Greatest Player in Iowa FB History (and you can't vote for Kinnick)

I can think of a few. Alex Karras, Andre Tippett.

Several with the name Hilgenberg. Maybe Mark Bortz.

The men that run with the football or throw it don't have to be at the top. He doesn't do much without some of those guys. They all had long term NFL careers.

There is a reason why Iowa beat up some of the best most physical teams in college football in the years of most of these guys.

Quite a few pro bowls among them except for Joel. He only had one.
I thought this was about players at Iowa, not the NFL careers of players from Iowa. I'm not discounting lineman but your comment about skill players don't do much without linemen I could counter with the linemen didn't put many points on the board. The argument you're putting forth is fruitless. It takes a team and that's why there will never be a consensus to this thread. The thread should have been titled who's your favorite Iowa player.

I thought this was about players at Iowa, not the NFL careers of players from Iowa. I'm not discounting lineman but your comment about skill players don't do much without linemen I could counter with the linemen didn't put many points on the board. The argument you're putting forth is fruitless. It takes a team and that's why there will never be a consensus to this thread. The thread should have been titled who's your favorite Iowa player.

OK, I'll respond to your rather fruitless post.

There are a number of ways to measure greatness. One is by what those in high places think of you. The players I mentioned were given high honors by the NFL which is a measure of greatness, even at the college level. Iowa has had a number of linemen and lbs that measured in that greatness as well as a few skill positions.

That said, Long was never a great NFL QB. At Iowa he had a system tailor made for his skills which included few mistakes. Terrific play maker? Not so much. The guys I mentioned were incredible play makers by college standards, it just that most didn't run with or throw a pig outer shell.

And there never will be a consensus.

As far as favorite players? Since you brought it up, my list doesn't include those on my greatest.

Banks, Banks, Harmon, Roby, Dwight, Bobby Stoops, Chuck Hartlieb, Bell, and Gill.

Added Bonus - Favorite almost Hawkeye...Roger Craig. Remember when he won the state hurdles with long hair....unbelievable

Favorite Hated Opponent Players - Rocky Gillis, Dexter Green. Hate ISU for sure. Had to like these guys.

Latest posts