Give us a funny in-stadium story

My Dad took me to one of my first Iowa football games. It was in the late fall of 1965, the last game of the Jerry Burns era. I was only 10 years old. I didn't know it at the time, but Iowa was 1-8 going into that game. Iowa loses the game, but the players hoist Burns on their shoulders and carry him off the field. I turned to my Dad and asked him why were the players so happy, carrying the coach off the field. Did we win?

My Dad looked at me with a straight face and said: "No son, we lost; the players are celebrating the end of the season."

The very last game in the old press box vs Minnesota.

I worked for a company that advertised heavily so we had like 4 or 6 press box passes in addition to my 4 season tickets.

The press box seats were next to dolph and Gary with only separation being Plexiglas. Pretty cool......we even all received t-shirts commemorating the last press box game. Still have it.

The coolest part was, as part of the advertising, they would introduce all my guests over the radio and plug my company

One of my buddies played at ISU back in the dau so i made sure to write it on the sheet and asked them to give him a hard time.

It was hilarious as gary and dolph could see us as they were razzing my friend live on the air. Lots of both of our friends heard it back home too. It was a really good day

Last year....the day/night of the Grapple on the Gridiron and then the FB game vs Minnesota was one of the funnest days i have ever had with iowa sports.

Thr atmosphere alone was phenomenal with how electric the entire day and particularly the evening was. But winning both was pretty special

Latest posts