Greg Davis as OC?

Still curious if John Shoop former North Carolina OC and NFL guy has ever gotten interviewed or is even interested?

The guy is really intense, really smart and pretty successful.

He fits in because he's a pro-style OC and QB coach, yet may have moved around too much for Kirk.

I probably generally agree with your assessment of those RB's without looking at injuries and other related factors...the debate isn't worth the effort and I think it generally backs up my comments.

Like I said, hyperbole is common with Deace. I don't know what his exact words are, but I can probably agree with the general point regarding Texas RB's compared to ISU.

Just looking at the list, and thanks for the work that I was too lazy to do, if I remember right Texas has also has some OL blocking issues in that 2008 - 2010 stretch as well.

Alexander Robinson was darn good. I will give him that, and my guess is Deace's comment was more specific to that particular stretch, if anything. No question Texas had its problems throughout the Davis years.

Thanks for doing that, btw.

Still curious if John Shoop former North Carolina OC and NFL guy has ever gotten interviewed or is even interested?

The guy is really intense, really smart and pretty successful.

He fits in because he's a pro-style OC and QB coach, yet may have moved around too much for Kirk.

The big issue with Shoop is that he was at UNC with Butch Davis and was (at least peripherally) a part of the scandals they had there the last few years. As good a coach as he may be, I highly doubt Iowa would bring in anyone with that sort of baggage.

Totally agree with this. I think Texas had a problem shifting their offense around their personnel after McCoy left...McCoy was so accurate and the offense they ran basically used short swing passes as a running game, and their blocking schemes were changed, too. Tough to all of the sudden reset everyone to go a different route...

Which is why I have liked what Iowa has done on Offense and Defense during the Ferentz years...its the same thing from your first year on campus to your 5th. That lets players have a chance to stop thinking and start reacting, much earlier in their careers.

This used to be called the west coast offense.

This made me smile: Replace University of Texas OC/QB Coach Greg Davis Petition

We think there's a "fishbowl" in Iowa, we talk about message board overreactions, we pile on Ken O'Keefe, but the worst Iowa fans AREN'T EVEN CLOSE to the negativity you'll find in the SEC and Texas. Texas fans in 2010 hired an airplane to circle the stadium with a banner "Greg Davis Is Not Our Standard".

As for me, I think Davis would be a terrific hire. He was national assistant of the year in 2005, and never finished lower than 16th nationally in offense, prior to 2010. I don't think he suddenly got stupid.

And it's not like our fans would be motivated to hire a plane to fly around with a banner, so win - win.

I heard that Davis is the real deal hire and will be announced here in the next couple days by friday maybe sooner

Maybe he'll be great. It's kind of a letdown after the talk of Moore though. Still wonder how this will affect Soup.

Espn picking it up posting link from phone sorry in advance.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=45826

I have heard mixed things about Davis. Sounds like he is a lot like KOK, and we all know how much we loved that. With all the talent he had at TX can he do the same with 3/4 star recruits? Will KF give him the reigns?

A lot of unknows. Regardless, with the latest hires we have to have a OC that can coach QB's as we have no more slots on staff.

I probably generally agree with your assessment of those RB's without looking at injuries and other related factors...the debate isn't worth the effort and I think it generally backs up my comments.

Like I said, hyperbole is common with Deace. I don't know what his exact words are, but I can probably agree with the general point regarding Texas RB's compared to ISU.

Just looking at the list, and thanks for the work that I was too lazy to do, if I remember right Texas has also has some OL blocking issues in that 2008 - 2010 stretch as well.

Alexander Robinson was darn good. I will give him that, and my guess is Deace's comment was more specific to that particular stretch, if anything. No question Texas had its problems throughout the Davis years.

Thanks for doing that, btw.

My basic point, paraphrasing Deace since I got the idea from him, was that Texas has had too many underperforming RBs. I don't think that meshes well with Iowa. I don't want to get off topic arguing whether Deace was right; I just don't think Davis is the guy for us.

Latest posts