim to fame” is more than the quality of the OL. KF has been posited as the OL guru. Iowa has put nearly as many DL, LB, DE, and TE in the NFL as OL.

But I thought your original point was not having B1G OT talent. Right?

If you’re expanding to OL talent then fine, that’s legit since he was the OL coach not just the OT coach.

If you’re using 1st and 2nd All-B1G team selection as your evidence to show slippage then I would say it sounds like your stat shopping and have given up your original point of B1G level talent and moved to All-Conference level talent.

As for 2016: Croston was All-Conference.
And the Iowa OL unit earned Moore Award for the nation’s best OL.

“SCHawkeye2” said:
How many members of the 2017 Iowa OL (BF's 'second' group of recruits) will be on this years all B10 All Conf team?
I don’t know. Welsh? Daniels?

But I already stated that Boettger and Myers could have very well been All-Conferencewhen your point was just about tackles— if not for injuries. But you stated that was not an “anointment” just because I said so, right? So why ask again?

Do you think think Welsh and Daniels are B1G level talent?

How many members of the 2018 and 2019 OL units will be on the all-conference teams?

Four offensive coaches either new to the program or in different positions, 2 starting freshmen tackles, mental mistakes and a new starting QB. This adds up to an inconsistent offense trying to find its way. I doubt we will see a big break through this year. Maybe next year then the new staff gets settled in and the younger players gain experience. I do like what see but it will just take time for the offense to jell, but we are running out of time for this year.

One of those coaches is coaching the Oline, when he is an OC. The OC simply shouldn't have the job he has as he is completely unqualified. The B1G isn't where you get on the job training to be an OC, well I guess at Iowa it is. Every team has injuries that is why recruiting is so important. Poor recruiting leads to playing freshmen when a senior goes down. As far as our offense breaking through, not gonna happen with the talent we have at receiver. Sure, players will be a year older, just like Young, Falconer, etc. are this year, but that doesn't mean they will be any better. This is what happens when you recruit MAC level talent at the skill positions as the ceiling is only so high. Next year will be the same bullshit excuses as this year, and the year after that it will be the same thing. Iowa is the eternally young team.

I wouldn't have replied if you didn't make it seem like you were talking about this Saturdays game for ISU is why they are more exciting

Campbell is winning with defense and turnover margin, sound familiar? As a matter of fact ISU is #8 in the nation in turnover margin. They aren't out playing teams, they are just out turnovering teams. For instance ISU hasn't won the TO battle in two games......yep vs Iowa and Texas. In ISU 6 wins they are +12 in TO margin. When you average +2 in TO margin in games, you win 99% of games. Turnovers are a very fickle things, and I doubt they remain being the beneficiaries of so many TO the rest of the season.

The ISU game was more exciting is all I was saying and their style of play is more exciting. It's not hard to be more exciting than Iowa though.

The ISU game was more exciting is all I was saying and their style of play is more exciting. It's not hard to be more exciting than Iowa though.

That crappy TCU vs ISU game was only exciting if you were a ISU fan. That game made B1G football look like Arena football.

One of those coaches is coaching the Oline, when he is an OC. The OC simply shouldn't have the job he has as he is completely unqualified. The B1G isn't where you get on the job training to be an OC, well I guess at Iowa it is. Every team has injuries that is why recruiting is so important. Poor recruiting leads to playing freshmen when a senior goes down. As far as our offense breaking through, not gonna happen with the talent we have at receiver. Sure, players will be a year older, just like Young, Falconer, etc. are this year, but that doesn't mean they will be any better. This is what happens when you recruit MAC level talent at the skill positions as the ceiling is only so high. Next year will be the same bullshit excuses as this year, and the year after that it will be the same thing. Iowa is the eternally young team.
I'll give you most of your points, and although I disagree with Brian being the wrong guy (for now), you do also have a point with his lack of resume.

But there is MAYBE 3 or 4 teams in all of college football that can lose two three-year starters at OT, replace them with a RSFR and a TRFR and still not have a noticeable drop off in OL play. It's not a recruiting failure either, considering Jackson was a high 3-star as a raw player with a high upside, and Wirfs being a unanimous 4-star and an Army All-American.

OL play not only relies on the players, but on the chemistry of the group as well. Communication is key on passing off rushers and on who climbs to the LB/S off of a double team. AJ and TW may be more physically talented than Boettger and Myers ever were, but they don't have the rapport with Daniels, Welsh, and Render/Reynolds that the older guys did, at least not yet. They'll get there, but we're seeing the growing pains right now.

That crappy TCU vs ISU game was only exciting if you were a ISU fan. That game made B1G football look like Arena football.

So you watched it as well!

Here's how I see ISU, this year only. They held a TCU team averaging 37 points and ranked in the top five to 7 points and scored enough to win.

A few weeks earlier they beat another top five team, Oklahoma on the road, in a high scoring shootout.

Iowa, under KF, will not beat a top five program in a shootout.

As I've said in another thread. Give me Matt Campbell and the Iowa roster. It'd be so much more fund to watch.

Have a good evening. I'm as bored with you as I am with KF!

Here's how I see ISU, this year only. They held a TCU team averaging 37 points and ranked in the top five to 7 points and scored enough to win.

A few weeks earlier they beat another top five team, Oklahoma on the road, in a high scoring shootout.

As I've said in another thread. Give me Matt Campbell and the Iowa roster. It'd be so much more fund to watch.

You have a good evening too. Go root for the Clones, seems like you prefer them to Iowa.

I'll give you most of your points, and although I disagree with Brian being the wrong guy (for now), you do also have a point with his lack of resume.

But there is MAYBE 3 or 4 teams in all of college football that can lose two three-year starters at OT, replace them with a RSFR and a TRFR and still not have a noticeable drop off in OL play. It's not a recruiting failure either, considering Jackson was a high 3-star as a raw player with a high upside, and Wirfs being a unanimous 4-star and an Army All-American.

OL play not only relies on the players, but on the chemistry of the group as well. Communication is key on passing off rushers and on who climbs to the LB/S off of a double team. AJ and TW may be more physically talented than Boettger and Myers ever were, but they don't have the rapport with Daniels, Welsh, and Render/Reynolds that the older guys did, at least not yet. They'll get there, but we're seeing the growing pains right now.
It is a recruiting failure when you have to replace 3 yr starters with FR at OT. where are the JRs, and SRs that should be on the roster at Tackle? We have injuries on the OL every year. This year is not much different. We don't have any upperclassmen depth at the position. That's a recruiting failure to some extent.

Dean is a tool.

Latest posts