Hawkeyenation podcast

deanvogs

Man is their analysis just horrible about the Iowa vs ISU game. ISU had two big plays and then did nothing offensively the rest of the night. 2 plays for 124 yards and 2 TD's. Outside of that they ran only 52 plays for 294 yards and 3 points. ISU's defensive coordinator Heacock says that yards given up mean nothing, look at red zone defense (ISU got into the red zone 1 time and scored 3 points). Also he says look at 3rd down conversions (ISU was 3 of 9). ISU is lucky they got 2 big plays, otherwise this is just another Iowa drubbing of ISU.

Steve Deace typically has a pretty good analysis, but statistics and analytics aside, he most certainly does have a disdain for the Iowa Football program given his backhanded compliments. This is probably a combination of him being a Michigan and Iowa State fan - two programs where Iowa has recently had his number. He's a much better analyst when he's not predicting Michigan or B1G teams other than Iowa, MSU, or Penn State - all teams he dislikes. So, you go into these podcasts knowing this and Jon largely agreeing with him. You watch, next year ISU vs. Iowa - who do you think Deace will pick at Kinnick? "Well, the trends and analytics suggest that ISU is due." Mark it down.

Um...I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick ISU at Kinnick next year considering that Iowa's going to have an inexperienced QB and multiple draft losses on both lines...

Um...I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pick ISU at Kinnick next year considering that Iowa's going to have an inexperienced QB and multiple draft losses on both lines...
ISU losing several defensive players as well. Their quarterback will be the one notable advantage.

Steve Deace typically has a pretty good analysis, but statistics and analytics aside, he most certainly does have a disdain for the Iowa Football program given his backhanded compliments. This is probably a combination of him being a Michigan and Iowa State fan - two programs where Iowa has recently had his number. He's a much better analyst when he's not predicting Michigan or B1G teams other than Iowa, MSU, or Penn State - all teams he dislikes. So, you go into these podcasts knowing this and Jon largely agreeing with him. You watch, next year ISU vs. Iowa - who do you think Deace will pick at Kinnick? "Well, the trends and analytics suggest that ISU is due." Mark it down.

I just don't get how you can watch that game and come away feeling the way Steve did about ISU. I mean stats are fine and dandy, but when all of your scores and the bulk of your yardage comes off 2 plays, that doesn't mean you were that good the rest of the game. He talks about Iowa being 3.3 yard per play less than ISU. Welp of course when you average 62 YPP on your 2 TD's that skews the rest of the stats. ISU ran 54 plays to Iowa's 72 plays. Iowa held the ball for 10 more minutes than ISU did. Iowa moved up and down the field on most possessions, Iowa converted 10 of 19 3rd downs. Iowa pretty much controlled that game minus 2 big plays.

I have to agree with ISU D-Cordinator Heacock, yards given up mean nothing. Look at what the team did in the red zone (Iowa was 5 for 5 scoring 18 points when getting to ISU's 25 yard line). ISU got to the Iowa's 25 yard line 1 time and came away with 3 points. Iowa was 10 of 19 on 3rd down conversions and ISU was 3 for 9. If you judge it the way ISU coaches do, Iowa clearly dominated this game.

They might as well call this Hawkeye/DeaceNation.com when they are openly pimping his paid for service now. His ISU and Michigan homerism has become too much for me at this point.

Okay? They were all plays that happened in the game. Do big plays not count in dean world or what?

It's a good thing you aught the Hawks at the best possible time considering the injuries. Kudos to the clowns for capitalizing on it.

Okay? They were all plays that happened in the game. Do big plays not count in dean world or what?

They all count, I never said they didn't. Kudos to ISU's coaching staff on those plays as well, they were well schemed, and Kudos to the players they were well executed.

I am just saying outside of those 2 plays ISU wasn't really in the game. Iowa consistently was converting 3rd downs, was consistently driving into scoring range and was coming away with points every single time. ISU couldn't get traction when they crossed the 50 yard line, couldn't get into scoring range and couldn't convert 3rd downs and keep drives alive.

It was a great game, and honestly I think both teams are really good. That great thing about that is that makes this game a no lose situation for both teams. ISU lost the game, but playing a tough rivalry game against a good team is only going to make ISU better. Same goes for Iowa. If ISU can continue to be a good program I am all for this game, as then it is a no lose situation for both programs. I ain't "scared" of this game like you are, as you never did address that post of your on Clowntearsfantastics.

Both teams played the same game basically, which was bend but don’t break

Only difference was ISU had two big plays because of inexperienced CB play.

Otherwise Iowa did what Iowa does best, conservative ball control offense, and got off the field on 3rd down

Even with the delays it was a pretty boring game which is exactly how Kirk likes it.

Both teams played the same game basically, which was bend but don’t break

Only difference was ISU had two big plays because of inexperienced CB play.

Otherwise Iowa did what Iowa does best, conservative ball control offense, and got off the field on 3rd down

Even with the delays it was a pretty boring game which is exactly how Kirk likes it.

How in the hell was that a "boring game"? Both teams played good defense, but each team moved the ball too. The game was never more than 1 score difference. I mean are we really going to say now that games are only exciting if the score is 48-45? That shit is what is boring to me. Yeah whoever has the ball last wins, because nobody can play defense, that aint exciting.

I think the hawks can survive a couple of draft losses on the Off line as they are building great depth. New QB can be problematic and I am not sure AJE goes pro.

How in the hell was that a "boring game"? Both teams played good defense, but each team moved the ball too. The game was never more than 1 score difference. I mean are we really going to say now that games are only exciting if the score is 48-45? That shit is what is boring to me. Yeah whoever has the ball last wins, because nobody can play defense, that aint exciting.

Yeah, I hate watching high scoring, back and forth offensive games when the issue is the defenses cant tackle, cant cover receivers or cant get pressure on QBs (see Big 12). Some high scoring games come from players making super plays, lots of big special teams returns, and actually because the defenses make big plays like interceptions and fumble recoveries to flip the field (See Iowa defense in the big beatdown of ohio st as OSU has a defense).

I just don't get how you can watch that game and come away feeling the way Steve did about ISU. I mean stats are fine and dandy, but when all of your scores and the bulk of your yardage comes off 2 plays, that doesn't mean you were that good the rest of the game. He talks about Iowa being 3.3 yard per play less than ISU. Welp of course when you average 62 YPP on your 2 TD's that skews the rest of the stats. ISU ran 54 plays to Iowa's 72 plays. Iowa held the ball for 10 more minutes than ISU did. Iowa moved up and down the field on most possessions, Iowa converted 10 of 19 3rd downs. Iowa pretty much controlled that game minus 2 big plays.

I have to agree with ISU D-Cordinator Heacock, yards given up mean nothing. Look at what the team did in the red zone (Iowa was 5 for 5 scoring 18 points when getting to ISU's 25 yard line). ISU got to the Iowa's 25 yard line 1 time and came away with 3 points. Iowa was 10 of 19 on 3rd down conversions and ISU was 3 for 9. If you judge it the way ISU coaches do, Iowa clearly dominated this game.

Yep, these are the stats I mentioned in my post of Gritty, Determined Hawks as my friend said Iowa was lucky to win. Hey it did help Iowa that ISU had the last punt fumble but Stone created the first fumble by Purdy by punching out that ball which really turned the game.

As I said the hawks drove the ball with consistency and had 5 scores to ISU's 3 scores. And that ISU really had trouble driving the ball because they only had 3 scores and two of those scores were long bombs where they didnt have to drive the ball. Scores are what matters.

It was a close game but Iowa was very close to also having two pass plays to Smith and Ragaini for TDs (we would have to ask Nate why he put so much air under the pass to Ragaini as he was wide open).

ISU has a very good QB who can sling the ball a little better this year than maybe the jump balls he put up last year and he is mobile. Their defense uses a lot of 'looks' to confuse opponents with some very good ball players. I havent looked at their schedule but it also looks like their are several other tough Big 12 teams and ISU can still get a bunch of wins which makes the Iowa win even better.

And maybe a 25% chance they'll lose their coach too.

Only loss that will effect that game is Stanley, Iowa will be a favorite. AJE is a great pro prospect and a great player, but he’s not irreplaceable.

Latest posts