Giants' LB coach Jim Herrmann new DC according to Jaleel Johnson

I agree there are way too many creepers out there but Jaleel is bringing the attention on himself. He knows he has a platform to speak from and his messages will get out. Just not very smart to keep feeding the creepers and wind up starting out on the wrong foot with Ferentz.

No one's creeping on anyone. He's putting this stuff out there in public. I'm not his follower or his friend and I have easy access to anything he posts. To use a clothing metaphor: we're reading his t-shirts, not looking at his underwear.

It's still creeping. You have to actively search the players' names on FB to find and read their wall. This is college football with 18 year old kids finishing HS, not the NFL. It seems a little weird to me to be doing this.

Good lord some of you are real nancies.

So what if it was posted on Facebook? Big deal. I HIGHLY doubt KF is going to call up Jaleel and tell him, a kid who is still a senior in HS to keep things off Facebook. Do you idiots think that KF included the social media policy in the scholly packet?

You dopes have gone 2 months speculating, dreaming, begging for info, etc. about who will be the next d-coordinator. And NOW you are tearing an 18 year old kid apart for posting it on Facebook. Big friggin deal. IF Herrmann is the DC, and Jaleel knew about it, can you really blame him for being excited? I mean, a coach he will be spending considerable time with next year just won the Super Bowl.

The announcement was going to be made in 2 days. KF isn't going to get bent out of shape w/ Jaleel because of this. The social media policy will be covered in depth when the guys get on campus. Until then, KF doesn't really have a say nor is he going to lose sleep over something like this.

I can't believe some of the stuff you guys get bent out of shape about. Besides, there is absolutely nothing out there, other than pure speculation and this FB post, to say Herrmann is the DC.

He follows it up by saying that he "hears it is a strong possibility" and that he is hoping for it. Doesn't sound like an announcement, just a Giants fan who is now a Hawkeye and hopeful.

Honestly any of us can piece this together as there is a good reason why the DC position has not been filled yet. If it was anyone else you would think that it would have already been announced.

Whats the difference between seeing a post of his on your news feed (for anyone who understands facebook) and talking about him on a site like this? If you make no moves to talk to him online, how is it any different to come here and talk ABOUT him?

If it is Hermann...

The hawks need someone with experience and if it is herrmann he has big time college DC experience and has probably gained a ton more experience to mold his philosophy. If this is the hire I hope we see some of the pro=type blitz schemes and the giants play tough pass coverage.

then that's fine. Just as it would have been fine if Phil Parker was the coordinator.

But just to remind people, the overwhelming reason the Giants D played so well down the stretch was due to the dominating play of their front 4. Their secondary was good, but not great. They finished ranked 20-something as far as pass yards allowed this year. When they got on the run late in the season and the playoffs it was largely the great front 4 causing havoc. Sounds familiar?

Wednesday will be interesting for sure.

From what I read of him before, I didn't really want him. However, he has a MNC and Super Bowl win as part of his resume, so that can't hurt; and surely could help with recruits. I hope he learned a few things during his time in the pros, but how much can you really learn there about defending the college spread?

Iowa actually did pretty well against spread offenses in 2011.

To not be excited about Herrmann assumes that he has somehow managed to not learn a thing since he last coached at Michigan and that he has somehow managed to maintain employment at the highest level of his profession despite the fact that some Walmart Wolverines thought he sucked. In other words, if he was good enough for Lloyd Carr and the Super Bowl champions, it's insane to think he'll be in over his head at Iowa.

Putting aside his coaching chops for a minute, the dude recruited the Big Ten. He knows the coaches so he can hit the ground running. A shiny Super Bowl ring doesn't hurt either.

In my mind, he is the IDEAL candidate and we should be thrilled to have him if this rumor proves to be true.

Iowa actually did pretty well against spread offenses in 2011.

To not be excited about Herrmann assumes that he has somehow managed to not learn a thing since he last coached at Michigan and that he has somehow managed to maintain employment at the highest level of his profession despite the fact that some Walmart Wolverines thought he sucked. In other words, if he was good enough for Lloyd Carr and the Super Bowl champions, it's insane to think he'll be in over his head at Iowa.

Putting aside his coaching chops for a minute, the dude recruited the Big Ten. He knows the coaches so he can hit the ground running. A shiny Super Bowl ring doesn't hurt either.

In my mind, he is the IDEAL candidate and we should be thrilled to have him if this rumor proves to be true.

They did so-so against the spread, but not really well. Northwestern torched us and Dolph was comparing Steele Jantz to Vince Young against us. They did well against Michigan, but Denard had horrible accuracy that day. I can't even count how many passes he overthrew to open wr's downfield.

This doesn't even count Marqueis Gray having one of his best games in his career against us.

Last edited:
i'm in agreement that if he is the new DC, he'll have learned quite a bit from his NFL experience and will be able to bring a fresh perspective and actually will be able to do some recruiting. all a plus as far as i'm concerned.

This is from Hlas' article:

Herrmann did have a phone discussion with Iowa wide receivers coach Erik Campbell Wednesday.
“The only reason I talked to Soup (Campbell), we worked together at Michigan. Every year I wish him luck on Signing Day because it’s a big day for college coaches.â€￾

To me this seems pretty telling. So you just happened to have a discussion w/ an old friend who's currently an Iowa coach AND your name has been floated as a possible defensive coordinator candidate?

I'm buying into this

This is from Hlas' article:

Herrmann did have a phone discussion with Iowa wide receivers coach Erik Campbell Wednesday.
“The only reason I talked to Soup (Campbell), we worked together at Michigan. Every year I wish him luck on Signing Day because it’s a big day for college coaches.â€￾

To me this seems pretty telling. So you just happened to have a discussion w/ an old friend who's currently an Iowa coach AND your name has been floated as a possible defensive coordinator candidate?

I'm buying into this

Agreed. I call BS.

Ferentz and Lloyd Carr are tight...would not be shocked if KF called Carr to pick his brain about his DC opening...Herrmann was a DC for Carr during most of Carr's time as Michigan HC. During the Carr era, Michigan and Iowa's defensive philosophies were very similar...offensively, too...Michigan just had better players most of the time, or more highly rated players.

Ferentz and Lloyd Carr are tight...would not be shocked if KF called Carr to pick his brain about his DC opening...Herrmann was a DC for Carr during most of Carr's time as Michigan HC. During the Carr era, Michigan and Iowa's defensive philosophies were very similar...offensively, too...Michigan just had better players most of the time, or more highly rated players.

And even with those better players, Herrmann was forced to "move on" from UM, primarily due to the fact that he struggled with spread offenses and mobile QB's...sound familiar?

Not saying I think Herrmann would be a terrible hire, but I'd strongly prefer Tom Bradley.

If we get Herman, it'll make almost everyone in Hawkeye Nation happy. How can you argue the benefit of a coach who can flash a Super Bowl ring at recruits?

JL seems like a good get but facebooking this seems a bit disrespectful to me. Everyone knows Iowa keeps things in house. This is one of the biggest hires of KF's career and he deserves every chance to announce it the way he wants to. Somehow I doubt that includes a new recruit breaking the news via facebook.

And how many years ago was that Raziel? You seem to be saying that a coach doesn't continue to learn and adapt on the job. I'm sure he hasn't learned anything from his experiences at Michigan as their DC and his time spent in the NFL.... Ya I'm sure being a part of a Super Bowl Champ. team taught him nothing.

How ignorant are you? Some people won't ever be pleased. I think it's a great hire. He's a guy with loads of experience who has been there before and wants to get there again. He has plenty of time left to coach and wants to make the most of it. He knows what it takes to be successful at the highest level as a player and as a coach. His players will respect him and play hard for him. Most importantly he is CHANGE. He'll bring some new fire into the program and likely some new philosophies. Hopefully he joins the staff on Wed.

And even with those better players, Herrmann was forced to "move on" from UM, primarily due to the fact that he struggled with spread offenses and mobile QB's...sound familiar?

Not saying I think Herrmann would be a terrible hire, but I'd strongly prefer Tom Bradley.

But with Michigan you are talking an insanely high standard. They don't win the B10 and heads get rolled - they have been the last 5 years over there.

Plus, if he can recruit, that is 3/4 of the battle when it comes to college football.

Latest posts