Greg Davis as OC?

Did this guy forget how to coach? Anyone compare 2010 to 2011 offenses at TX? How about when he coordinated the Tarheels' O to 10-1 and 10-2 seasons before he went to TX. How about the NC and Rose Bowl victories at TX?

A good article linked...interesting that he is a passing guy. From the linked article:

"I know what causes winning and losing," he said, his pitch rising. "Don't talk to me about running the ball, throwing the ball. That's the No. 1 factor."

Davis has built a career molding offenses, moving on

Did this guy forget how to coach? Anyone compare 2010 to 2011 offenses at TX? How about when he coordinated the Tarheels' O to 10-1 and 10-2 seasons before he went to TX. How about the NC and Rose Bowl victories at TX?

A good article linked...interesting that he is a passing guy. From the linked article:

"I know what causes winning and losing," he said, his pitch rising. "Don't talk to me about running the ball, throwing the ball. That's the No. 1 factor."

Doesn't sound like a good fit with Kirk, then.

And people say Ferentz won't think outside the box. I would be interested in hearing the substance of this interview. Ferentz obviously believes running the ball is important. Davis believes effective passing and scoring offense is the key to winning.

Maybe we have to bring in a passing OC. We can't seem to keep a RB around for any significant amount of time ;)

And people say Ferentz won't think outside the box. I would be interested in hearing the substance of this interview. Ferentz obviously believes running the ball is important. Davis believes effective passing and scoring offense is the key to winning.
Sounds like oil and water trying to mix.

Whether or not its Davis, Moore or someone else, most of these guys are football coaches. This isn't like having them come in and expecting them to learn a foreign language. Guys like Moore coached singled wing football once upon a time and guys like Davis played it.

Football is about adapting to your personnel, or finding a certain type of player to fit what you want to do.

Texas' offense under Vince Young was different than it was under Colt McCoy. Texas' offense under Vince Young was different than what it was under Major Applewhite.

People are surprised that a fan base got tired of an offensive coordinator? It's what happens when most of them don't want to see the head coach go just yet...someBODY has to be offered up to appease the football gods and the OC is almost always target 1A. ..unless you choose to run the 3-3-5 at Michigan, then it's the head coach.

As much as anything, whomever Ferentz brings in is going to break the tendencies Iowa has had on certain downs and distances over the course of the last 13 years. That will be the biggest single change that will take place in the Iowa offense, IMO, from KOK to whomever Kirk hires. We are not going to see a drastic makeover of the Iowa offense, and I don't think we should. Some tweaks will be nice, and we'll probably see that in some ways...but some of the differences will be hard to spot for most people.

Kirk is still likely to play the percentage game.

Steve Deace made a good point regarding Texas and ISU: ISU should never have a better running back than Texas. That was often true under Davis.

i will say this. If all the stuff about tom moore and greg davis are true it shows ferentz is thinking outside the box for the O.C. position. Good stuff. Nobody should have a complaint then. Either one of those hires would be interesting.

If KF actually makes an external hire it will show that he is thinking outside the box. He is more likely giving an interview just out of courtesy, and does not really intend to hire an outsider. Wait and see.

Steve Deace made a good point regarding Texas and ISU: ISU should never have a better running back than Texas. That was often true under Davis.

Totally agree with this. I think Texas had a problem shifting their offense around their personnel after McCoy left...McCoy was so accurate and the offense they ran basically used short swing passes as a running game, and their blocking schemes were changed, too. Tough to all of the sudden reset everyone to go a different route...

Which is why I have liked what Iowa has done on Offense and Defense during the Ferentz years...its the same thing from your first year on campus to your 5th. That lets players have a chance to stop thinking and start reacting, much earlier in their careers.

I hope there was questions about time management. That is something that the entire Hawkeye coaching staff lacked and cost them a few games over the last couple years.
I don't remember Texas having clock issues that didn't favor them.

What has been worse than clock mgmt for the Iowa offense?

I hope there was questions about time management. That is something that the entire Hawkeye coaching staff lacked and cost them a few games over the last couple years. I don't remember Texas having clock issues that didn't favor them. What has been worse than clock mgmt for the Iowa offense?

Besides taking a knee, or using a timeout, with time to play a quick drive as you describe, I would go with something very similar to the 3rd and 5 diagram as put forth above as evidence #1.

This was often true?

I would like to see that argument on paper. I don't believe 1998 - 2010 that ISU had better RB's most of the time.

Steve makes some great points and I think that he leverages hyperbole well. I agree, mostly, that ISU shouldn't have a better RB than Texas, but I am not buying that it was often true without seeing the numbers.

Even in years where it may have been true I don't see it as being out of the realm of possibility specifically because of their QB play. Two examples come to mind, specifically:

1. It would actually make sense a RB from ISU could have outperformed Texas RB's when Young was running the offense, because he took a fair share of the offensive production on his shoulders.

2. It would also make sense that RB's at Texas under McCoy would have suffered statistically some because they had an offense predicated on the pass.

So, off the cuff, I get the comment, but realistically it isn't that far-fetched.

I can think of several great backs who played in the League under Brown/Davis. Name one back who played in the league for ISU....ever? Deace needs to think before he talks.

This was often true?

I would like to see that argument on paper. I don't believe 1998 - 2010 that ISU had better RB's most of the time.

Steve makes some great points and I think that he leverages hyperbole well. I agree, mostly, that ISU shouldn't have a better RB than Texas, but I am not buying that it was often true without seeing the numbers.

Even in years where it may have been true I don't see it as being out of the realm of possibility specifically because of their QB play. Two examples come to mind, specifically:

1. It would actually make sense a RB from ISU could have outperformed Texas RB's when Young was running the offense, because he took a fair share of the offensive production on his shoulders.

2. It would also make sense that RB's at Texas under McCoy would have suffered statistically some because they had an offense predicated on the pass.

So, off the cuff, I get the comment, but realistically it isn't that far-fetched.

Let's look at who the top running back was for each team during each year of Davis' tenure at Texas. The guy I think is "better" is in bold.

1998--UT-Ricky Williams ISU-Darren Davis
1999--UT-Hodges Mitchell ISU-Darren Davis
2000--UT-Hodges Mitchell ISU-Ennis Haywood
2001--UT-Cedric Benson ISU-Ennis Haywood (Only because Haywood was a senior and Benson was a freshman)
2002--UT-Cedric Benson ISU-Hiawatha Rutland
2003--UT-Cedric Benson ISU-Stevie Hicks
2004--UT-Cedric Benson ISU-Stevie Hicks
2005--UT-Jamaal Charles ISU-Stevie Hicks
2006--UT-Jamaal Charles ISU-Stevie Hicks
2007--UT-Jamaal Charles ISU-Alexander Robinson
2008--UT-Vondrell McGee ISU-Alexander Robinson
2009--UT-Tre Newton ISU-Alexander Robinson
2010--UT-Cody Johnson ISU-Alexander Robinson

I would add that arguably the only reason that Robinson would be ahead of Texas' backs from those three seasons is that Robinson was consistently used in a system that played to his strengths. If he swapped places with the others, I could see any one of them out-performing him. So yeah, I disagree with Deace on this one.

Latest posts