Greg Davis is coming back next season

Why would GD want to come back if it's the relationship you guys describe being force fed the playbook for a struggling offense??

The answer to your question is simple. No other program would have taken him. His reputation after he was let go at Texas was awful. Only KF would hire this guy in D1.

Both of them need to get over their huge egos and retire for the good of college football.

Er... Iowa's yards per game were 4th in the 16 years of the KF era and 7th in points per game in the KF era in 2014. What are you talking about? Getting worse?

And how was this season's Wins and Losses in the 16 years of the KF era? 7-5 come in 4th? 17 points against an ISU that managed all of 1 other win all year good for 7th?

It's about the W's & L's, not the meaningless statistical dribble. It's easy to rack up garbage yardage at the end of the game when your QB is only trying for 3 yard completions, rather than trying to win the game.

And who hired Norm and who did Adrian sign his letter of intent to play for?

Look I get it, Kirk has many flaws but it drives me crazy that people want to put the fault on him when the offense fails but then all the credit to Norm for the D.
Kirk himself said he spends more time in the offensive coaches room than he does in the defensive one.

Iba - I have to agree with Cory. And I can say that I've been in the stands feeling crushed after a Orange Bowl loss. Please do not hang onto a five year old "Bowl Championship" win against an ACC team as hope for a 180 turn-a-round.....not happening with such sorry a** recruiting and coaching philosophies....no how, no way!!!

And how was this season's Wins and Losses in the 16 years of the KF era? 7-5 come in 4th? 17 points against an ISU that managed all of 1 other win all year good for 7th?

It's about the W's & L's, not the meaningless statistical dribble. It's easy to rack up garbage yardage at the end of the game when your QB is only trying for 3 yard completions, rather than trying to win the game.
I want to get some dopey posters to backpedal from their unsubstantiated notion that KOK's offense was/is better than GDGD's offense.

You want to know how we got to 7-5 in the regular season? I agree the ISU game, the second game of the season, was on the offense. Why is the ISU game the one you dopes point to as THE indicator of Iowa's 'mediocrity' last season? Why not the points the D gave up against Maryland? Against Nebraska? Against Minnesota (both Iowa offense and Iowa defense crapped out in the Minnesota game)? Against Wisconsin? Almost losing to UNI 'cause of Iowa's less than vaunted D?

The D had a lot to do with Iowa's 7-5 record this season. Even more so when you consider KF prefers a game manager's offense. If the defense isn't dominant (as Iowa's D wasn't this season) and you employ a game manager's offense, you don't win many games.

Place the blame on the head coach for Iowa's mediocre performance. Where it belongs.

Last edited:
Why would GD want to come back if it's the relationship you guys describe being force fed the playbook for a struggling offense??

Where is here going to go from Iowa? He was already bounced from Texas. Next stop would have to be at an Iowa conference school.

Iba - I have to agree with Cory. And I can say that I've been in the stands feeling crushed after a Orange Bowl loss. Please do not hang onto a five year old "Bowl Championship" win against an ACC team as hope for a 180 turn-a-round.....not happening with such sorry a** recruiting and coaching philosophies....no how, no way!!!

Let me try and better explain where I'm coming from.

First off... Whatever the program is doing now is not working and there needs to be an immediate change.

Kirk may indeed end up being the issue but Barta isn't going to make that change, at least not yet.

Now some believe that the change that needs to be made is the QB. As I stated, I don't believe CJ is the answer.

So I was hanging onto hope that the change that would be made is the OC. I look back at the regression of Vandeberg. A sputtering offense that really hasn't seemed to every get going. Our best WR don't get enough targets.

For all these reasons I wanted GD gone.

May I suggest Retirement..:)

Right which goes back to my point for those that think he only runs what Kirk allows.

if you were at a point in your career that you could retire comfortably and had a boss that was making you do things you didn't agree with... Would you stay??

So if that is the way some of you view the relationship he has with Kirk... Why would he stay? I think it's safe to say he's made enough $$. Over the years as a D1 OC at major programs.

I want to get some dopey posters to backpedal from their unsubstantiated notion that KOK's offense was/is better than GDGD's offense.

You want to know how we got to 7-5 in the regular season? I agree the ISU game, the second game of the season, was on the offense. Why is the ISU game the one you dopes point to as THE indicator of Iowa's 'mediocrity' last season? Why not the points the D gave up against Maryland? Against Nebraska? Against Minnesota (both Iowa offense and Iowa defense crapped out in the Minnesota game)? Against Wisconsin? Almost losing to UNI 'cause of Iowa's less than vaunted D?

The D had a lot to do with Iowa's 7-5 record this season. Even more so should be on the defense when you consider KF prefers a game manager's offense. If the defense isn't dominant (as Iowa's D wasn't this season) and you employ a game manager's offense, you don't win many games.

Place the blame on the head coach for Iowa's mediocre performance. Where it belongs.

You just don't get it, you constantly want to put blame on the Defense. What a JOKE.. You really need to stop with this rhetoric, it's getting old and shows a complete lack of intelligence.. The fact you keep mentioning the Minnesota game is most ridiculous..

You just don't get it, you constantly want to put blame on the Defense. What a JOKE.. You really need to stop with this rhetoric, it's getting old and shows a complete lack of intelligence.. The fact you keep mentioning the Minnesota game is most ridiculous..

I would say the blame is pretty darn equal all the way around.

Pretty obvious GD is calling what Kurt wants. How many times has GD said both QBs would be in a game? Two that I can remember. How many of those games had two QBs playing? Zero. GD asked for more speed at the WR position. Iowa recruited some faster receivers and presumably (by posters of HN) gave up some lineman recruits in the process. One of those WR recruits has left the team. A QB will follow. Further recruitment of speedy WRs will be hindered because of the leavings. Another situation where GD asked for something and isn't going to get it.

Pretty obvious GD is calling what Kurt wants. How many times has GD said both QBs would be in a game? Two that I can remember. How many of those games had two QBs playing? Zero. GD asked for more speed at the WR position. Iowa recruited some faster receivers and presumably (by posters of HN) gave up some lineman recruits in the process. One of those WR recruits has left the team. A QB will follow. Further recruitment of speedy WRs will be hindered because of the leavings. Another situation where GD asked for something and isn't going to get it.

Not arguing that Homer.. Most everyone knows KF is controlling the purse strings..

However at 63 years old Davis isn't the guy I want at OC either.. KF isn't calling everything and GD offensive philosophy has been implemented so he has had some say.

Pretty obvious GD is calling what Kurt wants. How many times has GD said both QBs would be in a game? Two that I can remember. In how many of those games did two QBs play? Zero. I predict CJ plays little to not at all in the TaxSlayer Bowl. CJ is just too active in non-Iowa football related activities, right now. So, I predict it will be 3 expressions by GD, this season, for 2 QBs in a game with zero actual results of 2 QBs.

GD asked for more speed at the WR position. Iowa recruited some faster receivers and presumably (by posters of HN) gave up some lineman recruits in the process. One of those WR recruits has left the team. A QB will follow. Further recruitment of speedy WRs will be hindered because of the leavings. Another situation where GD asked for something and isn't going to get it.

Ultimately, all I'm saying, here, is that GD has a better offensive mind than Kurt. Why does Kurt control the offense?

Last edited:
The top team KF ever had was 2002 with a great offense and a good defense. He has become a defensive coach on offense which means he attempts to do nothing but change field position.

I still believe that if KF could just field a top 50 offense and keep his defensive scheme then Iowa could easily take the drivers seat in the Big West.

Sadly the game has passed him by and the program will go into nuclear winter for a couple years after he leaves the cupboard empty.

Latest posts