Have Cooler Heads Prevailed

The things I was angry about in this game were things you can't do much about. See Jon's HN front page blog about that. Suffice it to say, we win this game anywhere but Hilton. But, I find it amusing that, despite the fact that ISU started this game ranked above us, they still went into it with what I can only describe as a desperation to justify themselves in the state of Iowa. Some things never change.

The game did bring up some issues I'm concerned about for the team. I found it difficult to understand Fran's putting Zach in at center last year when things were tight in games down the stretch. Now that the centers are more experienced, I find this strategy even more perplexing and see that it might potentially cost us some games this year. However, if Fran is going to do it when McCabe is having one of the worst games of his career (when has he ever gone 0/5 from 3 before?), I have to believe he'll do it again. The other issue is the seeming changing strategy down the stretch with a lead from attacking the basket to generally looking for fouls. I think this leads to a more passive attitude at the line at crunch time. As someone in a previous post mentioned, why doesn't Fran keep the attack up with set plays for the hot hands down the stretch? They might get fouls and baskets. And I must say that despite the ridicule I'm sure to get, I'm hoping, by the end of the year, to put Woody in that list of guys to set up plays for towards the end of games. He's getting increasingly consistent in his post production. At ISU he had some nice early post move buckets, 11 rb and 2 pretty assists. Now, if he can keep working on the fouling...

The things I was angry about in this game were things you can't do much about. See Jon's HN front page blog about that. Suffice it to say, we win this game anywhere but Hilton. But, I find it amusing that, despite the fact that ISU started this game ranked above us, they still went into it with what I can only describe as a desperation to justify themselves in the state of Iowa. Some things never change.

The game did bring up some issues I'm concerned about for the team. I found it difficult to understand Fran's putting Zach in at center last year when things were tight in games down the stretch. Now that the centers are more experienced, I find this strategy even more perplexing and see that it might potentially cost us some games this year. However, if Fran is going to do it when McCabe is having one of the worst games of his career (when has he ever gone 0/5 from 3 before?), I have to believe he'll do it again. The other issue is the seeming changing strategy down the stretch with a lead from attacking the basket to generally looking for fouls. I think this leads to a more passive attitude at the line at crunch time. As someone in a previous post mentioned, why doesn't Fran keep the attack up with set plays for the hot hands down the stretch? They might get fouls and baskets. And I must say that despite the ridicule I'm sure to get, I'm hoping, by the end of the year, to put Woody in that list of guys to set up plays for towards the end of games. He's getting increasingly consistent in his post production. At ISU he had some nice early post move buckets, 11 rb and 2 pretty assists. Now, if he can keep working on the fouling...

This is my point when I questioned the starting lineup. If our starting lineup is our best lineup, why arent they on the floor at the end of the game?

The hawks only lack one thing and that is closing out games. They need a way to run their offense so the hot hands get the ball. They need to be able to isolate marble who is about are only real one on one threat. I think Uhtoff can take his man.

So how do you think he got to the line four times in the final minute? Missed free throws killed us.... Oops, I misspoke. Foul shots killed us. (When you make them, they are free throws; when you miss them, they are foul shots.)

This is my point when I questioned the starting lineup. If our starting lineup is our best lineup, why arent they on the floor at the end of the game?

They are the best five from practice. During the game, you determine who the best five that night are. It's MUCH more important to determine who finishes a game than who starts a game.

Really was a miss oppertunity. Just have to man up and get back at it though. Can't cry about it going in to conf play.

Both squads were better than I thought. Hawks showed if they play their game they can control a game aginst a top tier team. If WHite playes like that he will be a beast.

the clones who call Woody "dingleberry" or the hawk fans (?) who claim he's not a quality player didn't notice the nice first half baskets, the rebounding, and his effect on ISU driving the lane. Yes, Niang drove when he wanted to, but ISU didn't penetrate as much when Woody was in there -- he plays good position d (at least not on inbounds plays) and deters drives as a result. Gabe is still often out of position, and seems to get too emotionally involved in the game.

So when Woody has foul problems or has fouled out against a quality team, what do you do? Go with Gabe, who has equal chance of being a plus and a minus defensively, while not giving much in the half court offense, or go with McCabe, who will be overmatched on defense but is a strong 3pt shooter, good passer, and can attack the rim and draw contact (at his best -- at his worst he drives into blackholesville and 1) gets blocked; 2) turns it over; 3) charges)?

Fran is right to go with McCabe in those situations, until Gabe demonstrates he can be a plus player against the bog boys at the end of games (note: I'm not saying McCabe is a plus player in those situations -- I'm saying he offers more, in the balance, than Gabe does).

All of this underscores that Fran needs a 6'9"-ish power forward who can step in right away as part of the '14 class, and can step over to defend the 5 if Woody is on the bench and if Gabe is still not in the flow.

Last edited:
Kane sucked at scoring in that game. Woody was a big reason why. Nothing wrong about being excited about the kid.

If I could take any young player on Iowa's roster I'd take uthoff in a heartbeat though.

One thing you are taking for granted is ISU's play. ISU did not play well and still found a way to win.

Actually they did play well. Shot season Avg. from the field, from 3 pt range, and just a few point lower than season avg from FT line. Your two best players had career games. ISU played better against Iowa than it did vs. Michigan. Of course not every player is gonna haver a career night, that doesn't mean your team didn't play well

I think the lesson in all of this is that if Fran were a truly competent coach his team would get blown out by double digits instead of losing a nailbiter in the final seconds.

Actually they did play well. Shot season Avg. from the field, from 3 pt range, and just a few point lower than season avg from FT line. Your two best players had career games. ISU played better against Iowa than it did vs. Michigan. Of course not every player is gonna haver a career night, that doesn't mean your team didn't play well

I still don't get how rational ISU fan (oxymoron?) can say that they played bad. Maybe they do expect their whole team to have career nights every night and beat teams 156-75.

I still don't get how rational ISU fan (oxymoron?) can say that they played bad. Maybe they do expect their whole team to have career nights every night and beat teams 156-75.

I don't either. I thought both teams played pretty well actually. Sure they both made mistake, and missed opportunities, but that is always the case. It is even more so the case when the competition they are playing is good.

Did anyone see the end of the Florida Gulf Coast game last night?? If not, check it out. There's a familiar face involved in a contoversial call..

Clown fans tend to think since they won they are the better team? After watching the game 3 times now.... I agree with Jon...Neutral Court...Iowa Wins. Carver...Iowa wins. I got news for Clown fans...yes you won on the score board but you are NOT the better team. Iowa choked and lost the game....period. Ames Community college did not out play Iowa. Ames Communtiy college does not have more talent than Iowa. If the Clown fans think scoreboard is a vital measure, then Iowa was far and away the better team last year. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Clown fans keep telling yourself you have the better team.... It was pretty obvious who was the better team on the court.

ISU is the better team since they won the game. That's all there is to it. It's people like you that make Iowa fans look stupid and make us look bad. Take your medicine and move on.

ISU is the better team since they won the game. That's all there is to it. It's people like you that make Iowa fans look stupid and make us look bad. Take your medicine and move on.

Since ISU won you think you are the better team? Wow...you are clueless. So was Iowa the better team last year? Get a clue. The better team doesn't always win...and Iowa was clearly the better team with the better talent.

Since ISU won you think you are the better team? Wow...you are clueless. So was Iowa the better team last year? Get a clue. The better team doesn't always win...and Iowa was clearly the better team with the better talent.

I agree with everything else, but the bold I can't agree with. Iowa's strength isn't their individual talent it's their team play and hard work. Niang alone has more talent than Iowa's entire front line combined. He's just got a lot more well rounded game, polished skills, and a higher level IQ and awareness. You throw Ejim in to that mix and it's a mauling in terms of pure basketball talent.

Latest posts