Has Ferentz lost Marc Morehouse?

The message board isn't how all "real" fans think...

I' don't know where you live, but 9/10 people I talked to NOT on this board were not speaking to highly of Ferentz at the moment.

The thought that a message board somehow isn't how "real" fans think always make me chuckle.

False - the first PP incident lost Alford. The entire women's AD refused to acknowledge Alfraud's existence after that.

Plus people hated Tonya too.

KF has had an incredible amount of off the field issues. If he weren't viewed so positively, he would've been toast.

Remember the tone after the 2007 season? Everyone was getting arrested, we had missed a bowl game. Remember when we were 3-3 in 2008. He was as good as gone. Everytime he puts his check in his bank account he ought to call Shonn Greene and thank him endlessly.

I remember thinking that at the time--that KF was one player away from completely losing the program.

Not a great comparison by Morehouse, but I will give him a pass because I haven't seen a lot of stuff where he has been way off like this. Morehouse is generally pretty good, and everyone steps in it from time to time.

As a number of people have mentioned, the Alford situation was different than this because Alford had no personal goodwill. KF has a ton of personal goodwill in the Hawkeye community.

Also, personally, I could never get over the fact that Alford never really wanted to be a Hawkeye--he always had one eye on the Hoosier bench. KF wants to be a Hawkeye. He has had several "dream jobs" offered to him, which he passed up. His kids are Hawkeyes. KF is a Hawkeye. Big difference, in my opinion.

Not a great comparison by Morehouse, but I will give him a pass because I haven't seen a lot of stuff where he has been way off like this. Morehouse is generally pretty good, and everyone steps in it from time to time.

As a number of people have mentioned, the Alford situation was different than this because Alford had no personal goodwill. KF has a ton of personal goodwill in the Hawkeye community.

Also, personally, I could never get over the fact that Alford never really wanted to be a Hawkeye--he always had one eye on the Hoosier bench. KF wants to be a Hawkeye. He has had several "dream jobs" offered to him, which he passed up. His kids are Hawkeyes. KF is a Hawkeye. Big difference, in my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to a mistake and I agree, Morehouse has been a good writer who deserves a "my bad" and everyone moves along.

KF is nowhere near as divisive as Alford was. This week has been a rough one, but its nothing like what it was during the Alford tenure. Alford never had the consistent highs to sway his critics from day one.

When Alford arrived at Iowa, he was polarizing, because there was a segment of the fanbase that was ticked that Davis was helped out the door. Those people never came around and there was always an ongoing battle.

With KF, he pretty much won everyone over, two times around.

I' don't know where you live, but 9/10 people I talked to NOT on this board were not speaking to highly of Ferentz at the moment.

The thought that a message board somehow isn't how "real" fans think always make me chuckle.

I'm not making any statements on what a real fan is. I've never heard anyone I wouldn't consider to be a football diehard that thinks KF needs to go. Casual fans, those that just like to root for their Hawks and don't live and die with the team don't see anything wrong.

Alfraud on the other hand had my grandmother, who couldn't tell you how many players each team puts on the floor for a basketball game, wanted Alfraud gone and not associated with the University of Iowa.

There isn't anything wrong with being hard core, just don't make the mistake of thinking that you are in the majority.

Last edited:
I'm not making any statements on what a real fan is. I've never heard anyone I wouldn't consider to be a football diehard that thinks KF needs to go. Casual fans, those that just like to root for their Hawks and don't live and die with the team don't see anything wrong.

Alfraud on the other hand had my grandmother, who couldn't tell you how many players each team puts on the floor for a basketball game, wanted Alfraud gone and not associated with the University of Iowa.

There isn't anything wrong with being hard core, just don't make the mistake of thinking that you are in the majority.

Message boards have "real fans", no doubt.

Message boards do not necessarily have fans that are "representative" of the entire fan base.

It is sort of like reading a review of a product on CNET or Amazon. You have to take the relative number of positive reviews to negative reviews with a grain of salt, because people are far more likely to leave a negative review than a positive review because their expectations have not been met. The same lack of representativeness is manifest on message boards.

Message boards have "real fans", no doubt.

Message boards do not necessarily have fans that are "representative" of the entire fan base.

It is sort of like reading a review of a product on CNET or Amazon. You have to take the relative number of positive reviews to negative reviews with a grain of salt, because people are far more likely to leave a negative review than a positive review because their expectations have not been met. The same lack of representativeness is manifest on message boards.

good point, well said.

While I have some game day coaching and overall philosophy questions with KF, particularly about certain coordinators, I think as a person, he's a very solid person. His family isn't loathed, Mary is a great lady, with nice kids.
Alford isn't worthy to clean the Ferentz family outhouse. Trailer Park Queen Tanya and his kids were total jerks- 1st hand experience with my younger son.

i thought the alfords were very likable people on a personal level.

i've never heard anyone say that. in fact, i've heard more than a couple first hand accounts at how big of a ***** he was from the first day he got here.

edit: p r i c k is censored? interesting

Or for instance have kirk ferentz order a new lawn and garden tractor and then when billed for it ask "do you know who I am?"

Latest posts