Give us a funny in-stadium story

Difficult to beat that video LOL well done.

OK, for you old-timers out there. You remember the days of the late 70s (pre-hayden) in Kinnick. Awful product on the field, great party atmosphere inside. Nothing much was disallowed.

The north end-zones had grassy slices if you will before they were filled in. People could picnic and hang out on them once they got into the stadium.

1978 home opener vs NWestern. Big guy, like over 350 at least, is partying on the NW grass slice, doobie filing the air, boda's being drained. He was at the top of the slice, stands up to do whatever, loses his already compromised equilibrium and literally falls backwards and rolls down the hill, taking about probably a dozen others. It took four cops to drag him out.

I had transferred to Iowa that Fall...welcome to Kinnick!

Well, it's been a long time, but back in 2008 I had sex with some chick from Iowa in the bathroom at the Metrodome...

Difficult to beat that video LOL well done.

OK, for you old-timers out there. You remember the days of the late 70s (pre-hayden) in Kinnick. Awful product on the field, great party atmosphere inside. Nothing much was disallowed.

I had transferred to Iowa that Fall...welcome to Kinnick!
-------------------------------------
The stuff that went on pre-Hayden in the student section was unbelievable. (student section used to be where 130-131 is now, East stands...North end) I came to a few games still in high school. I recall one game where there was actually a small keg...yes, a keg...in the student section. Not unusual to see a joint being passed around.

There was also a tradition of passing a random girl up, sometimes all the way from the first row to the top. One day, someone brought in a blowup doll. They passed it all the way to the top...and then tossed it over. That caught the attention of security and the body passing was done for that day.

The moment that solidified by "commitment" to IOWA was Iowa-ISU 1977. I was a Sr in high school, my best friend, a year older, was one of the equipment managers for the football team. He got me tickets in the front row of the North end zone. The Hawks upset the clones (at that time ISU was winning more) and the students tore the goal post down right in front of me. Awesome moment I'll never forget

Last edited:
1981 v. UCLA, Reggie Roby, 1:00 kickoff, hot, no searching the student section, etc. - a different era @ Kinnick.

Section H, Row 55, 2 plays into the game, student in front of us is totally hammered, pukes all over the girl in front of him. She rips off her off puke covered tank top, turns, screams "You f***in A**hole!!" and whips the tank top in his face. He drops like a stone and hits the concrete, nobody blinks an eye or checks on him. He doesn't move until halftime.

Hawks win 20-14. Awesome.
I'd like to hear more about this ripped off tank top.

Hayden Fry gave a fans story once when they played at Wisconsin. He said some students snuck a mannequin into their game and dressed it in badger clothing. During a time out the students made it look like they were passing a student up to the top of the stadium, whhen in fact it was the mannequin. When it reached the top they threw it over the side of the stadium and people in attendance thought it was a real person! Hayden said people were gasping.

Penn State in 09 in Happy Valley. AC blocks the punt takes it in. I was in the Iowa section with a few Penn State fans scattered in. Everyone was just going crazy obviously. Guy in front of me jumping up and down just going nuts, stops and not 2 seconds later projectile vomiting all over this family wearing PSU stuff. It literally looked like a fire hose

Not in stadium, but a good story.

Tailgated at 711 Melrose for years before it became a parking lot for the hospital. The lot next door was a house rented by students who would throw big tailgating parties for each home game. The 2008 Iowa vs ISU game we got a shit ton of rain the night before. College students + alcohol + Mud = exactly what you would expect.

The next home game, no party, the students renting the house were kicked out by the UofI as it was a university owned home I guess.

That was when Iowa tailgating was phenomenal. It's a shell of its former self now

Really quiet guy and his wife use to sit behind us. Older couple just the nicest people. Never really tailgated before games. Didn't say a whole lot, just really kept to themselves. Anyway one day the husband just got obliterated before the game. Some class reunion tailgate. Early in the 1st quarter some other fan around us says "we need about a yard for a first down" this nice fan who never says anything stands up and blurts out "Hey my dick is about a yard long!!" I had tears streaming down my face in laughter. His wife did not

Tailgated at 711 Melrose for years before it became a parking lot for the hospital. The lot next door was a house rented by students who would throw big tailgating parties for each home game. The 2008 Iowa vs ISU game we got a shit ton of rain the night before. College students + alcohol + Mud = exactly what you would expect.

The next home game, no party, the students renting the house were kicked out by the UofI as it was a university owned home I guess.

OMG. I SO wanna know how many guys were in the "train"

Good Lord, Deano, hope you didn't have to man the caboose on either of those tracks.

I did get kick out of the first girl blowing a greenie about two minutes in. Nicely done, milady!

Went to a kids day practice when my son was about 4 or 5 years old. When the practice ended my boy asked "who won?" I told him the Hawkeyes did. He yelled out "Go Hawks!" with a little fist pump. It's been a running family joke ever since. When we leave one of the open practices someone always says the "Hawkeyes won again".

FWIW, when you get put into Kinnick jail, they take you to the Johnson co. jail after they have enough to make the trip worthwhile (and they usually do).

If you want to spring your buddy at the real jail, you have to blow a 0.00 before they release your buddy to your cognizance.

Finally, the public intox hearing is the next day at 0-dark-early. So if you live close to IC, no biggie. But if you traveled a long ways, too bad, don't show, you're in contempt and a bench warrant is issued.

Did that happen to you Seth you ask? No, but it did to one of our tailgaters a few years back. He lived in Des Moines and had to come all the way back, on time, for his court appearance. Public intox can be an expensive and time-consuming thing ;)

1985 or so. No cell phones back then. Sitting with the band in the Kinnick north endzone, I hear my name called on the stadium PA - "...please report immediately to security office". EVERYONE assumes it was a death in the family or some major emergency, Dr. Jones says something consoling as I sprint over to the northwest tunnel. I get up to the office and they hand me the phone. "Hey man, it's Matt Daugherty in CR, our band's drummer just bailed and we have a gig tonight at the Holiday Inn, can you sub?"

Christ.

1985 or so. No cell phones back then. Sitting with the band in the Kinnick north endzone, I hear my name called on the stadium PA - "...please report immediately to security office". EVERYONE assumes it was a death in the family or some major emergency, Dr. Jones says something consoling as I sprint over to the northwest tunnel. I get up to the office and they hand me the phone. "Hey man, it's Matt Daugherty in CR, our band's drummer just bailed and we have a gig tonight at the Holiday Inn, can you sub?"

Christ.

Knowing Daugherty...I don't doubt this for a minute.

What I want to know is... did you take the gig?

Ok, somebody else threw in a non-Kinnick story...so I have to share this one again.

15 years ago or so, I'm at family Thanksgiving. My brother-in-law in Ames hosted that year. His wife is a huge clone fan and he sold cars at George White, a Chevy dealership in Ames that caters to clone coaches.

Their son was about 2-3 at the time. Somehow around dinner we got him to say "GO HAWKS" and throw up his hands. Every time he did everybody would go "Yayyyy" and encourage him. (most of the family are Iowa fans). So he kept doing it...and doing it...much to the chagrin of his Mom.

Fast forward to Christmas gathering a month later. His Mom comes up to me and says "I'm pissed at you Mister"..somewhat jokingly, but not really. Apparently they went to the George White dealership Christmas party...and the little guy was running around shouting "GO HAWKS". Needless to say my bro-in-law was embarrassed as hell. To make it even better, they tried getting him to say "Go Cyclones!", but he had trouble pronouncing cyclones <cy ka lones>...so he didn't like doing it.

2007 Albert Young/Damien Simms 1-2 punch at RB. Simms would often come in after Albert had worn down the defense and rip off a long run.

I honestly don't remember whether it happened against Illinois or Minnesota...but there was a mouthy visitor in our section. Iowa has the ball, right in front of us. Young goes out ...Simms comes in. I was a little lubed up myself, so I stood up and yelled at the guy... "Look out...#28 is going all the way, watch him....he's gonna take it to the house"...etc etc.

The guy turns and yells back at me, "yeah bull****, if he does...I'll leave". Needless to say...Simms takes the handoff, finds a slot on the left side, jukes the weakside linebacker and goes 60 yards untouched for the TD. The entire section started razing the guy....yelling "BYE BYE!!!"...and waving him out. The guy finally got up with his girlfriend and left because the taunting was so relentless. His girlfriend was berating him the whole way for opening his mouth.... the crowd loved it.
Classic!

Latest posts