Have Cooler Heads Prevailed

Much calmer this morning. It sucks we lost, but get used to this, we will some some more this year in close games. It is BB, and we are going to lose 7-10 game this year, more than likely. We will still be in the NCAA, so fret no HawkeyNation!

We will be in the Tournament for certain. We will learn from this game and move on. It is a long season......

Here's what Hawk Central columnist, Bryce Miller, had to say about the game:

Heck, ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla attended the game — and he wasn’t even working. Fraschilla drove three and a half hours from Kansas City, the site of his television game today between Kansas and New Mexico.
“I decided to see one of the games of the season — in person,” he said.
Truth is, hoops in Iowa hit air so rarified that it took a trip to 1987 to find a time the Cyclones and Hawkeyes faced off as ranked teams.
Blue-chip stock status has returned to the state’s biggest programs at the same time, enough so that the game became must-viewing nationally, from as close as possible.
“I don’t like to shoot my mouth off on TV without doing my homework,” Fraschilla said. “This is one of those games you need to see.”

We be gathering serious attention along with the clones.....

This is actually a good thing. Would have been nice to win, but it was an extremely exciting game, the best of college basketball.....

Here's what Hawk Central columnist, Bryce Miller, had to say about the game:

Heck, ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla attended the game — and he wasn’t even working. Fraschilla drove three and a half hours from Kansas City, the site of his television game today between Kansas and New Mexico.
“I decided to see one of the games of the season — in person,” he said.
Truth is, hoops in Iowa hit air so rarified that it took a trip to 1987 to find a time the Cyclones and Hawkeyes faced off as ranked teams.
Blue-chip stock status has returned to the state’s biggest programs at the same time, enough so that the game became must-viewing nationally, from as close as possible.
“I don’t like to shoot my mouth off on TV without doing my homework,” Fraschilla said. “This is one of those games you need to see.”

We be gathering serious attention along with the clones.....

This is actually a good thing. Would have been nice to win, but it was an extremely exciting game, the best of college basketball.....

Iowa and isu are easily 2 of the top 15 most exciting teams in the nation.

kids miss shots

it happens

get over it

gesell played a hell of a game last night. that kid has some sack -- he's the one on the roster that goes for the throat in a pressure situation. the drive that led to the free throws (yeah, that were missed) was perfect. where some other players on this roster hesitate or get reckless, gesell is starting to show what he did in hs. he will win some close games for this team before he graduates.

this team will get a road win )or two) against a ranked opponent this year. one pattern has been that fran's teams get tougher and sharper as the year goes on, and that will happen with this bunch -- who already look pretty good.

get the panties out of their wads and bring on the conference season.

As far as coolin down goes I myself am fine. Our Hawks went into one of the most difficult venues in college basketball and dominated a game against a higher rated opponent for all but the last few moments of the game and just plain were not able to overcome a load nasty road enviroment. That simple! I believe that game will prove very valuable when conference play begins, remember the Hawks go on the road to Madison on 1/5/14 & in the last 4 meetings between the Hawks & Badgers Iowa is 3-1 with the loss being in overtime @ the Kohl center. I believe the Hawks will get a road win in Madison and the ISU game will prove as a learning experience. Fran & staff are doing a awesome job of coaching and as the season unfolds we as Hawk fans will see the fruits of their labor pay off in a bid to the NCAA tourny. Trust me we will all look back at the ISU game at the end of the season and see that it proved as a stepping stone to a great season and a ncaa tourny bid. Thanks ISU our Hawks needed that game to get ready for the Big 10 conference grind! GO HAWKS

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

I've read all the apologist's retorts.

FT's, cannot hold on to a rebound, held the lead for xyz minutes...whatever.

Doesn't matter.

Sorry fellas, but this was a lost opportunity and we clearly blew it.

Doesn't matter.

even the biggest homer is disappointed and knows that Iowa really should have won the game. i was meaning those people who were losing their minds and personally attacking Mike and Dev.

Doesn't matter.

Have you read deanvogs? He'll have you believing it's ISU FANS fault that we lost. It's quality spin!

Have you read deanvogs? He'll have you believing it's ISU FANS fault that we lost. It's quality spin!

What are you talking about? I have said each and every time that Iowa lost because they missed FT. That is why I was bitter for a few hours, Iowa let it slip away. Never felt they would win that game anyway.

It's not the end of the world. a 3 pt loss at Hilton is not a difficult reality to wrap your heads around. At least it shouldn't be. This team still can't close out and win the close games, for whatever reason. It's a mental hurdle. I suspect it has to do with all of the shared minutes. We often have a different line up on the floor at the end of games, than the one that starts the game and the starts the second half. I always thought that you wanted your best lineup to start every game and finish every game but that's just my opinion.

It's not the end of the world. a 3 pt loss at Hilton is not a difficult reality to wrap your heads around. At least it shouldn't be. This team still can't close out and win the close games, for whatever reason. It's a mental hurdle. I suspect it has to do with all of the shared minutes. We often have a different line up on the floor at the end of games, than the one that starts the game and the starts the second half. I always thought that you wanted your best lineup to start every game and finish every game but that's just my opinion.

After re watching the game, everything that could go wrong did in those last 1:20. Woody missing a FT, Marble missing the front end of a FT, White getting a tough rebound, then coughing it up trying to throw it out, and of course Gesell missing 2 FT.

It is what it is, and I'm over it at this point. When playing a good team on the road, you just hope your team is in position to win it at the end. Iowa was, and just didn't finish, hopefully if they are in the same spot in BIG play, they close out the game.

After re watching the game, everything that could go wrong did in those last 1:20. Woody missing a FT, Marble missing the front end of a FT, White getting a tough rebound, then coughing it up trying to throw it out, and of course Gesell missing 2 FT.

It is what it is, and I'm over it at this point. When playing a good team on the road, you just hope your team is in position to win it at the end. Iowa was, and just didn't finish, hopefully if they are in the same spot in BIG play, they close out the game.

I rewatched it too and it was just as frustrating as the 1st time. Woody getting a lose ball foul 30 feet from the basket hurt really bad too. The White rebound was very unfortunate. I think he had to dribble or he would have traveled. If that doesn't happen he is shooting a 1 and 1 with 45 seconds left and up 3. Like you said everything possible that could have gone wrong did.

Nope. Only the closest game matters ;) I think most are just mad that we had that one slip away. Nothing a win over Wisconsin won't help! :)

Huh! I would have swore we just won close games against Xavier and Notre Dame. I guess those don't count?

Nope. Still not over it. It's not the loss that bothers me, it's the way they lost that is still killing me. Hopefully, the team is thinking the same thing and using that as motivation to not let it happen again. Back to reading the meltdown and speculation on who the new coach is at Texas over on orangebloods.

Latest posts