Gregory is Barta's #1 guy - full buyout and $2M/year

I should clarify, I'm sure he would be worth $1 million. Probably more than that.

What I'm saying is I don't want him to be our coach. No matter how cheap we could get him. I will get behind the hire 100 percent if Barta hires him, I'm just hoping for someone besides Gregory.

2 things:

1) My guess is Gregory would come for less. If he is indeed interested, he is negotiating to get the best deal possible.

2) Iowa is going to have to overpay to get a coach with credentials. While Iowa isn't a bad job, it is a risky job right now. There is a lot of rebuilding to do. Todd Lickliter was national coach of the year before he came here and he fell flat on his face. We are going to have to sweeten the pot to get someone to take that risk.

For a Coach making 750,000K at Dayton to request $2M a year. That would be quite ballsy. If this really happened, I hope Barta got up and walked away never to look back.

No way Gregory should be getting paid $2M a year with his record at Dayton.

The problem with giving him a big old contract is if he fails we might end up in ISU territory. $2 million seems like a lot for a guy that has been to 2 NCAA tournaments in 7 years. Overall, his resume look about the same as Lickliter's though he's been an assistant at a top program and is probably a better recruiter. Still I'm skeptical that in a league full of great coaches he will be able to get this done. Why not just bring him in at around 1.5 and then give him big bonuses for making the tourney, finishing in the top 3 in the conference, etc. I'd still rather have Forbes.

Ryno you are so full of it. Every time you hear something from your "source" it just happens to be minutes after the exact same thing is posted on the premium forum at Hawkeye Report. Just give it up already.

2 things:

2) Iowa is going to have to overpay to get a coach with credentials. While Iowa isn't a bad job, it is a risky job right now. There is a lot of rebuilding to do. Todd Lickliter was national coach of the year before he came here and he fell flat on his face. We are going to have to sweeten the pot to get someone to take that risk.

If we are going to overpay, then let's overpay for someone who has proven that they are worth overpaying for. I'd rather overpay and pay $3-$4 million for someone like Drew, Pearl, Dixon, etc. than to overpay and give $2 million for a mid-major guy. If we're going to go overboard, then let's go all the way with it and get it right. :D

If we are going to overpay, then let's overpay for someone who has proven that they are worth overpaying for. I'd rather overpay and pay $3-$4 million for someone like Drew, Pearl, Dixon, etc. than to overpay and give $2 million for a mid-major guy. If we're going to go overboard, then let's go all the way with it and get it right. :D

Hey, I'm with ya! My biggest worry is we get too cheap and end up in the same situation 4-5 years from now. However, I would be happy with Gregory

I would counter that maybe a 1.7 and every tourney apperence gets a bonus of 150k + 25% increase for a 1st round win and a 50% increase with each win after that and an automatic 50k base salary increase the following year after making the tourny 100k increase if it is an Elite Eight or better. if he wins 1 game the 1st year he makes it it would come out to be 1.87 million.

I agree. Gregory is a good coach but what has he done that makes him good to the tune of 2 mil?

I have a source very close to Tom Kakert* who is saying the same thing as Ryno.

*very, very close

I thought one of the "Criteria" was that the new coach will have competed for Championships? I guess BG's current NIT run qualifies him then huh?

I will not be happy if this goes down

It's unreal that he keeps passing this stuff off as coming from one of his "sources".

I don't visit HR so if this is true then my source is getting this from HR before it's posted and then letting me know or he could be the poster of this info!

Please don't bag on me. I'm just passing on info because it is of interest and being that this guy played for Iowa, I have a tendency to believe it more than something my dog just $h!t!

Last edited:
I don't visit HR so if this is true then my source is getting this from HR before it's posted and then letting me know or he could be the poster of this info!

Please don't bag on me. I'm just passing on info because it is of interest and being that this guy played for Iowa, I have a tendency to believe it more than something my dog just $h!t!

Sure.

Your source isn't the poster on HR because it's been a different guy every time you hear something from him. Either you're reading it on there and passing it off as your "source" or your "source" is just a reader on HR. It's like clockwork, every time something notable is posted there you hear it from your "source" 5-10 minutes later. Just be honest.

There is no way Iowa pays top dollar for Gregory. He has done nothing special, other that being an Izzo boy. How'd that Coach K connection do for Michigan during 6 years of Amaker.

Latest posts