Has Iowa Ever Had this Much Speed?

I actually think the 2002 team was the best blend of speed and talent that ferentz has had at the skill position in one season. Fred Russell and jermelle Lewis could house at any point. I also remember cj "see you later" jones and Mo brown consistently taking short routes and screens for TDs that year. Not to mention the fastest TE and hard to argue we also had our fastest qb ever. That team was so much fun to watch.

Banks wasn't even close to our "fastest QB ever". 40-wise, both Chandler and Tate were as fast or faster, and I would bet Jake Christensen was faster, as well.

Thanks for not making it overtly racial, though.

Clyde Williams was probably faster than any of them. How abour Ed Podolak? He would also be right up there as possibly the fastest qb before his position change.

Banks wasn't even close to our "fastest QB ever". 40-wise, both Chandler and Tate were as fast or faster, and I would bet Jake Christensen was faster, as well.

Thanks for not making it overtly racial, though.

:confused:

You are the first person here to say anything about race, unless I missed something.

40 times, as claimed by the internet:

Marvin McNutt 4.48
Brad Banks 4.67
Nathan Chandler 4.82
James Vandenberg 4.83 (!!!)
Drew Tate 4.86
Jake Rudock 4.86
CJ Beatherd 4.86
Ricky Stanzi 4.87
Scott Chandler 4.77 (campus) 4.87 (combine)
Arvell Nelson 4.96

Everyone forgets about Damon Gibson on that '97 team. Went on to have a productive 5-7 year NFL career had a two year stretch where he was just as productive as Dwight was in the NFL. The way I understood it was his initial 10 meter burst was faster than Banks/Dwight, but would be caught in a 100 meter dash.

I looked up his stats. If I saw everything he recorded stats in two of his five tears. I'm not trying to diminish what he did. It's a tremendous accomplishment just to get a look in the NFL. I'm just saying I wouldn't compare him to TD.

Damon Gibson had 21 career NFL receptions, 3 carries, 43 kick returns, 70 punt returns, and scored 4 TD.

Timmy Dwight had 194 career NFL receptions, 53 carries, 203 kick returns, 185 punt returns, threw 2 passes, and scored 27 TD.

Wait what

Look at their 40 times. Christensen had the fastest. Tate/Chandler/Banks were all in the 4.7/4.8 range. Jake, I believe, was the only one of those 3 that had sub-4.7 "listed" time.

I don't question Banks having the quickest feet. He was NOT the fastest QB "ever".

And of course, 40 time is well down the list of prognosticators of "success"...

Marvin McNutt 4.48
Brad Banks 4.67
Nathan Chandler 4.82
Drew Tate 4.86
Jake Rudock 4.86
CJ Beatherd 4.86
Ricky Stanzi 4.87
Arvell Nelson 4.96

<<(A)s claimed by the internet>>

Exactly

Marvin McNutt 4.48
Brad Banks 4.67
Nathan Chandler 4.82
Drew Tate 4.86
Jake Rudock 4.86
CJ Beatherd 4.86
Ricky Stanzi 4.87
Arvell Nelson 4.96

CJ and JR have the same time? Interesting. CJ "looks" a lot faster to me. Then again given that, at one point, Russell was said to be the fastest on the team by some, he got caught from behind more than once.

I think DJKs speed gets overlooked, too, although he may never have been the "fastest on the team".

Another factor that we never see considered: "track" speed vs. "on the field" speed. I have a hard time believing pads/equipment slow a Tevaun Smith or Derek Willes down as much as they would a Damond Powell.

Look at their 40 times. Christensen had the fastest. Tate/Chandler/Banks were all in the 4.7/4.8 range. Jake, I believe, was the only one of those 3 that had sub-4.7 "listed" time.

I don't question Banks having the quickest feet. He was NOT the fastest QB "ever".

And of course, 40 time is well down the list of prognosticators of "success"...

NFL combine results:

Banks 4.67
Tate 4.80
Chandler 4.82
Stanzi 4.82
Christensen 4.92

Banks rushed for twice as many yards as all of these guys combined.

Couple notes regarding uihawk82's mention of Willie Fleming and Bob Jeter. In the book "75 Years With the Fighting Hawkeyes" Forest Evashevski mentioned those two players. He said that Fleming was his best halfback and Edie Vincent and Bob Jeter were just a cut below. Larry Ferguson was called a "game breaker." Evy said that although he only stood 5 ft. 9in. tall, Fleming could stand underneath the basket and jump up and dunk the basket
ball because he had so much spring in his legs. Evy said that Jeter had those long, loping strides and didn't look like he was moving as fast as he actually was.

Couple notes regarding uihawk82's mention of Willie Fleming and Bob Jeter. In the book "75 Years With the Fighting Hawkeyes" Forest Evashevski mentioned those two players. He said that Fleming was his best halfback and Edie Vincent and Bob Jeter were just a cut below. Larry Ferguson was called a "game breaker." Evy said that although he only stood 5 ft. 9in. tall, Fleming could stand underneath the basket and jump up and dunk the basket
ball because he had so much spring in his legs. Evy said that Jeter had those long, loping strides and didn't look like he was moving as fast as he actually was.

Has anyone EVER seen an "official" explanation to why Willie Fleming was "ineligible' after his sophomore year?

NFL combine results:

Banks 4.67
Tate 4.80
Chandler 4.82
Stanzi 4.82
Christensen 4.92

Banks rushed for twice as many yards as all of these guys combined.

Jake Christensen went to the combine?! Who knew...

I didn't know Nate Chandler went to the combine, either. Do you mean pro day? I thought combine was an "invite" deal?

Between Parker, Powell, Smith, and Willies. I never remember this much speed on a single roster.

I do think that the team speed is solid. But after a game with a big play from each parker and powell, this might be an overreaction. And, Willies doesn't even really play.

Sidenote and I can't back this up with actual data, but I'm pretty sure every time Smith was targeted vs. Indiana, it resulted in a first down. They should feed him the ball more

Our #1 back is Weisman is terribly slow by D1 running back standards. Rudock is a fine athlete but not that fast, especially compared to some QBs these days. Canzeri is super quick but he certainly doesn't have elite speed. Hillyer is solid, but not fast at all. The TEs are actually relatively fast, but as for all of the skill players... I don't think this team is all that fast

Jake Christensen went to the combine?! Who knew...

I didn't know Nate Chandler went to the combine, either. Do you mean pro day? I thought combine was an "invite" deal?

If you're trying to say, "I've been pwned and admit defeat", then you failed.