Giants' LB coach Jim Herrmann new DC according to Jaleel Johnson

And how many years ago was that Raziel? You seem to be saying that a coach doesn't continue to learn and adapt on the job. I'm sure he hasn't learned anything from his experiences at Michigan as their DC and his time spent in the NFL.... Ya I'm sure being a part of a Super Bowl Champ. team taught him nothing.

How ignorant are you? Some people won't ever be pleased. I think it's a great hire. He's a guy with loads of experience who has been there before and wants to get there again. He has plenty of time left to coach and wants to make the most of it. He knows what it takes to be successful at the highest level as a player and as a coach. His players will respect him and play hard for him. Most importantly he is CHANGE. He'll bring some new fire into the program and likely some new philosophies. Hopefully he joins the staff on Wed.

I'm sure Herrmann got a lot of experience stopping spread offenses & mobile QB's in the NFL....yeah, and you call me ignorant?

Bradley, on the other hand, has had a consistently great defense for 30 years, under the greatest college football coach of all time, & has never been asked to leave. Plus, he's pretty much universally looked to as the best recruiter on the PSU staff. Anyone who thinks that Herrmann is a better hire than Bradley either A.) Hasn't done their homework, or B.) Is concerned about the PR of the hire linked to the sex abuse scandal (a valid concern).

Bradley is a much better football hire. Period.

But with Michigan you are talking an insanely high standard. They don't win the B10 and heads get rolled - they have been the last 5 years over there.

Plus, if he can recruit, that is 3/4 of the battle when it comes to college football.

I'm not saying I hate the Herrmann hire, I'm just saying I'd strongly prefer Bradley because, given the evidence, he is a much better football hire.

I like Herrmann, but he is a distant 2nd on my list to Bradley....that said, my list doesn't matter. I'm confident Kirk will make the best choice for the team.

In Herrmann's last year with Michigan (2005), UM was 24th in the nation in scoring defense and 36th in total defense. In 2003, they were 11th & 11th. In 2002, they were 26th in scoring defense. In 2001, they were 12th total 9th scoring.

The guy has a good resume, and find me a defensive coordinator out there today who has solved the riddle of consistently shutting down spread offenses.

In Herrmann's last year with Michigan (2005), UM was 24th in the nation in scoring defense and 36th in total defense. In 2003, they were 11th & 11th. In 2002, they were 26th in scoring defense. In 2001, they were 12th total 9th scoring.

The guy has a good resume, and find me a defensive coordinator out there today who has solved the riddle of consistently shutting down spread offenses.

And again, as you stated, that's with a lot better talent then he'll have at Iowa. His defense had more star talent on it than every opposing offense he faced those seasons (with the exception of Ohio State/PSU maybe) & he still didn't field what one would consider to be elite level defenses.

Norm out performed those stats many years with lesser recruits.

Bradley is the better DC. Herrmann would be in my top 3 of the names I've heard thrown around, but if both candidates applied, I'd hire Bradley without hesitation.

And again, as you stated, that's with a lot better talent then he'll have at Iowa. His defense had more star talent on it than every opposing offense he faced those seasons (with the exception of Ohio State/PSU maybe) & he still didn't field what one would consider to be elite level defenses.

Bradley is the better DC. Herrmann would be in my top 3 of the names I've heard thrown around, but if both candidates applied, I'd hire Bradley without hesitation.

This is exactly where I stand. I like Herrmann as a prospect considering what's been presented, but my top choice would be Bradley.

Your last sentence shows
you don't work risk management
Penn Staters needs time

Sounds like Herrmann would be a good, solid hire.

I also don't think it's ever a bad thing to have coaches on your staff that have spent a lot of time in a winning culture. After spending 20 years at Michigan where they won national titles, and now the Giants where he just won a Super Bowl, Herrmann should know a thing or two about winning.

Last edited:
I'm sure he's coached against Vick multiple times in the NFL. Plus many NFL teams spread it out. The majority of NFL QB's today are athletic enough to make plays on their own outside the pocket. I have zero concern about him lacking experience against mobile QB's and spread offenses.

Bradley would be a good hire as well, but it would come with a stink to it. Personally, I could care less about his ties to the PSU scandal because he didn't really have anything to do with it. However, the University doesn't need to drag it's image through the mud anymore than it already has the past few years.

My guess is Kirk is going to have a similar base philosophy...and that is not sexy on the inside, where the work takes place. Talent comes closer together on the inside where it can be more about want to, and staying in your gap than being flashy and trying to make the big plays.

Is there anything out there other than a facebook post of a signed recruit saying Herrmann is the guy?

I get ya. I mean I like Bradley probley more, too. But Bradley has had some really good talent as well on the defensive side of the ball. They get some really good recruits in Happy Valley, which I'm sure you are aware of. But I understand your reasoning.

Not sure how up to date it is, but:

Hawkeyes Currently Active in the NFL
Player Pos. Current Team NFL Service
Pat Angerer LB Indianapolis Colts 1st year
Jonathan Babineaux DT Atlanta Falcons 5 years
Colin Cole DL Seattle Seahawks 7 years
Sean Considine DB Jacksonville Jaguars 5 years
A.J. Edds LB Miami Dolphins 1st year
Bradley Fletcher DB St. Louis Rams 1 year
Charles Godfrey DB Carolina Panthers 2 years
Chad Greenway LB Minnesota Vikings 4 years
Abdul Hodge LB Cincinnati Bengals 4 years
Ken Iwebema DL Arizona Cardinals 2 years
Mitch King DL Indianapolis Colts 1 year
Matt Kroul DL New York Jets 1 year
Bryan Mattison DL Baltimore Ravens 2 years
Marcus Paschal DB Baltimore Ravens 2 years
Derreck Robinson DL Cleveland Browns 5 years
Matt Roth DE Cleveland Browns 5 years
Bob Sanders DB Indianapolis Colts 6 years
Amari Spievey DB Detroit Lions 1st year

Hawkeyes and Professional Football - Iowa Official Athletic Site

Yeah, Norm didn't have any talent to work with. :confused:

I think there has been more talent in Iowa Football in recent years than some people are willing to admit.

This list is defense-only:

I think there has been more talent in Iowa Football in recent years than some people are willing to admit.

Plenty of talent...not a lot of depth....and on a defense like UM, depth is a HUGE advantage....Iowa has never had anywhere near the advantage UM had when Herrmann was there in terms of depth. Ever.

When I mentioned "star talent", I was specifically trying to allude to depth...not only the talent of starters on the field.

Last edited:
JJ is probably just having a lot of fun with this, secretly knowing it's been Phil Parker all along.

I get ya. I mean I like Bradley probley more, too. But Bradley has had some really good talent as well on the defensive side of the ball. They get some really good recruits in Happy Valley, which I'm sure you are aware of. But I understand your reasoning.

I agree with you that Bradley had talent at PSU, but the difference is Bradley fielded what I'd consider to be an "elite" level defense. For instance, from 2005-2009, PSU had a top 15 defense in terms of yards allowed each year (per Rivals stats) - and they had two top 5 defenses in that category over the course of those 5 seasons. In this era of spread happy football, that is insanely impressive.

Not sure how up to date it is, but:

Also, that list doesn't even include Clayborn, Ballard, Klug and Sash. Tarp made the Pats as well.

My guess is Kirk is going to have a similar base philosophy...and that is not sexy on the inside, where the work takes place. Talent comes closer together on the inside where it can be more about want to, and staying in your gap than being flashy and trying to make the big plays.

The problem that I have is that this is partially why he was forced out at Michigan. Defense declined and they were running more gimmicky sets post-2000. I know they were running some of that 3-3-5 stuff against OSU and other teams when Woodley was there.

Also, that list doesn't even include Clayborn, Ballard, Klug and Sash. Tarp made the Pats as well.

Ah, yes. Those guys, too. In looking at that list, their NFL Experience vs. the years they played at Iowa, it looks like that list was created maybe 2008-09 or so.

From what I read of him before, I didn't really want him. However, he has a MNC and Super Bowl win as part of his resume, so that can't hurt; and surely could help with recruits. I hope he learned a few things during his time in the pros, but how much can you really learn there about defending the college spread?

Well for starters you better do all you can to get ATH like Bama Mose!

Latest posts