Has Iowa Ever Had this Much Speed?

This is the fastest we've had in a long time, especially among the WR corps. I'm not sure we've ever had so many guys with this kind of speed, and certainly not so many fast guys who could actually play football (unlike guys like Chaney). Their speed translates to the field very well. C.J. Jones was fast (and I believe he was the fastest guy on the 2002 team), but I think Powell and Parker are both faster than he was. Smith's speed is right there with Jones', IMO. As for Willies, we know he's fast, but I've not seen enough of him to make a comparison.

If a tree falls in the forest does anyone hear it? If Iowa has speed does anyone see it?
Anyone with speed at Iowa sticks out like a sore thumb.

This team does have nice speed, but if you're talking purely playmaking speed on the offensive side of the ball, it's tough to match Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks. Of course, those two had the ball in their hands for the large majority of Iowa's offensive plays. The same cannot be said for Parker, Powell, Willies and Smith.

This is the fastest we've had in a long time, especially among the WR corps. I'm not sure we've ever had so many guys with this kind of speed, and certainly not so many fast guys who could actually play football (unlike guys like Chaney). Their speed translates to the field very well. C.J. Jones was fast (and I believe he was the fastest guy on the 2002 team), but I think Powell and Parker are both faster than he was. Smith's speed is right there with Jones', IMO. As for Willies, we know he's fast, but I've not seen enough of him to make a comparison.

With all due respect, you were like 2 years old when Hayden was coach and had decent players. Plus, it is my understanding that you are a closet ISU fan, so I would advise everyone to take this post with a grain of salt.

The game of college football has gotten faster with the rule changes, safety measures, tempo offenses. Iowa hasn't.

Ronnie Harmon, Quinn Early, Robert Smith should be considered...Coach Fry did play the slow Halvetdon and Happel more than Early though. Quinn had the best NFL career of any Iowa receiver of the last 40 years... Guess ole coach played 'favorites'... Good thing message boards weren't around then.

Tony Stewart, Sean Smith, and Danan Hughes, and Antilla could all move. Mix in a mike Saunders, and a 240 pound bell that could house it....1990 wasn't too shabby

???

If a tree falls in the forest does anyone hear it? If Iowa has speed does anyone see it?
If Davis has he druthers, yes. If KF has his druthers, no. Notice who KF's go to guy is at, for instance, WR.. KMM. His go to guy at, for instance, punt returner...

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. Guy wasn't all that memorable to me... other than his grades debacle. Must have been he almost didn't make it to Iowa because of his grades. I don't remember him doing all that much throughout his career at Iowa (don't know why, injuries, maybe) but I seem to remember the grades thing.

Last edited:
The 02 team was chock full of SEC country players that became doyalized and engrained with Iowa toughness. I think I just soiled myself. That era was fast in all three phases. Hell, we had dual threat QB from Florida.

Only when djk was playing! Boom! Zinger! You Know what I mean. Am i right am I right? (Said in terrible cheesie comedian fashion). Ok, that deserves a thumbs down. Proceed.

The 02 team was chock full of SEC country players that became doyalized and engrained with Iowa toughness. I think I just soiled myself. That era was fast in all three phases. Hell, we had dual threat QB from Florida.

They also had Matt Roth coming off the bench for a pass rush... unreal.

I actually think the 2002 team was the best blend of speed and talent that ferentz has had at the skill position in one season. Fred Russell and jermelle Lewis could house at any point. I also remember cj "see you later" jones and Mo brown consistently taking short routes and screens for TDs that year. Not to mention the fastest TE and hard to argue we also had our fastest qb ever. That team was so much fun to watch.

I think Duzey would beat Clark in a foot race.

Wilie guy asked my girlfriend at the time to type a paper for him and she said she couldn't even read it, it was so bad. Almost illiterate.

How about we add the 1985 combo of Robert Smith, Quinn Early and Ronnie Harmon. They could really motor. They also had Marv Cook at TE and backup RB Marshall Cotton. On D they had Devon Mitchell and Larry Station, both really quick to the ball. A lot of speed on that team, and Long had his choice of good receivers.