Give it up for Little John

His play was very entertaining last night. He brought a little flash & excitement to Carver for once. It's been a long time since seeing plays like the behind the back pass. It was actually refreshing compared to the normal plodding style of the Iowa team. Let's not forget the 3 he drained from about 25 ft.

Now was this an aberration or are we to expect this on a consistent basis? Last night was most likely an aberration. He looks like a boy amongst men at certain points such as when he had to back away on the Purdue fast-break when he fell back at the baseline. But, he understands the game & can provide solid minutes & spell Payne. What is most impressive is that for his size, he does not get rattled too easy. Can he handle really tough pressure D for an extended period of time? Prob not but not many freshman can. He is quite a solid reserve. Someone who can provide minutes who understands the game & can protect the ball.

Good job John!!

That is true, but perhaps the more important thing is that he understands what "the system" is supposed to be, and what his role is supposed to be.

He'e been watching it and (presumably) playing in it for years, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he knows more about "the system" than anyone else on the floor.

I'll take it a step back and say the offense isn't nearly as good without Payne in the game.

I've heard quite a few people saying that Lickliter isn't that far behind Payne or that Lickliter should start over Cully.

Boggles my mind. People can't REALLY think that, can they? Wow.

Yes. And yes, it boggles my mind too that I could actually think that, but I would have to say you probably were not in attendance last night, and probably either didn't watch and really pay attention if you did not recognize the excitement, and quite frankly, production, that occurred whan LL was in. Yes, it boggles my mind too!

I'll take it a step back and say the offense isn't nearly as good without Payne in the game.

I've heard quite a few people saying that Lickliter isn't that far behind Payne or that Lickliter should start over Cully.

Boggles my mind. People can't REALLY think that, can they? Wow.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you being sarcastic? For the record I think as a whole the offense has looked much better while lil lick has run the point though in very limited minuites. I don't think that he's a better player than Culley and I don't think he can produce the same kind of results over 15 minuites a game than he has in about 6 minuites over the last couple of games.

For whatever reason with Lick in there there just seems to be more ball movement and less standing around. Am I imagining that?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you being sarcastic? For the record I think as a whole the offense has looked much better while lil lick has run the point though in very limited minuites. I don't think that he's a better player than Culley and I don't think he can produce the same kind of results over 15 minuites a game than he has in about 6 minuites over the last couple of games.

For whatever reason with Lick in there there just seems to be more ball movement and less standing around. Am I imagining that?

No sarcasm involved.
Iowa is a much much better team with Cully Payne at the point. And it's not even close.

I'm not sure it's really arguable.
Once Cully learns to get rid of the jump pass from his arsenal, he'll be even better.

Thanks for the vids.

I don't think "Lil Lick" is necessarily derogatory, and I'm going to guess he doesn't either.

I've got no real complaints against Culley as he's doing as well as can be expected for a TF PG playing 30+ minutes a night. I also believe Culley to be a much better player. That being said I still think we look better in the limited time that Lick is on the floor. I don't know if it's just an "energy" thing or what but the ball seems to move better with him on the floor. Agree to disagree I guess.

No sarcasm involved.
Iowa is a much much better team with Cully Payne at the point. And it's not even close.

I'm not sure it's really arguable.
Once Cully learns to get rid of the jump pass from his arsenal, he'll be even better.
This is the same jump pass problem that Tony had and that Jeff had. Seems like it almost has to be something that's accepted by the coaching staff.

Anyway, John doesn't dribble as much as Cully or do the jump passes mainly because he probably can't, at least for any length of time. The Purdue defenders were trying to shake up Cully; they coasted a bit when John was in there. But he sure did create some excitement in the arena.

I have no clue what some of you are watching when you watch Cully Payne? Cully is and will be a stud. Yes he has had some unfortunate to's, but he handles the ball well, can penetrate fairly consistently, is tough, can find the open man, can hit the open three and is not afraid to take it to the hoop. He may get in trouble at times jumping into the air with the ball, but more often than not, he will hit somebody with a pass. I am impressed with Payne for what he is doing as a fresman. The only problem is that he wears down because of all the minutes he has to play!

This thread made me laugh. To think that Little John is an answer to our problems is very humorous. No way, no how does this kid wear a jersey from any other D1 program across this great country if his dad wasn't the coach of that team.

Tell me you didn't get a nice chuckle with his steal, full court transition bucket with his off-hand against the reigning Big Ten defensive player of the year. And then follows it up with a pretty behind the back pass to a trailing Eric May moments later.

That was sweet.

:p

Couldn't agree more. I say, let the kid play. Who cares what people will say. If he adds a spark like that every game, that could make this year a little more exciting.

Why not play Lick at the #2 instead of Bawinkle for a couple of minutes as well. He could play with Payne and hit the open jumper maybe as good as DW. I don't think we would miss much on either end of the court.

Not according to the official scoring sent to me by the SID... better change up your projections.

10:42 SCSU MISSED 3 PTR by Smalls, Brandon

REBOUND (DEF) by Lickliter, John

10:06 SCSU MISSED 3 PTR by Porter, Darnell

REBOUND (DEF) by Lickliter, John

They send those things to just anybody?

You lose all credit if you actually think Lil Lick should be getting minutes over Cully.

That is really silly.

Lick made a nice play. Hats off.

Part of the reason the play is so exciting and everyone is fired up about it- is because he is just the average kid, he's the best player on your high school team making a nice play. In a D1 game. Thats what he can remind us all of.

He has zero business being on that floor with those athletes. The play was lucky as hell. Sorry. Dont want to rain on the parade but some reality needs to come along with it.

Again. Nice play. Awesome moment. Hopefully in the near future he doesn't get on the court to even make that play.

I understand his success in high school - but guys- come on.

Cully Payne is a legit D1 PG. John Lickliter would not start or even play at most D2 schools. He played ok last night, but I don't think he could sustain that.

JL reminded me of a Robbie Bensen movie called "One on One," where he played a small white boy named Henry Steele. Lick's lay-up and pass were straight out of the movie.

"Up yours, with a red-hot poker...I can play anywhere."

If Lil Lick played more, I would watch all of the time.

It is like being able to project yourself onto the court. It's like ok, I'm not very tall, not very athletic, I wonder what would happen if I played Division 1 ball.

I really like Cully Payne's play but I will say I was surprised by the lift that little Lick gave the team last night. He played hard and with a little moxy.... something the team and the fans have needed. I'm not saying he should be an instant starter but if he can spell Cully for 5-10 minutes a game and provide that kind of lift I'm all for seeing it.

Cully Payne is a legit D1 PG. John Lickliter would not start or even play at most D2 schools. He played ok last night, but I don't think he could sustain that.

As someone who also follows some D2 and mid major D1 ball, I disagree. Heck, two years ago when Ahelegbe went down, someone like JL would have been able to walk in and start at UNI. But hey, keep up the hate.

This thread made me laugh. To think that Little John is an answer to our problems is very humorous. No way, no how does this kid wear a jersey from any other D1 program across this great country if his dad wasn't the coach of that team.

Listen hawkeye12... , if you had been at the arena watching that game, you too would be saying, yes, LL is the answer to our immediate woes -- of which are a complete lack of excitement, little support, little enthusiasm, etc., etc.. The kid's play got the people excited, got them up off their butts, and actually cheering for a change. If what it takes to do THAT is to play a non-scholarship, perhaps non-D1, coach's kid, then that is sufficient enough for me -- and probably the majority of Hawkeye Nation -- to say maybe he's not start-worthy, but he deserves significantly more playing time. Quit looking at things from a purely talent perspective. There are other, more important factors at play here.

Latest posts