Grade Brian's Gameplan

OkstHawk

Curious how you'd grade the gameplan this evening?

My grade: C-/D+

Extremely poor and unimaginative through 50 minutes. Thought I was watching Greg Davis. Where were the tight ends, play action and deep shots?

What gameplan? The gameplan to reduce Wadley's per attempt avg by running into 8/9 man fronts?

Curious how you'd grade the gameplan this evening?

My grade: C-/D+

Extremely poor and unimaginative through 50 minutes. Thought I was watching Greg Davis. Where were the tight ends, play action and deep shots?
I'd agree with the C- but Iowa's field position for a lot of that game was poor so that is going to shrink the playbook. But creative might be a pitchout in your own end zone expecting your playmaker to juke one defender. He didn't.

Tight ends were covered by athletic LBs or being held a lot. Herbstreit said PSU wasn't respecting PA all night.

PSU's defense was better than I thought. They stacked the box to stop the run. It worked.

I'd agree with the C- but Iowa's field position for a lot of that game was poor so that is going to shrink the playbook. But creative might be a pitchout in your own end zone expecting your playmaker to juke one defender. He didn't.

Tight ends were covered by athletic LBs or being held a lot. Herbstreit said PSU wasn't respecting PA all night.

PSU's defense was better than I thought.
I think every defense will be better than we thought because they are all going to sell out stopping the run. We need short swing passes, play action and movement of the pocket. Did Stanley even roll out tonight?

I think every defense will be better than we thought because they are all going to sell out stopping the run. We need short swing passes, play action and movement of the pocket. Did Stanley even roll out tonight?
The one draw play worked really well. A couple more of those, screens, misdirection against an aggressive defense ... would seem to work to me. I dunno.

I have to imagine he expected more push out of his o-line. That being said, took way to much time to adjust. D. Would have been a C. But that pitch to Wadley in the end zone deserves a whole grade drop.

I like BF as OC a hell of a lot more than Davis but tonight wasn't impressive. When teams are selling out so much to stop 25 you have to use him more as a decoy. As others have mentioned, where were the roll outs? Hard PA fakes? Misdirection? Their entire LB core was following 25

I like BF as OC a hell of a lot more than Davis but tonight wasn't impressive. When teams are selling out so much to stop 25 you have to use him more as a decoy. As others have mentioned, where were the roll outs? Hard PA fakes? Misdirection? Their entire LB core was following 25

Yeah the play calling in the first half was just all wrong.. however its always hard for me to blame anyone then kirk for the offense... OC's come and go.. and we stil have bad offense.

I like that he passes downfield and uses the middle of the field more, but he hasn't shown me that he has any clue how or when to call a running play. He doesn't get credit when Wadley bails him out, either.

Yeah the play calling in the first half was just all wrong.. however its always hard for me to blame anyone then kirk for the offense... OC's come and go.. and we stil have bad offense.

The thing that really pisses me off is Iowa always runs on 2nd and long. You don't need to watch much tape to figure that out and PSU sold out every single time. And it cost Iowa dearly tonight.

D here with only a couple of exceptions, GD Lite.

Took way too long to adjust. We did not deserve the win but almost got it regardless.