Greg Davis is coming back next season

Greg Davis is not the problem. He is a yes man to captain clueless until he promotes Brian to OC. Davis wants CJ at qb, much like KOK wanted Stanzi over JC. Ferentz is the problem with Iowa football, it begins and ends with him.

Where has GD ever said he wanted CJ as the starter? He has never lobbied for him or gone to bat for CJ at all. As a matter of fact when CJ did get series GD would run the dumbest of plays, like he WANTED CJ to fail.....options, hand off, rarely called a pass play for him. IF GD wanted him as the starter, he would have stayed the starter after the Purdue game.

This has been my contention for several weeks now. kfootball doesn't have the goodwill to promote BF after this season. Plus, if things do not improve, BF's coaching reputation is insulated. Keep in mind that, with another season like 2014, the 2015 season could be the end of the for kfootball. He needs a contract extension no later than the end of the 2015 season so that he isn't a lame duck on the recruiting trails.

Oh boy, I can only imagine what will happen if Barta tries to extend him after next years inevitable 6th straight mediocre season.

Why would GD want to come back if it's the relationship you guys describe being force fed the playbook for a struggling offense??
Davis doesn't get all of the blame. Our offense struggles because we've got a QB that goes entirely cold for halves at a time, and we've had a FB at RB for most of the last three years. Could the playcalling be better? Yes. Could personnel decisions and recruiting be better? Yes, and those are on the head man.

If so, Kirk has officially lost my support.

I thought he would be smart enough to realize a change on offense was needed.

Fire Ferentz... First time I've ever typed that. Feels pretty good.

The change needed is at a certain offensive position with the letters Q and B in it.

Well, this is what we know...GD is coming back and so is the Cap't.....wanna guess what our "way too early record" will be? I'm sayin 5-7 right now and I'm not even drunk (yet)......:p

--------He needs a contract extension no later than the end of the 2015 season so that he isn't a lame duck on the recruiting trails.

I quit reading a thing after this.....my body froze up in a tight panic for nearly 10 minutes!

Why would KF Fire his yes man? KF knows deep down that the offense sucks because of himself. He knows he will always have the apologist crowd who will blame the OC and tell everyone that it isn't KF's fault.

Until the apologists realize that KF is the cause of all issues then nothing will change.

Apologist bonafides confirmed.

BTW, go back and look at the offensive rankings with KOK. They were pretty bad. Now they're just worse. Guess who is responsible for that pattern?

Whos responsible for winning an orange bowl?

call me an apologist if you want but yes I give Kirk some benefit of the doubt because I've been in the stands celebrating after an orange bowl win.

Offense is certainly one of Kirks weaknesses but he has some positives as well.

KF isn't accountable like many other coaches, because he has everyone convinced that Iowa is nothing more than a developmental program that sometimes overachieves. KF is a true master manipulator and got many buying into the the idea that Iowa will never, ever be a real true football power. How many times you hear KF talking about winning??? He truly is convinced it's more than just wins/losses.

This was said in Sept of 2014 and he says it all the time. Did again this week prior to the bowl game.. KF lays this out there for you, the media and everyone so to lessen the blowback. KF thinkgs we are who we are just little ole Iowa please stop expecting so much..

Head coach Kirk Ferentz added another layer to those realities. He believes his Iowa program is a “developmental” program and, thusly, he wants to use the non-conference as a “break-in” period. In other words, he doesn’t believe his team is, beyond a few examples, ready for a giant stage in September.
“If you look at how we recruit and the nature of our recruiting, that’s representative of our whole program,” Ferentz said. “Players get better as their seasons go on, as their careers go on.
“If you’re one of those schools who can get a bunch of four- and five-star recruits, you can play about whomever you feel like playing.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ferentz-commends-seniors-stick-iowa/21117495/

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...a-hawkeyes-take-moneyball-approach-recruiting

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/3-and-out-20140904

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/development-remains-the-template-20141231

Last edited:
The change needed is at a certain offensive position with the letters Q and B in it.

I disagree. I think you all would be disappointed if you put CJ at QB.

I think he's undersized to be a runner and an injury waiting to happen. If forced to be a pocket passer, he wouldn't fit the bill.

Granted he's a better option than, Jake, not by much but for those of you thinking he's the savior of our terrible offense, CJ is not that guy.

call me an apologist if you want but yes I give Kirk some benefit of the doubt because I've been in the stands celebrating after an orange bowl win.

Iba, I appreciate your positive feelings about KF and his Orange Bowl win but I don't think you will ever have that feeling again while he is at Iowa.

If he proves me wrong then I will eat crow and be the happiest Hawkeye fan around but if the past is any judge then Iowa will be crappy for most of the next 6 years.

Iba, I appreciate your positive feelings about KF and his Orange Bowl win but I don't think you will ever have that feeling again while he is at Iowa.

If he proves me wrong then I will eat crow and be the happiest Hawkeye fan around but if the past is any judge then Iowa will be crappy for most of the next 6 years.

That very well could be. I also want to point out that I knew Kirk wasn't going anywhere being under contract til 2020.

I still held out hope he would make a change at OC. I'm not certain that even fixes the problem but I figured it couldn't hurt since I knew Kirk wasn't going at this point and time.

I would say mostly Norm Parker and Adrian Clayborn.

I would say mostly Norm Parker and Adrian Clayborn.

And who hired Norm and who did Adrian sign his letter of intent to play for?

Look I get it, Kirk has many flaws but it drives me crazy that people want to put the fault on him when the offense fails but then all the credit to Norm for the D.

Apologist bonafides confirmed.

BTW, go back and look at the offensive rankings with KOK. They were pretty bad. Now they're just worse. Guess who is responsible for that pattern?
Er... Iowa's yards per game were 4th in the 16 years of the KF era and 7th in points per game in the KF era in 2014. What are you talking about? Getting worse?

If Iowa had some semblance of a running game this year, the record would be a lot better than 7-5. That's not on Davis.

If KF played CJ, that would have been even better.

Don't think that Davis is a big a factor in this season as people would like to believe.

Just would like 1 difference - fewer receivers in the rotation..and a scheme that provided better integration of the jet sweep.

With all due respect Hawker;
I think Davis's horizontal scheme is a big part of the offensive problems. Without a doubt, verticals routes have to be used to open things up. I also feel that his system worked for him at Texas because he had athletes to run it (someone who can consistently turn a 5-7yd catch into a 12-20yd gain).

No offense to the OP, but I've heard on a couple different podcasts that GDGD would likely be gone after the year.

Last edited:

Latest posts