Greatest Player in Iowa FB History (and you can't vote for Kinnick)

Duncan was on two teams that won Rose Bowls. He lead one team to a Rose Bowl win. The point is, whether it's you or some idiot on wiki, let's not exaggerate what he did in a conversation about greatest of all time. There is a distinction to be made, like it or not.

If there's a distinction why don't you make it. Until you make a compelling argument against Duncan he's the winner.

If there's a distinction why don't you make it. Until you make a compelling argument against Duncan he's the winner.

I am not arguing for or against Duncan. That's not the point. If I were arguing against I'd be quicker to point out the fact he almost picked up his bags and quit to go play at Iowa State.

I did make the distinction...if you want to ignore it, that's fine. I could care less.

I can't decide between long and sanders. In my eyes they both helped define different eras of Iowa football. To me Sanders just brought this tone for our defenses that re-defined our image for many years to come and I see Long as doing the same thing for the offense. Both could change the game with one play. I think I may lean toward Long because he and Hayden helped to usher in a new era of the Big Ten

I've already picked Duke Slater for many reasons. But Randy Duncan would probably be my favorite that I actually watched play. Many don't remember that in those days, players had to go both ways. I was really impressed by the fact that he was an outstanding defensive back & I'm sure that contributed to his Huisman votes.

Duncan was on two teams that won Rose Bowls. He lead one team to a Rose Bowl win. The point is, whether it's you or some idiot on wiki, let's not exaggerate what he did in a conversation about greatest of all time. There is a distinction to be made, like it or not.

This is correct.

I can't pick a best player. But my top 3 would be Kinnick, Long and Sanders.

Joke that someone would say stanzi not even top five at the position. Those will want to post his win record make sure post how many defensive players and offensive lineman are in the nfl and overall defensive ranks his years at qb.

shonn-greene.jpg

Randy Duncan. National Champion, Big Ten Champion, 2-time Rose Bowl Champion, #1 Draft Pick, 1st Team All-American! Nobody can top that in the history of Hawkeye Football!

Chuck Long. Four years of great football at the most important position. Made us relevant year in and year out and brought legitimacy to Fry's program, national #1 ranking, Rose Bowl, Heisman race, big time national tv exposure when it wasn't as everywhere as it is today, excitement on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of great Hawks going back to the Ironmen...but my vote is for Long for the reasons listed.

That would be so hard to come up with.

My short list:

Alex Karras, Dallas Clark, Reggie Roby, Mark Bortz, Andre Tippett, and Larry Station.

Of those who could play across generations: Andre Tippett.

Latest posts