Greg Davis as OC?

thejumper5

That's the rumor of the day. Davis was the OC at Texas from 1998-2010. He was scapegoated for the Longhorns' losing season in '10 and resigned.

i will say this. If all the stuff about tom moore and greg davis are true it shows ferentz is thinking outside the box for the O.C. position. Good stuff. Nobody should have a complaint then. Either one of those hires would be interesting.

As long as he hires someone before the first game. That would be nice. It helps to know what the plays are before the game begins. Since they got rid of the grass at Kinnick, Vandenberg wouldn't be able to draw up the plays in the dirt, so, you know, having some plays they practice before the game will be helpful.

I thought O'Keefe outclassed him in the Alamo Bowl. Oh well, he can count on having players the caliber of Vince Young if he comes to Iowa, we land guys like that all the time.

McCoy was solid, but I believe a lot of that was their system. I like the way that they adapted to the skillset of the QB's

I'm not sure how interested I am in him.....not that my opinion on the subject matters.....

Iowa is never going to get the "best of the best" in terms of players. I don't know how thrilled I'd be getting a guy who spent the last 12-13 years at a school where they always got the best of the best. It's not that difficult to put an offensive gameplan together when you have the likes of Ricky Williams, Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Cedric Benson, etc, etc.

In addition, I don't know that I want a "square peg in a round hole" guy like we had with O'Keefe. O'Keefe was a good OC and head coach, but his fortay was fast-paced, spread offenses....not two-back, two tightend, pro-style sets. From most of what I saw with Texas, they were not a qb under center, run-oriented offense.

In addition, I don't know that I want a "square peg in a round hole" guy like we had with O'Keefe. O'Keefe was a good OC and head coach, but his fortay was fast-paced, spread offenses....not two-back, two tightend, pro-style sets. From most of what I saw with Texas, they were not a qb under center, run-oriented offense.

That is an interesting interviewee. I am sure he would only get hired if he has a sound I formation pro-style background. I am sure with ricky williams and benson the first years mack the knife was at texas they ran plenty of lead fullback I formation plays.

Davis sure did well with the fast paced passing game then one bad year and, like I said, Mack the Knife 'cuts' him loose, NICE!!!

McCoy was solid, but I believe a lot of that was their system. I like the way that they adapted to the skillset of the QB's

Kurt is known for his adaptibility. Captain adaptity. The adapster. Adaptinator. Are some of the things I call kurt.

Last edited:
i will say this. If all the stuff about tom moore and greg davis are true it shows ferentz is thinking outside the box for the O.C. position. Good stuff. Nobody should have a complaint then. Either one of those hires would be interesting.

Didn't we say this in regards to D-Coordinator (Bradley, Hermann, etc.)?

I think we should just step away from the ledge until Kirk make's his announcement. Sometimes the messageboard speculation just wears you out.

I think we should just step away from the ledge until Kirk make's his announcement. Sometimes the messageboard speculation just wears you out.

I don't see anyone "on the ledge" yet with the names that have been thrown out there. I've seen, for the most part, opinions about fit, playcalling, experience, etc. Things you want a message board environment to do.

Didn't Davis run more of a spread style attack or was he mostly pro? Every time I recall watching a Texas game Colt McCoy and Vince Young always seemed to be passing from the shotgun

Peolpe in hell want ice water but they aint getting it. Sounds like it would be a good hire. But we all know KF isnt going outside the program to hire.

Latest posts