Gregory is Barta's #1 guy - full buyout and $2M/year

Just got text from my source:

"Brian Gregory is Barta's #1 guy...but wants long term contract with full buyout and $2M/year"

Take for what it is worth but I believe it. Question is, is he worth it?

Ladys and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Marty Tirell.

Would Brian Gregory really be worth $2M/yr and the 3rd highest paid coach in the B10? I would say not.

1. Thad Matta, Ohio State, $2.5 million, according to the Associated Press and other sources when he received a raise in September 2007.
2. Tom Crean, Indiana, average of $2.36 million through 2018, according to the Indianapolis Star and other sources.
3. Tubby Smith, Minnesota, more than $1.8 million annually based on a $13 million, seven-year contract, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune and other sources.
4. Tom Izzo, Michigan State, $1.7 million, according to Fox News and and other sources.
5. John Beilein, Michigan, $1.3 million, according to multiple sources when he signed in April 2007.
6. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin, $1.25 million, according to multiple sources when he received a raise in April 2007.
7. Todd Lickliter, Iowa, $1.2 million, according to his contract, which can be found on the internet divided into base pay ($650,000) and public relations/camps/TV-radio/apparel ($550,000).
8. Bill Carmody, Northwestern, more than $1.1 million, according to the school’s 2007 990 tax form (available online) and a report at charitynavigator.org, which quoted his salary at $1,132,965 as of March 2007.
9. Weber, $1 million, according to the university.
10. Matt Painter, Purdue, $843,000, according to the Indianapolis Star.
11. Ed DeChellis, Penn State, $500,000, according to the web site coacheshotseat.com

I would pay $2 mil for coaches 1,2,3,4 & 6 on that list. None of the rest. And I would not pay that much for Gregory.

That being said, Barta liking Gregory seems likely...his team is still playing, so Iowa's search keeps going on. Dayton's next game is Tuesday, with a possible NIT title game Thursday

I would pay $2 mil for coaches 1,2,3,4 & 6 on that list. None of the rest. And I would not pay that much for Gregory.

That being said, Barta liking Gregory seems likely...his team is still playing, so Iowa's search keeps going on. Dayton's next game is Tuesday, with a possible NIT title game Thursday

Just curious, why not Painter on that "2 mil" list, Jon?

Sorry,but Gregory is overpricing himself.
He does not have a record to command that kind of cash.
I liked him,but if true....just hire Forbes for half that amount and build a good staff around him with some sweetners.

"Brian Gregory is Barta's #1 guy...but wants long term contract with full buyout and $2M/year"

Aren't you the same guy on Twitter that said Lickliter was getting an extension? You had a source then too right? You need to check your 'sources' again instead of just running around from Hawkeye site to Hawkeye site putting that sort of stuff out there. Come on now seriously.

Look, I like what I saw from Dayton in last night's NIT game against Bruce Weber and I would be comfortable with Barta introducing him next week wearing a black and gold tie. Gregory coaches an exciting, up-and-down-the-floor style of play that has been missing from CHA for many years and that would likely excite the Iowa fan base. He clearly is able to get ATHLETES to come to Dayton. I don't think any Iowa player (or recruit) would be able to bench press more or clock a faster time than the starters for Dayton.

From a video on the Dayton athletics site it appears that Gregory is well-liked and respected in the university community. And Stormin pointed out in another thread that ALL of his players stick around and graduate.

My enthusiasm is tempered by Dayton's tendency to fold at the end of games. They held on last night but the Illini made a late-game run that (apparently) has been common in Flyer games. Further, would Gregory be accepted in Iowa and especially by the Iowa high school programs? I don't know.

Also, we were watching his team play in the NIT, not the NCAAs.

Unless Barta comes up with a bigger name, I'm reverting back to Steve Forbes (geez, I feel like a hooker during Fleet Week.)

Last edited:

I asked my boss of 2 mil and total buyout too.. I settled for somewhat less lol..

If we paid him that kind of money with full buyout Barta should be committed.... thats nuts for a guy with that kind of record.. on the other hand the guy has balls the size of bballs for asking it with a straight face..

Gregory has done nothing to justify that kind of salary.

I wouldn't want him even if it would only cost us a million per year.

Seperated at birth?

0708_midseason.jpg

Brian Gregory

hoosiers20.jpg

Shooter

Look, $2 Million is going to be the going rate. It is rumored DePaul is going to pay over $2 Million for their next coach and Oregon will pay $4 Million for their new coach.

The bottom line is Gregory would be a great coach at Iowa. He's very charismatic, would represent the University very well and understands what it takes to compete in the Big 10.

Once he's signed at Iowa (which IMO will be next week) everyone here will enjoy his enthusiasm and personality. We will be very lucky to get a guy like this and he is definitely the anti-Lick.

$2 million for the Dayton coach? Not likely. $2 million for Dixon/Drew -- Sure.

This.

$2 Million for a mid-major guy. That's alot of coin for someone who's never coached in the Big Ten, SEC, etc. I'd rather go with Forbes for half that price (or less). Considering how badly Forbes seems to want the job, you might be able to get him for 6 figures annually.

This would be like the Cubs paying a career .500 pitcher $12 million per year. Maybe a bad analogy, but the point is that we don't need to grossly overpay for someone who isn't proven.

I can see $1.5, maybe 1.7'ish, but not $2m and not with a full buyout. That would be complete BS given how Iowa's buyouts are structured and it would probably require amending Kirk's deal to provide the same, because he doesn't have that sweet a deal for a buyout right now. (Of course, it's probably a moot point in his case.)

However, if there's anything to this--and my bet on that is "no", it would likely be only an opening negotiating position and if so, it's on the high side but not absurd.

Barbee got $1.5 at Auburn for six years, and he doesn't have the resume Gregory does IMO. That's just the going rate for a solid MM coach jumping to the big time right now. We are not going to get Gregory for what we paid Lick, regadless of how their backgrounds compare.

And for the record, Lick was making $1.3M.

Latest posts