Gesell's Foul

Thought he was trying to get the 5 second call. I seriously thought he had it when the whistle blew. That was a very very slight foul. Stunned that light contact was called in that situation.

NEVER woulda been called against msu in east lansing. EVER.

Sigh...................................
a little sand in your vagina?

The ref was actually letting Mike play. It looked like he was intentionally trying to foul as he put his hands on the Illinois player 3 times before it was actually called. Could have/should have been called a couple seconds earlier

Thought he was trying to get the 5 second call. I seriously thought he had it when the whistle blew. That was a very very slight foul. Stunned that light contact was called in that situation.

NEVER woulda been called against msu in east lansing. EVER.

Sigh...................................

You watch the replay? Mike was fouling him the entire time. You can't put your hand on the offensive player like he was.

I want to know his thought process on that.

You watch the replay? Mike was fouling him the entire time. You can't put your hand on the offensive player like he was.

I want to know his thought process on that.

I agree. Why at that point in the game are you putting yourself in the situation where they could call you for a foul?

No way that was intentional.

I don't think it was either, but he was fouling him so much with the hand checking that it made me wonder for a second. The ref didn't want to call the foul but had to. Mike didn't give him a choice.

This is why basketball is turning into a lousy sport. That was a no call - had zero effect on the dribbler.

Considering that emphasizing calling hand checking up top was like the biggest topic in CBB before the season I'd have to say that was the poster call that refs will use in the following years. So obvious.

Jon said it best, not a situation to be overzealous with close def. That said, I thought it was fantastic def and a bad call.

Tough break for Mike. He played a good game.

But the hand checking was not called, it wasn't until Gesell made a weak attempt to swipe at the ball with his right hand that he got called.

Yeah, I know but there was no loss of possession. I'm just saying a no call there would have been appropriate. Not the reason for the loss by any means.

In that situation with the spotlight on at the end of the game the official almost has to make that call. If he doesn't he might get suspended for a week and miss out on $100,000. Got to put the blame on Gesell on that one, just baffling.

Yeah, I know but there was no loss of possession. I'm just saying a no call there would have been appropriate. Not the reason for the loss by any means.

Sure a no call would have been appropriate. However, he shouldnt have put himself in a situation where he could have been called for a foul. He was 25ft from the basket. No need to be in his hip pocket.

Hey you guys keep your chin up. Illinois is a solid ball club that isn't a bad loss at all in your house.

Hey Deanvogs were ya at? Remember this gem? My all-time favorite!

"I agree with this. I don't think Iowa will roll into Hilton and win easy. If they do win, it will be a very tough game.

That said, I have ZERO doubts that Iowa will have a better overall year, and will easily make the tourney, and ISU will be lucky to be a bubble team."

ZERO doubts. ZERO

In that situation with the spotlight on at the end of the game the official almost has to make that call. If he doesn't he might get suspended for a week and miss out on $100,000. Got to put the blame on Gesell on that one, just baffling.

Sure a no call would have been appropriate. However, he shouldnt have put himself in a situation where he could have been called for a foul. He was 25ft from the basket. No need to be in his hip pocket.

I can't disagree with either of you. But honestly we have seen MSU get away with worse.

But we are not MSU, I get it.

I can't disagree with either of you. But honestly we have seen MSU get away with worse.

But we are not MSU, I get it.

MSU gets a lot of calls that we don't. I just don't think that was one of them. I think that gets called a foul for any team. But I understand you thoughts and feelings on it. It's how I feel all the time when watching MSU.

I don't get why people have such a problem with the foul. I like that he tried to go for the five second call knowing that they wouldn't shoot free throws if he were called for a foul. Makes more sense than laying way off him with no pressure on the ball.

I don't get why people have such a problem with the foul. I like that he tried to go for the five second call knowing that they wouldn't shoot free throws if he were called for a foul. Makes more sense than laying way off him with no pressure on the ball.

I guess if you don't take the game clock in to consideration that makes sense. I doubt Wooden, Knight, or Coach K would agree with you here though.

Latest posts