Hawkeye Nation Heisman Trophy

Congratulations to our 2012 HawkeyeNation Heisman winner:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel! In the closest vote ever, Manziel just edged out Manti Te'o for the trophy.

Percentages:

Johnny Manziel--61.67%
Manti Te'o--49.17%
Colin Klein--23.33&
Marqise Lee--15.00%

Others receiving less than 5 percent of the vote:
Jake Knott
Braxton Miller
Aaron Murray
James Vandenberg
James Ferentz
Jadeveon Clowney
Cameron Coffman
Steele Jantz
AJ McCarron
Terrance Williams
Jordan Lynch

Johnny F Manziel earned it. Kid was spec-freaking-tacular this season. Went in to Bryant-Denny and willed his squad to victory.
No other player did anything near this on the Brass Ballz scale.
And he crushed it in every other game, too. Kid is legit.

Johnny F Manziel earned it. Kid was spec-freaking-tacular this season. Went in to Bryant-Denny and willed his squad to victory.
No other player did anything near this on the Brass Ballz scale.
And he crushed it in every other game, too. Kid is legit.

He SUCKED against Florida. He SUCKED against LSU.

Reminds me of 2008 when folks were creaming over Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, et. al., while Shonn Greene basically had ZERO bad games.

Goes to show, win the Big One on Big Network, that's all it takes.

I'll be the wet blanket.

The award, which I think used to be somewhat meaningful, has lost a lot of its luster.

It just smacks of BCS-ism....a lot based on a pre-season predetermination on who is "worthy" of the votes.

Case in point....2008...no way Shonn Greene should have been left out of going to NYC. But he didn't have any pre-season pub hype (with good reason), and was never seriously considered thereafter. Iowa chose not to play the advertising game and there you go.

It's a popularity fest, boistered by ignorant/homerism voters. (Did I say BCS-like?)

^^ butthurt tavern irish is butthurt ^^

Te'o won more awards in one season, than anyone has ever, including the Walter Camp Player of the Year award. If you put away the ND hate and really think about it, how does that not equal the most outstanding player?

I'll be the wet blanket.

The award, which I think used to be somewhat meaningful, has lost a lot of its luster.

It just smacks of BCS-ism....a lot based on a pre-season predetermination on who is "worthy" of the votes.

Case in point....2008...no way Shonn Greene should have been left out of going to NYC. But he didn't have any pre-season pub hype (with good reason), and was never seriously considered thereafter. Iowa chose not to play the advertising game and there you go.

It's a popularity fest, boistered by ignorant/homerism voters. (Did I say BCS-like?)

I know, right? Before this season started, given all the hype around Manziel and whatnot, you basically knew from the get-go it was his to lose, right?

If there was ever a year to ***** about pre-determinism in the Heisman voting, it's not the year that the unknown redshirt freshman on a team that had been projected to finish near the bottom of the SEC wins.

I know, right? Before this season started, given all the hype around Manziel and whatnot, you basically knew from the get-go it was his to lose, right?

If there was ever a year to ***** about pre-determinism in the Heisman voting, it's not the year that the unknown redshirt freshman on a team that had been projected to finish near the bottom of the SEC wins.

I didn't say it happened every year. But it happens most years. Pre-determination at the beginning of the year. And you're right....JF came out of nowhere.
As did Shonn Greene in 08, yet, he didn't get a sniff because the U of I marketing dept didn't play ball.

As well....if you're a stud player on a so-so team, forget it. It's all about popularity and the flavor of the month.

And I'll also add.....Klein was the front runner IMO, until (gasp), K-state lost to Baylor.

Most of the pundits spouted that "hurt" his Heisman chances? Why should it?? K-state ended up with a better record than A&M, albeit in a weaker conference, but all the same, is it about your team's record or your on-the-field accomplishments? (For that matter, is there even criteria??)

And why was there hand ringing at all about a freshman winning it?

Politics galore. It's gotten out of hand.

And I'll also add.....Klein was the front runner IMO, until (gasp), K-state lost to Baylor.

Most of the pundits spouted that "hurt" his Heisman chances? Why should it?? K-state ended up with a better record than A&M, albeit in a weaker conference, but all the same, is it about your team's record or your on-the-field accomplishments? (For that matter, is there even criteria??)

Politics galore. It's gotten out of hand.

Big 12 was the best conference this year. Ask any Cyclone fan and they will confirm it.

Boom! goes the dynamite.

Is this like hand clapping, my hands don't make any bell sounds?

Didn't mean to be grammar/spelling popo...but I was compelled to....

Only 'cause while I agree with your overall comment about marketing for the Heisman in general gets the name out there, it doesn't usually produce any more chance at a player to win...but more so to take votes away from someone more deserving....fortunately, that arguement is/was not valid this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts