Greatest Player in Iowa FB History (and you can't vote for Kinnick)

I would probably vote for Long or Sanders as well. I always loved watchin Sedrick Shaw so he gets an honorable mention vote from me.

Reggie Roby. Good call. The Nate Kaeding of the Hayden Era.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Reggie. How often do you see a punter punt the ball 70 yards in the air? Funny no one mentioned Shonn Green. I would have to choose Chuck Long hands down though. He would have Stanzi's lunch.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Reggie. How often do you see a punter punt the ball 70 yards in the air? Funny no one mentioned Shonn Green. I would have to choose Chuck Long hands down though. He would have Stanzi's lunch.

Roby basically "won" the 1981 game at Wisconsin. He put two or three punts inside the 20 when the Hawks were starting to look a bit shaky and stagnating on the O side of the ball.
And they weren't "coffin corner" punts, they were from close to or behing our OWN 20-yard line.

Hold on, son. Good as Chuck Long was, he had poise no greater than Stanzi. Better as a QB? Sure. Better as a leader? Probably not.

Stanzi could shake off a bad play better than any Hawkeye QB in the Hayden/KF Era.
Nothing against Stanzi, I really liked everything he accomplished at Iowa and yes, he was a great leader. But if you really want to compare him to Chuck Long, well, let's do it.

You can talk poise all you want, but there was never a game that Long played where he looked at the end of the game like Stanzi did against Wisconsin his senior year. There were probably a couple of other occasions that we could come up with similar to that, but this isn't meant to bad mouth Stanzi, just to point out that there was a difference between the two. And overall, it wasn't just a real small difference.

And THAT is the difference between the two. And make no mistake, there is a discernible difference between the two. On top of it all, Long played his first two years at probably the same level that Stanzi played his last two. At bare minimum he Long played his first two seasons at a significantly higher level than Stanzi did in his first two. Then Long played his last two seasons at a level above Stanzi's best level.

So, to be sure, there was a difference between the two. That doesn't denigrate anything Stanzi accomplished. That's just a testament to how good Long was.

Nothing against Stanzi, I really liked everything he accomplished at Iowa and yes, he was a great leader. But if you really want to compare him to Chuck Long, well, let's do it.

You can talk poise all you want, but there was never a game that Long played where he looked at the end of the game like Stanzi did against Wisconsin his senior year. There were probably a couple of other occasions that we could come up with similar to that, but this isn't meant to bad mouth Stanzi, just to point out that there was a difference between the two. And overall, it wasn't just a real small difference.

And THAT is the difference between the two. And make no mistake, there is a discernible difference between the two. On top of it all, Long played his first two years at probably the same level that Stanzi played his last two. At bare minimum he Long played his first two seasons at a significantly higher level than Stanzi did in his first two. Then Long played his last two seasons at a level above Stanzi's best level.

So, to be sure, there was a difference between the two. That doesn't denigrate anything Stanzi accomplished. That's just a testament to how good Long was.

Long had that "look" in the OSU game in 1985. He was lost.

That said, I am not saying Long wasn't better. I AM saying that Stanzi isn't that far behind him.

Tie between Duncan jones and long...each have their own qualities...how do you even say one's better than the other... Duncan may have the best case though

There are so many great ones. This thread got me to thinking about how much Dwight impacted a game. He was huge on special teams. You think another Hawkeye has had more impact on field position every game? If they didn't kick it to him, they kicked it short or kicked it out of bounds.

And an all-conference receiver that opened the field up for other players due to the attention he received. And he played some defensive back, too.

Josh Koeppel for taking on a pickup and winning.
Ronnie Harmon: greatest actor ever on the entire Iowa campus.

Tie between Duncan jones and long...each have their own qualities...how do you even say one's better than the other... Duncan may have the best case though

He won two Rose Bowls correct? Runner-up in Heisman votes and 1st overall selection in the draft?

If these statements are all correct I don't see much argument against Duncan. He certainly outshines Long, imo.

He won two Rose Bowls correct? Runner-up in Heisman votes and 1st overall selection in the draft?

If these statements are all correct I don't see much argument against Duncan. He certainly outshines Long, imo.

He won a Rose Bowl and was a backup on another Rose Bowl champ. In that Rose Bowl, he had to play a little bit in the 2nd quarter because of an injury to starting QB Kenny Ploen (who was 9/10 passing in the game and had a 49 yd TD run). Ploen actually had a great 1956, his only year as a starter. He was that era's Brad Banks, coming onto the scene hot, leading the Hawkeyes to an historically fantastic season, garnering some big praise (9th in the Heisman vote, Big Ten POY), but not doing much in the pros.

Here's a story about the 1957 Rose Bowl game:
The Rose Bowl 1957

There are so many great ones. This thread got me to thinking about how much Dwight impacted a game. He was huge on special teams. You think another Hawkeye has had more impact on field position every game? If they didn't kick it to him, they kicked it short or kicked it out of bounds.

And an all-conference receiver that opened the field up for other players due to the attention he received. And he played some defensive back, too.

Dwight may be closest to Kinnick in terms of "versatility". Not sure he ever threw a pass, but he sure could have. He probably could have kicked and punted, too. And he certainly could have acquitted himself well enough as a DB. Closest to the "Ironman" model in the "modern" era.

I know a lot of fans have mixed emotions about the man, but Ronnie Harmon was one of the all time greats at Iowa at both RB and WR. Now there's just the little matter of that Rose Bowl...

He didn't "win" two Rose Bowls. He was on two Rose Bowl winning teams. He was the backup to Ploen in the '57 Rose Bowl.

He didn't "win" two Rose Bowls. He was on two Rose Bowl winning teams. He was the backup to Ploen in the '57 Rose Bowl.

Cool story but Jumper explained it already (without being a d***). Better contact wiki and set them straight...

Duncan was named first team All-Big Ten. He was also named the 1958 Big Ten MVP, and he was selected as a consensus first team All-American. He won the Walter Camp Award and finished second in the Heisman Trophy balloting. Duncan is one of seven Iowa players to letter from 1956 through 1958. In that span, Iowa's record was 24-3-2 with two Big Ten titles, three top ten rankings in the final Associated Press poll, and two victories in the Rose Bowl.

So do you have an argument against Duncan or just the semantics of my post?

Cool story but Jumper explained it already (without being a d***). Better contact wiki and set them straight...

Duncan was named first team All-Big Ten. He was also named the 1958 Big Ten MVP, and he was selected as a consensus first team All-American. He won the Walter Camp Award and finished second in the Heisman Trophy balloting. Duncan is one of seven Iowa players to letter from 1956 through 1958. In that span, Iowa's record was 24-3-2 with two Big Ten titles, three top ten rankings in the final Associated Press poll, and two victories in the Rose Bowl.

So do you have an argument against Duncan or just the semantics of my post?

I wasn't criticizing the semantics of your post. I was just pointing out the facts. I hope you emotionally recover.

Duncan won two Rose Bowls. Those are the facts. I hope you emotionally recover.

Duncan was on two teams that won Rose Bowls. He lead one team to a Rose Bowl win. The point is, whether it's you or some idiot on wiki, let's not exaggerate what he did in a conversation about greatest of all time. There is a distinction to be made, like it or not.

Latest posts