Have Cooler Heads Prevailed

We lost a good game to a good team on the road where the ref's were intimidated by the home crowd. It will happen again and won't ruin our season. Time to move on to the next game.

I hate to break this to you but this game will be hashed over for a while. The next game is not until the 22nd and there is not a lot to discuss playing Arkansas Pine Bluff.

No.

Look, it may not be the Lickliter days anymore, the team is clearly more competitive and a lot more entertaining to watch. But at the end of the day, what difference does it really make if you still are not winning? I want better than the NIT. If Iowa doesn't learn to start winning these games (it's looking like last year again, at this point) then Iowa is anything but an NCAA tournament lock.

There is no doubt that everyone wants NCAA over NIT but it is what the team is able to earn. Fran and his crew have tried exceedingly hard to do everything they can to make this happen. I have see no reason to jump ship every time something does not go our way.

The fact of the matter is we as a fan base threw our program away years ago so if anyone should be upset it should be us at ourselves. This man has come in and restored some promise. I want to ride that and support that as long as the basketball is good which it has been.

The landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically since the days of Tom Davis lock for the tournament. Wisconsin moved in and stole that spot from us while we were asleep at the wheel. TD played a real soft non-con schedule most seasons which I am not sure would fly today with the RPI situation and would go .500 most seasons in the B1G. Today that is often NIT where that used to be 20 win NCAA birth.

This B1G is tough to get upward mobility in right now and the schedule is unbalanced. The Big12 by contrast has a couple of excellent teams but teams 5-10 are way soft considering what they used to be. A team like ISU should easily win 9 of 10 from that group alone. Then win a couple against the other 3 at home and you are in the tourney. The B1G has what maybe 2-3 really bad teams and with the unbalanced schedule you may only get them once? No margin for error.

Patience, perspective and continuity are my thing.

Have cooler heads prevailed? For now. But close losses with upper classmen in at the end of games can't continue. It was their first road test and they held their own; but they should have won. The Hawks were the better team last night on the Cyclones home floor - one of the toughest enviroments in college basketball.

The season is not in despair.

Unless these stats do not change in B1G play.

Gesell . . . . .12-20 . . 60.0%
Marble . . . . 55-84 . . 65.4%

You cannot have your guards shot FT% like that and then expect to hold down tight leads at the end of games. Period.

Last night against ISU, those two shot a combined 7-13 from the line. Most of those coming in the final 3 minutes. That isn't on the Iowa team -- it's on these two guards to get it together at the line. After awhile, FT shooting can get in your head and it's a struggle to get it back.

Last season Marble shot 81.0% and Gesell shot 79.4% from the FT line.

Gesell's form, especially on the first miss, looked bad. I was thinking Marble may not be focused as he's looking to the B1G lack of respect. He has not looked good at the line all year.

Here's another stat for the season:

Uthoff is
7-17 from 3 and
45-84 overall.
Leads the team in rebounds and
2nd in blocked shots.
He is shooting 87% of FTs.
He can create his own shot

all of this demands more playing time. he has to be on the floor more. he cannot be hesitant to take a shot.

"He can create his own shot"

I don't know, his handles are pretty sloppy. If a guy closes in on him too quickly, Uthoff can go by him, but he can't take people off the bounce.

On the other hand, with his height, he's open even when he's fairly well guarded.

Last edited:
I love this team. I love our coach. I love there are a bunch of Iowa kids on this roster and not a bunch of transfers, malcontents, mercenaries and head cases. I love that there is a direct link to the glory days on this team. I love their hustle, the chip on their shoulder, the fire in their bellies. I love to see young men have pride in wearing IOWA across their chest. There will be ups and downs but this teams best days are still ahead....and I love that most of all.

No need to stop at Carver. If that game is anywhere other than Hilton, we win. If we get to play ISU in the tournament I would feel pretty confident.
This..

I hope like hell we get a rematch with the Clowns in the tournament. Their good. But they are going to lose their share on the road when they're away from the Hilton home cooking. We have a real good team. They are going to get better as the year goes and everyone settles into their roles. I'm disapointed we lost. But good grief ..some of you people need to remember where this program was 3 short years ago. We are relavent again.

the problem is we did this very thing last year time and time again and it cost us our chance at the tourney... already have done it twice this year an no good non conf wins.

People who think this is just a meltdown, lack of logic thing are not remembering the past year and a half of blowing leads.

People are panicking way too soon. All it could take is getting that first close win to get over the hump. @Wisconsin is a very good opportunity to get that done, and it's very early in the B1G schedule. That's the perfect time to get over the hump and move forward.

Have cooler heads prevailed? For now. But close losses with upper classmen in at the end of games can't continue. It was their first road test and they held their own; but they should have won. The Hawks were the better team last night on the Cyclones home floor - one of the toughest enviroments in college basketball.

The season is not in despair.

Unless these stats do not change in B1G play.

Gesell . . . . .12-20 . . 60.0%
Marble . . . . 55-84 . . 65.4%

You cannot have your guards shot FT% like that and then expect to hold down tight leads at the end of games. Period.

Last night against ISU, those two shot a combined 7-13 from the line. Most of those coming in the final 3 minutes. That isn't on the Iowa team -- it's on these two guards to get it together at the line. After awhile, FT shooting can get in your head and it's a struggle to get it back.

Last season Marble shot 81.0% and Gesell shot 79.4% from the FT line.

Gesell's form, especially on the first miss, looked bad. I was thinking Marble may not be focused as he's looking to the B1G lack of respect. He has not looked good at the line all year.

Here's another stat for the season:

Uthoff is
7-17 from 3 and
45-84 overall.
Leads the team in rebounds and
2nd in blocked shots.
He is shooting 87% of FTs.
He can create his own shot

all of this demands more playing time. he has to be on the floor more. he cannot be hesitant to take a shot.

You're counting Gesell's FT's from last night twice. He's 10-15, not 12-20. That's not many attempts, which means just a couple misses can really skew his average (he came into last night at 80%). I would still feel very confident the next time Mike is put on the line late in the game. As should you.

You're right. Those are duplicated. I thought I pulled those straight from ESPN, but must have added last night's stats. Dope.

I was ticked last night but have tempered my anger after a night of sleep.

I came away with Iowa played well the entire night in a very tough arena. There is some real talent on this team, which Fran deserves a ton of credit.

Lastly Hoiberg can coach, he out coached Fran in the last 2 min and from what I saw was some of the best coaching of anyone in a long, long time.

How did Hoiberg out coach Mccaffery the last 2 minutes? Iowa bricked 2 front ends, Gesell bricks 2 straight after easily getting to the rim. McCabe has a WIDE open look to tie it. He didn't out coach anyone, Iowa's players couldn't step up and finish the game, not the coach. Fran put them in position down the stretch.

How did Hoiberg out coach Mccaffery the last 2 minutes? Iowa bricked 2 front ends, Gesell bricks 2 straight after easily getting to the rim. McCabe has a WIDE open look to tie it. He didn't out coach anyone, Iowa's players couldn't step up and finish the game, not the coach. Fran put them in position down the stretch.

dare you say, execution? ;)

looks like some cooler heads have prevailed, but some are just as angry as ever. some of the replies in this thread are just ridiculous. sure it's a bummer of a loss, but if that game is played anywhere else, it's a win for Iowa.

looks like some cooler heads have prevailed, but some are just as angry as ever. some of the replies in this thread are just ridiculous. sure it's a bummer of a loss, but if that game is played anywhere else, it's a win for Iowa.

Apologist plus rationalizer equals "thank you sir may I have another."

These stellar shooting guards didn't miss a FT to lose a game. They missed FOUR in a row. Against a huge rival. With the game on the line (pun intended.) An absolutely epic choke n goat display. I bet El Mayor was in absolute disbelief. He's prolly never been handed a game on a platter like that.

There's no silver lining to that debacle. If that entire locker room isn't feeling like a steaming Calcutta trash heap today, they're doin it wrong.

i'm guessing, after a full nights rest, that some of you have chilled out a bit. is it okay to keep being a Hawkeye basketball fan? seriously people, have cooler heads prevailed? Iowa lost a close b-ball game, on the road, to a ranked team. two losses on the year, both close games. much longer year ahead.

deep breath on 1...2...3...

hold it for a bit

relax

see, doesn't that feel better? :)

still a lot of games ahead to get better. if that game was in Carver, we win. there will be some big wins yet this year, i promise.

No. This loss still irks me. Partly because it grates me to repeatedly hear "HIlton Magic" from the likes, no less, of Dickie V and the Clowns who troll this board without a moderator doing a darned thing about it. If this loss is the difference between dancing and returning to the NIT, I will be doubly peeved.

But it also irks me because this was a very winnable game, bad officiating notwithstanding (and have no doubt it was atrocious.) Hold onto a rebound here, two of our best free throw shooters make critical free throws in the last minute there, Zach hit from 3-point range as he has repeatedly done, this is a good Iowa win, a real resume enhancer.

This was a step back.

I don't want to think this Iowa team is a bunch of chokers who can't play in hostile environments. But they have yet to show they can win the close game.

kids miss shots

it happens

get over it

gesell played a hell of a game last night. that kid has some sack -- he's the one on the roster that goes for the throat in a pressure situation. the drive that led to the free throws (yeah, that were missed) was perfect. where some other players on this roster hesitate or get reckless, gesell is starting to show what he did in hs. he will win some close games for this team before he graduates.

this team will get a road win )or two) against a ranked opponent this year. one pattern has been that fran's teams get tougher and sharper as the year goes on, and that will happen with this bunch -- who already look pretty good.

get the panties out of their wads and bring on the conference season.

i'm guessing, after a full nights rest, that some of you have chilled out a bit. is it okay to keep being a Hawkeye basketball fan? seriously people, have cooler heads prevailed? Iowa lost a close b-ball game, on the road, to a ranked team. two losses on the year, both close games. much longer year ahead.

deep breath on 1...2...3...

hold it for a bit

relax

see, doesn't that feel better? :)

still a lot of games ahead to get better. if that game was in Carver, we win. there will be some big wins yet this year, i promise.

We could have some big wins as long as the game isn't within 10 points with less than 10 minutes to play in the second half. If that's the case we'll just choke...again.

kids miss shots

it happens

get over it

gesell played a hell of a game last night. that kid has some sack -- he's the one on the roster that goes for the throat in a pressure situation. the drive that led to the free throws (yeah, that were missed) was perfect. where some other players on this roster hesitate or get reckless, gesell is starting to show what he did in hs. he will win some close games for this team before he graduates.

this team will get a road win )or two) against a ranked opponent this year. one pattern has been that fran's teams get tougher and sharper as the year goes on, and that will happen with this bunch -- who already look pretty good.

get the panties out of their wads and bring on the conference season.

hell of a good post. and good point on Mikey. smart kid, aggressive play, just couldn't deliver on the FTs.

Apologist plus rationalizer equals "thank you sir may I have another."

These stellar shooting guards didn't miss a FT to lose a game. They missed FOUR in a row. Against a huge rival. With the game on the line (pun intended.) An absolutely epic choke n goat display. I bet El Mayor was in absolute disbelief. He's prolly never been handed a game on a platter like that.

There's no silver lining to that debacle. If that entire locker room isn't feeling like a steaming Calcutta trash heap today, they're doin it wrong.

dude, doesn't it get old for you? why come on here to troll if that's all you do? must be fun for you or something. you admitted that you didn't watch the game, so you obviously don't care that much either way.

I was ticked last night but have tempered my anger after a night of sleep.

I came away with Iowa played well the entire night in a very tough arena. There is some real talent on this team, which Fran deserves a ton of credit.

Lastly Hoiberg can coach, he out coached Fran in the last 2 min and from what I saw was some of the best coaching of anyone in a long, long time.

I dont know that he outcoached Fran but Hoiberg made a couple good moves or has his team ready for this type of time and score situation. The ISO clearout play to Niang when they were still down 3 and Niang had the whole court to himself and Uhtoff guarding was set up well.

Uthoff's only problem was giving up the baseline to Niang's best dribble side ( i assume). Uthoff should have forced him to the left.

Fran did some defensive switches and called a timeout to set up a real good out of bounds play in the last few minutes. The hawks handled their pressure but I think Fran should have had them attacking the basket in the last few minutes as ISU's Long and Niang both had 4 fouls.

I would say Fran not pushing his offense to the rim, putting McCabe in late instead of a rebounder shotblocker like basabe or oleseni were things that Hoiberg had nothing to do with.

We had a 5 point lead under two minutes, our offense got us to the line 3 times which could have been 4-6 points, we had a rebound poked loose and a bad handle by Marble I think. Fran had these guys in the winners circle if they made some shots and held on to two balls.

If it was played somewhere else.... But it wasn't. This is the only time Iowa plays ISU this year, barring something in March. Iowa lost. End of story.

Nearly 24 hours later, I am one of the ones who is angry as ever. It's not about any one game. For me, it's about lack of winning for the last decade plus. It's about something like 9 losses by 4 points or fewer in the last season plus a handful of games.

I'm simply sick of losing, and am ready to win some games like this for a change. It's really not complicated for me. Winning cures all.. And waiting is getting old. That's not a prediction for the rest of this year, just a statement of fact that I'm frustrated with Iowa hoops from 1999-2013.

Patience? That tank is running on empty.

Last edited:
Nope. Still ticked.

But at least I have the complete and total meltdown/fiasco on orangeblood and local sports radio to make me feel better.

Latest posts