Hawkeyenation podcast

fair enough. It felt to me like the Hawks escaped. When they had to punt to ISU with over a minute left and them only needing a.field goal i was not feeling good.

They did escape. But it's the Hawkeye nation podcast. Not the Cyclone/Michigan/Iowa exiles perspective podcast.

fair enough. It felt to me like the Hawks escaped. When they had to punt to ISU with over a minute left and them only needing a.field goal i was not feeling good.

Just curious, why do you think they "escaped"? I would agree if we were talking about Rhoads or Chiz's 4 win ISU teams. This is a quality win over a quality opponent. To say Iowa "escaped" to me anyway means that we barely got by a super inferior team. This was a game where ever last intangible favored ISU. Game day to ramp up the crowd and a national featured game all week to ramp up the ISU team. The weather delays in an opponents stadium. A super aggressive and hostile opponents crowd. A super sloppy natural grass field that they are not used to playing on. To me it was a hard fought, but super impressive win.

I know what you are getting at, but there was a lot to be impressed by in how Iowa outlasted ISU in this marathon of an emotional game.

Deace missed an opportunity to really talk about why Iowa won this game despite a significant yards per play differential.

Through 3 games, the Iowa defense is playing 52.7 plays per game. Against Iowa St., they were only out there for 55 plays. The few amount of plays is 3rd in the nation (Navy @ 52 and Wisconsin at 52.5).

The offense is humming in the low 70s for plays. So even though the yards per play differential was very wacky, the advantage was mitigated largely due to the lack of plays executed by Iowa St.

Though it’s not the only reason for stats like sacks and turnovers being lower, the small volume of plays is a contributing factor. The defense is giving up .196 points per play (13th in nation), but that number is really sick given the fact that the defense isn’t playing much.

On an aside, I’m super concerned on DL depth. There is going to be some games where Iowa plays 70 plays on defense and I very concerned about the Hawkeyes conditioning for those games.

Latest posts