Give Fran some ideas on how to energize Carver and the student body.

This is so easy

FREE ICE CREAM CONES

I have no doubt that if there were free ice cream cones Lickliter would still be the coach. Give them soft serve and they will come

Figure out a way to get people to stay for the whole game. I've been to lots of games over the last 25 years so through good times and bad. I've never understood why some people start heading for the exits with 5-10 minutes to go in the game. Doesn't matter whether the Hawks are winning or losing. I guess they need to beat the traffic or something, not that there's ever that much of a traffic jam here in Iowa City.

Have a coffee drinking contest before the game, the more coffee you drink, the closer you get to sit to the opposing teams bench.

After letting this idea percolate a little, I conclude that it has serious potential!

Reseat the students..keep letting them in cheap.
Midnight madness / Pep ralleis.
Preseason scrimages- not sure if we are allowed 1 or 2 but I say thats one that we take on the road and instead of playing Luther or alike, we play a top flight local Juco (if allowed).
Score over 100 on a pre B10 season team.
Score close to or over 100 in the B10.
Recruit a couple dunkers so that some of these breaks finish by getting people out of their seat and hitting you tube.
Embrace the personality that your wife can become around here, and keep her rabid in the stands and gracious in public.

Just win coach. You will have all the support that you need if you do this. The fans will start coming back when they see hope and improvement.
The problem with this year is that you began to see some improvement and then was let down by a 25 pt blow out the following game.

3.Play some games away from home, Quad Cities-Sioux City-Des Moines-Mason City, fill up those areanas and bring back the hawkeye state by showing it off around the state.

How about Des Moines, Cedar Falls, and Ames? Oh, wait...

Terrible idea. I went to a Hawkeye NIT game in The Mark of the Quad Cities--what a hole. No thanks.

Have a coffee drinking contest before the game, the more coffee you drink, the closer you get to sit to the opposing teams bench.

I like it! Keep 'em all jittery. Maybe that's how Duke gets their students to jump up and down throughout the game.

The only problem is that the restrooms are way up on the concourse.

What venue would they play in Mason City? That one left me baffled. :confused:

1) Run a full court press. We haven't seen that the past three years.

2) Definately move the student section to the side & low court. They pay a lot of money to go to college (or parents do). This is their experience. I know there are donors, but come on. Get the kids down closer. The donors will keep giving & understand. There isn't that bad of a seat in Carver. There are still great seats the donors could sit in.

3) As stated above, cheap tickets for students, especially the OOC games.

4) Have the band freaking lose the hockey uniforms. Hello, 1996 called & it wants its hockey uniforms back!

5) Have a kick-azz introduction for the players with some kick-azz music. This will also energize the student fan-base. Also have a kick-azz announcer do the intro.

6) Make the Carver experience more of an event than just a game.

7) Having your wife involved certainly can't hurt.

Who cares about introductions. Can you seriously remember the last time the excitement of an introduction lasted more than 5 seconds into a game?

How about they play a tournament in Wells Fargo with ISU,Drake, and UNI they put their names in a hat for first opps. A basketball winner takes all, with a rivalry trophy. Changing the student seating at games would help at CHA thats for sure. Then how about piping in a screeching hawks for a sound effect everytime a hawkeye player dunks. This is probably out of our control but changing the times for games wouldn't hurt either.

How about they play a tournament in Wells Fargo with ISU,Drake, and UNI they put their names in a hat for first opps. A basketball winner takes all, with a rivalry trophy. Changing the student seating at games would help at CHA thats for sure. Then how about piping in a screeching hawks for a sound effect everytime a hawkeye player dunks. This is probably out of our control but changing the times for games wouldn't hurt either.

I have long thought thate the 4 Universities should go to a weekend tournament format in place of the round Robin format we have now. It would generate excitment, crown a champion and open up a slot for another game (hopefully vs a quality opponent).

I have long thought thate the 4 Universities should go to a weekend tournament format in place of the round Robin format we have now. It would generate excitment, crown a champion and open up a slot for another game (hopefully vs a quality opponent).

But then you've got the whole issue of splitting up the revenue. ISU did this a couple years back when they played Ohio State and Bradley at the Well in the non-con. Financially, it was deemed to be a disaster, and it hasn't been brought up since.

If you could do it in a way where both schools got a share of the gate, parking, and concessions, I'd be all for it - but the people that run Well Fargo are going to want their cut.

My thinking is that it would Be a rotating Venue and Each school would have a chance to host it. The financial challenge would then be to replace the 1 or 2 instate home games with quality opponents that would draw equal crowd interest.

Latest posts